Harrison Mixbus in $49 deal at dontcrack

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

Harrison Mixbus in $49 deal at dontcrack

Post by glowrak guy »

http://www.dontcrack.com/news/2019/08/b ... xbus-free/

Harrison Mixbus is free with purchase of any AVA plugin ($49 each),
a good opportunity to support a linux daw maker,
and get into the professional Harrison sound environments.

Deal ends September 2nd

Cheers
tavasti
Established Member

Re: Harrison Mixbus in $49 deal at dontcrack

Post by tavasti »

I think there is no Linux-version from AVA-plugins?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

There's a d-esser and an EQ with linux versions:

http://store.dontcrack.com/?manufacturers_id=91

Cheers
turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

What's the deal with Mixbus - is it simply Ardour with better graphics and their own EQ and compressor on every track? Do they give back to Ardour?
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

turbidh20 wrote:What's the deal with Mixbus - is it simply Ardour with better graphics and their own EQ and compressor on every track? Do they give back to Ardour?
Wot?
Yes or no
Yes
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

At the same time is and isn't ardour. It is based on it so if you are familiar with ardour you will not notice too much difference but there are limitations in place that could seriously affect your workflow depending on how you use it. The last time I checked it you could not use stereo signals on your own bus/auxes, they output mono. For example, you have a left and right channel recording and you would like to bus them so you have one channel to do eq and level changes, mixbus doesn't follow the channels' panning and outputs them from the bus as mono. So you are forced in to using their mixbuses. I don't remember the details but I think you couldn't create sends from one bus to another. It was a big deal for me at the time and I enquired and Harrison said it's intentional behaviour but for me it was unusable.

If it suits your workflow it is nice though and in some ways like ardour pro.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

turbidh20 wrote:What's the deal with Mixbus - is it simply Ardour with better graphics and their own EQ and compressor on every track? Do they give back to Ardour?
As far as I understand they work together with Ardour, paying for ardour dev or having their own workers working on ardour codebase. So if you pay for Mixbus, it will also benefit Ardour.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

Mixbus has a unique mixer based on Harrison's world class consoles. EQ, limiting/ compression high pass and Mixbus sends are built into every channel. It has eight (or 12 with the premium version) fixed mix busses each with tape saturation eq and compression/ limiting . The master bus also has saturation, a K meter and a built in brick wall limiter as well as eq and compression / limiting. Once you are used to all the tools at your fingertips it is hard to go back.

If you sign up for their offers it periodically goes as low as $39. They also occasionally do a bundle with Mixbus plus all their lv2 fx.

The support is excellent. I emailed for a download link on a new install. I had a prompt reply and they Re sent all my licenses. They do not limit the machines you install it on and it is cross platform.
turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

Thanks for all the feedback folks. I think I'll give Mixbus another go and probably get it when on offer, if I get on with it. I'll be making a donation to the Ardour devs anyway.
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

turbidh20 wrote:Thanks for all the feedback folks. I think I'll give Mixbus another go and probably get it when on offer, if I get on with it. I'll be making a donation to the Ardour devs anyway.
If you are using Ardour you will be able to open your projects in Mixbus but some settings, such as pan, do not transfer between the two DAWs and will need resetting.
turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

Cheers EG, that's the kind of very useful info I need. It sounds like you're very experienced with Mixbus. I've only one project in Ardour but it is finished bar final mixing/mastering. I'll do the import test into Mixbus for the experience and to test the differences!

Would you recommend any of the AVA plugins in the OP? I might take the plunge from that offer.
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

turbidh20 wrote:Cheers EG, that's the kind of very useful info I need. It sounds like you're very experienced with Mixbus. I've only one project in Ardour but it is finished bar final mixing/mastering. I'll do the import test into Mixbus for the experience and to test the differences!

Would you recommend any of the AVA plugins in the OP? I might take the plunge from that offer.
I bought most of their original range so I have not been tempted by the AVA Plugins. If you buy from a third party make sure you are entitled to the free updates for the 5 series and Harrison's excellent support.