SONAR becomes freeware

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Luc
Established Member

SONAR becomes freeware

Post by Luc »

World-leading DAW SONAR, with the entire SONAR Platinum feature set, is relaunching as Cakewalk by BandLab...
http://www.vstplanet.com/News/2018/sona ... andlab.htm

https://cakewalk.bandlab.com

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

The old SONAR is reported to run on Linux/Wine with varying degrees of success. I haven't tested this new incarnation yet.
tux99
Established Member

Re: SONAR becomes freeware

Post by tux99 »

What's the catch?
Built-in spyware?
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

One could always disconnect the lan cable :)

Though I think I've heard of fx plugins in the commercial world that won't run without net access.
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

Jack Winter wrote:One could always disconnect the lan cable :)
Or block via /etc/hosts

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

protozone
Established Member

Wow. word.

Post by protozone »

The "catch" is that it's a social networking system tethered to specific DAW and upload/download/collab software.
I don't use the software yet, but I joined, and the site seems pretty good thus far.

It's kinda like SoundClick/SoundCloud/HearThis.at and bandcamp/facebook/taxi combined.
But you need to buy their apps or their other stuff for full effect.

Nevertheless, for collaborations, it seems potentially powerful.

I quickly uploaded a WAV drumloop, asked for electro-industrial/metal collaborators, and got a response within the first 45 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Granted, I don't know if the drummer is any good yet, but it doesn't yet matter. For all I know, he could be Ringo Starr branching out into new directions. I told him he's in. :lo: And he is.

I'm listed there as Protozone, just like elsewhere.
Seriously, if anybody wants to join us, hop aboard.
But a forewarning is that the site is slightly difficult to use unless just listening.

I have to install a 64-bit operating system again before I can use the DAW software (which is likely pretty good!).
It might be worth installing 64-bit Linux just to have access to the site even though 100% of my entire DAW is 32-bit.
protozone
Established Member

Re: Wow. word.

Post by protozone »

protozone wrote:The "catch" is that it's a social networking system tethered to specific DAW and upload/download/collab software.
I don't use the software yet, but I joined, and the site seems pretty good thus far.

It's kinda like SoundClick/SoundCloud/HearThis.at and bandcamp/facebook/taxi combined.
But you need to buy their apps or their other stuff for full effect.

Nevertheless, for collaborations, it seems potentially powerful.

I quickly uploaded a WAV drumloop, asked for electro-industrial/metal collaborators, and got a response within the first 45 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Granted, I don't know if the drummer is any good yet, but it doesn't yet matter. For all I know, he could be Ringo Starr branching out into new directions. I told him he's in. :lol: And he is.

I'm listed there as Protozone, just like elsewhere.
Seriously, if anybody wants to join us, hop aboard.
But a forewarning is that the site is slightly difficult to use unless just listening.

I have to install a 64-bit operating system again before I can use the DAW software (which is likely pretty good!).
It might be worth installing 64-bit Linux just to have access to the site even though 100% of my entire DAW is 32-bit.