Pricing alert re: OvertoneDSP

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ufug
Established Member

Pricing alert re: OvertoneDSP

Post by ufug »

For folks who are not on Mike's email list: Prices for these plugins are going up Feb 1. (Sounds reasonable to me, I think he's been doing himself a disservice selling them at far below their real value.)

The Pultec and Fairchild emulators especially are quite nice sounding and they are the only Linux-native ones of their kind that I am aware of.

I'm not affiliated in any way with the company.

overtonedsp.co.uk
listenable at c6a7.org
finotti
Established Member

Re: Pricing alert re: OvertoneDSP

Post by finotti »

Thanks for the heads up.

I, myself, have already bought them, and can recommend them. But I am not sure I agree with
I think he's been doing himself a disservice selling them at far below their real value.
Can one say that of Ardour, Calf Plugins, or Linux itself (among many, many others)?

Now, of course, I really understand that the developer might need to raise prices. But I truly wish they could profit (and well!) by selling a lot, rather than from higher prices. (Although I am sure this is what they've been trying so far... I wish they were more successful...) The prices of plugins in general are way too high for non-professionals, like myself. OvertoneDSP did provide a great plugin set that could compete with other ones at a much lower price, but I suppose it was not known enough to truly compete. We, in Linux, are the exception, as our lack of options (and the high quality of their products) make them well known to us.

But, again, I cannot afford many plugins that I'd like to have, and I am not sure I would be able to afford theirs after the price hike. (I don't know how much, though. If it is not too much, sure. But if it gets close to other commercial ones, maybe not...)

In any event, my opinion hardly matters, and I wish the best of luck to OvertoneDSP! They make good products and deserve financial benefits from them.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Sure, I understand. I think we agree.

I was just suggesting that sometimes having the cheapest price is equated by customers as having the lowest quality. Especially when they were as drastically low as Overtone's.

I also wish selling a high quantity at a low price worked, but apparently it hasn't. I just wish them continued success and I really don't want to lose my Pultec ever!
listenable at c6a7.org
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

ufug wrote: I was just suggesting that sometimes having the cheapest price is equated by customers as having the lowest quality. Especially when they were as drastically low as Overtone's.
That's too true, and a very good point... I've heard way too many times that if Linux were any good it would not be free.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I use the pulltecs consistently for the acoustic guitar. I also use regularly the Fairchild, the reverb (which amongst other reverbs I like a lot), and the two DYN compressors for various things. I also started to use the 4000EQ.

Cheers.