Overtone AF210/M Graphical EQ & FFT Plug-in 50% Off

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

finotti
Established Member

Overtone AF210/M Graphical EQ & FFT Plug-in 50% Off

Post by finotti »

In case anyone is interested, Overtones's AF210/M Graphical EQ & FFT Plug-in is 50% off until 07/16. (It was about US$40 for me.)

I am not sure if it's worth it, as I haven't tested it yet, and we have some really nice EQs already (x42, eq10q, calf, LSP...) but I figured I would try it and support Overtone, since it supports Linux.

Anyway, just FYI.

(Link: https://www.overtonedsp.co.uk/download/ ... index.html)
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Overtone AF210/M Graphical EQ & FFT Plug-in 50% Off

Post by sysrqer »

It's the best we have imo.
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

Post by mike@overtonedsp »

...I am not sure if it's worth it...
Thanks for that emphatic endorsement.. :) I hope you enjoy using it, and, while there are undoubtedly some fine free EQs available, the AF2-10 is distinguished by modelling the analogue filter response across the entire audio range, which for some filter types even permits a cutoff frequency which is effectively beyond the Nyquist point, and it does so without requiring oversampling, which means you get more efficient CPU usage and none of the potential side-effects. How much that matters depends on individual use cases but, to the best of my knowledge the other EQs you mention don't do this.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

mike@overtonedsp wrote:
...I am not sure if it's worth it...
Thanks for that emphatic endorsement.. :)
Well, I haven't tried it yet (so I cannot really recommend), and even then I trusted you so much I spent my money on it. :-)
mike@overtonedsp wrote: I hope you enjoy using it, and, while there are undoubtedly some fine free EQs available, the AF2-10 is distinguished by modelling the analogue filter response across the entire audio range, which for some filter types even permits a cutoff frequency which is effectively beyond the Nyquist point, and it does so without requiring oversampling, which means you get more efficient CPU usage and none of the potential side-effects. How much that matters depends on individual use cases but, to the best of my knowledge the other EQs you mention don't do this.
Thanks for the info. It sounds interesting and I look forward trying it!
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

... It sounds interesting and I look forward trying it!
If you need more information about getting the best from it - installing it, or using it with your host application(s) / distro etc, you're welcome to use the contact form on the website (and most likely I) will get back to you as soon as possible.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Hi, I do have a question. There are 4 user slots. How are presets saved into them to be recalled in other sessions ?

Cheers.
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

There are 4 user slots. How are presets saved into them to be recalled in other sessions
That depends upon your host application - most host applications should provide a means to export a plug-in's preset settings. The plug-in itself does not provide its own preset management system (other than the selector buttons) as this is increasingly difficult to provide in a cross-platform compatible way (for example, on Mac OS there are increasingly strict requirements on where and how you can access file locations - and the file system - from within an application due to sandboxing and / or "security", whereas on Linux there is no 'standard' GUI file browser - as it depends on what desktop / distro / etc etc - therefore an application / plug-in can't know in advance unless it carries e.g. all the GTK, GTK2, GTK3 and Qt and other dependencies just in case - or just provides its own basic X11 version). And for VST3 it is mandated in the specification that the host be responsible for preset management, primarily to present a consistent user interface across different plug-ins.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

OK, thanks, I'll see what Bitwig does.

Other than that about file management, I'd say, ask the user for a path where to save them presets, done. No ?

Cheers.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

mike@overtonedsp wrote:
... It sounds interesting and I look forward trying it!
If you need more information about getting the best from it - installing it, or using it with your host application(s) / distro etc, you're welcome to use the contact form on the website (and most likely I) will get back to you as soon as possible.
Thanks! Although I don't foresee having a problem running it, as the other plugins from Overtone are running just fine, some info on how to get the best of them will likely come handy for a newbie like myself!
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

I'd say, ask the user for a path where to save them presets, done. No ?
Which makes complete sense, but the interesting part about that is - on Linux, how best to do that? You can't necessarily just use an 'OS provided' file selector - because, you don't know what desktop / window manager / distro the user is running, so it might be (at best) GTK2 / GTK3 / Gnome or Qt, or even something they've created themselves and it would be a pity to have a plug-in potentially carry all the GTK2, GTK3, Qt etc dependencies just to provide that one function.
Most (commercial) linux plug-ins will use an X11 based file bowser e.g. via a toolkit like JUCE to provide the best / simplest compatibility - but X11 doesn't provide any 'widgets' itself, so it means writing your own file selector 'from the ground up' (which we already do e.g. for the license selector, but would require significantly more functionality for preset management).
It would be nice to be cross-platform - but e.g. on Mac OS, its essentially mandatory to use the OS file selector, not least because it provides the user with a consistent interface, but also because it best handles permission issues etc in a consistent manner (your user may not have permission to save presets to their chosen location for example, which requires the OS to present a dialogue to negotiate that).
Also, depending upon whether the host application is sandboxed (typicaly if it has been installed from the Mac OS App store) the path you select may not actually be where you think it is (your 'home' folder may map to some user writable location within the host 'App' bundle - for example, depending upon what sandbox permissions the host application may have)
So there are issues which are complicated by the fact that a plug-in is often providing 'application like' functionality, from within another 'host' - over which it has very little control. It can of course be done, but it needs to work similarly in any host on any supported OS. Which brings us back to, the general direction in which this is going is that the host is expected to provide the preset management (as in VST3, Audio Unit etc).