ACM-2A Plug-In for Linux

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

ACM-2A Plug-In for Linux

Post by mike@overtonedsp »

I recently posted something about this to the Ardour (and Reaper) forums - anyway, a little while ago (as a user, rather than a developer), I found myself trying out a plug-in, with a great looking 3D modelled photo-realistic UI - but I couldn’t help feeling that sometimes you can have too much of a good thing. And it got me thinking that perhaps it was time to experiment a little and see if I could cook up something that kept the essence of the original hardware (so the visual cues are there for those familiar with them) but with a more stylized, and modern UI.
At the same time, I’ve watched Linux gaining in popularity for audio significantly over the last year - with more plug-ins and DAWs being ported all the time it seems (which is great to see, especially as someone who has been involved at some level for the past decade - initially with the linuxDSP plug-ins).
The result is the ACM-2A plug-in for Linux - its available through the Applied Computer Music Technologies Ltd website.
The perfect antidote for anyone who's overindulged on super-realistic 3D modelled flaky paint and rusty vintage metalwork…
jonetsu
Established Member

Re: ACM-2A Plug-In for Linux

Post by jonetsu »

Hello Mike,

Works very fine. Very nice sound. This said, some questions:

1) What is the difference in principle between the ACM-2A and an OvertoneDSP PTC-2A ?

2) Well, what's the difference between Applied Computer Music Technologies and OvertoneDSP ?

Cheers.

PS: I left you a private message 'some time ago', a technical user question concerning the licenses of past products.
Last edited by jonetsu on Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

edit: apologies, I wasn't sure if this was real.
Last edited by sysrqer on Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

jonetsu wrote:Hello Mike,

Works very fine. Very nice sound. This said, some questions:

1) What is the difference in principle between the ACM-2A and an OvertoneDSP PTC-2A ?

2) Well, what's the difference between Applied Computer Music Technologies and OvertoneDSP ?
Same questions!

Nice work on a modern look, although I'm also a big fan of the gorgeous GUI on your PTC-2A.
listenable at c6a7.org
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

ufug wrote: Nice work on a modern look, although I'm also a big fan of the gorgeous GUI on your PTC-2A.
Indeed the PTC-2A, and it's PTM-5A midrange counterpart, have very nice UIs.
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

1. What I wanted to do with the ACM-2A was explore the idea of keeping the visual cues for those familiar with e.g. original hardware, but provide something with a modern look (as a kind of antidote to the proliferation of ever more ultra-realistic UIs) at the same time, 'under the lid' the DSP has been tweaked a bit, it allows me to do some things I have wanted to try for a while, but didn't want to change the character of the original. Maybe think of it like a limited edition version.
As I mentioned on the ardour forum, the idea is to build on what I had already created, and take it to the next level (at the same time this is going back to my roots, in the sense that plug-ins for Linux was where it all started, about ten years ago - and it just felt like the right time to do something like this).

2. Its my company, we have normally provided more business to business solutions etc through the Applied Computer Music Technologies website - and the OverTone DSP range of plug-ins are products I make and sell through that company.
Nice work on a modern look, although I'm also a big fan of the gorgeous GUI on your PTC-2A.
Thank you - of course I'm a big fan of the original too, but this is just a slightly different visual 'take' on it.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

So what are the perks to spend £36.00 for an eq when one already has the PTC-2A ? I did a quick compare and they sound pretty much the same.

PS: I left you a private message 'some time ago' (January 2019), a technical user question concerning the licenses of past products. It is still not being picked up.
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

So what are the perks to spend £36.00 for an eq when one already has the PTC-2A ? I did a quick compare and they sound pretty much the same.
Obviously no-one has to buy it - if you're happy with the original PTC-2A, that's great - but we get feedback - mainly from some of our professional users, that they don't always need the super-realistic UIs, they just need the visual cues, like the control layout etc - so they can recognize the settings at a glance. First and foremost they just want a great sounding product. And with more pro-audio users looking into using Linux, and more and more DAWs and plug-ins now available, we wanted to pitch this more towards that market.
In terms of the sound - it has a different saturation character and the reference point is a bit different, so that changes the way it sounds if you hit it with a lot of signal.

(You should have had a reply to your message now - if you have any questions regarding that or any of the other plug-ins, please don't hesitate to use the contact form on the website(s) or email direct)
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

All right thanks !

Cheers.
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

Another addition to the range:

The ACM500 channel EQ builds on the original EQ500 processing, offering different control ranges, mid Q control, a highpass filter for taming subsonic frequencies or acoustic noise / rumble, switchable phase / polarity and an output level trim.
eikakot
Established Member

Post by eikakot »

Looking nice! Do you have any plans of making it cross platform or will it stay Linux only? I'm personaly using Linux but occasionaly I share my DAW projects with other people using other OS and it would be great for them to be able to use same plugins. Thanks!
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

Do you have any plans of making it cross platform or will it stay Linux only?
Its Linux only at the moment - with more DAWs available for Linux (and more developers porting their plug-ins) the idea was to create a new set of plug-ins which might appeal to e.g. professional users thinking of making the move from their current OS to Linux, or at least incorporating Linux into their existing workflow - so you might have to persuade those you share projects with to embrace Linux :)

Meanwhile, there's now a channel compressor too: