Marketplace: for stuff that doesn't fit? Oh really?

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

Marketplace: for stuff that doesn't fit? Oh really?

Post by glowrak guy »

Cakewalk goes back to the Atari/DOS days of musicians starting to use computers.
One of the longest running software houses in the m-a-r-k-e-t-p-l-a-c-e,
ever. If one would have read the article I posted, it would be clear I'm not
trying to drum up sales for them, as the company announced it closed their doors.
The very topic of the link I posted, with a little joke thrown in
for the curious.

This should be a topic of interest to many here, as linux devs and users
attempt to fit somewhere in the m-a-r-k-e-t-p-l-a-c-e amid juggernauts
like apple, microsoft, and yamaha.

The forum heading states "Stuff That Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else"
And yet we can't bring up for discussion major events in the real m-a-r-k-e-t-p-l-a-c-e,
simply because they don't start with l and end with x, and a couple moderator guys have a bad hair day...
Ever wonder why the linux musicians community stays so small, and is often mocked if not villified?
Well there it is in a nutshell.
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Marketplace: for stuff that doesn't fit? Oh really?

Post by sysrqer »

It has no relevance whatsoever. This is linuxmusicians not paidshillsforwindows.
glowrak guy wrote: Ever wonder why the linux musicians community stays so small, and is often mocked if not villified?
No, not really. I certainly don’t think it’s because people can’t shill dead Windows products on a linux-specific forum.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

This is the age of cross-platform developement, Bitwig, Reaper, and Mixbus
all are linux/Mac/Win apps. And the vast improvements to wine-staging
make a plethora of great apps and plugins available to linux musicians.

Had the complainers taken a few seconds to read the link,
they''d have known it wasn't pimping an ad from a schill, but a requiem
for a company that was crucial to establishing computer based audio production.

That an industry giant like Cakewalk fell on hard times, or have been mismanaged, or just beaten by the competition,
should be a wake-up call, as their resistance to creating linux and Mac versions certainly did them
no favors.

They faced the challenges we all face in our careers, and for now at least, the doors
are closed. Discussions of this mess are prevalent in the big
music forums. There's no money in linux musicians being isolated in a tiny niche,
and dare I say, precious little fun. Take care in what you ask for,
lest you get it.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

sysrqer wrote:It has no relevance whatsoever. This is linuxmusicians not paidshillsforwindows.
glowrak guy wrote: Ever wonder why the linux musicians community stays so small, and is often mocked if not villified?
No, not really. I certainly don’t think it’s because people can’t shill dead Windows products on a linux-specific forum.
Maybe you should just rename the m-a-r-k-e-t-p-l-a-c-e to "Music & FOSS Advocacy".

...oh, wait!
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

@glowrak guy

First, to make that clear, I haven't reported your post, but, I think you are on the wrong track.

Your post comes without any information, just a link. That's bad. If you've something to tell, do it, but ain't force us to follow a link you gave just for what?? That's the way usually Spam comes along, and, in the forum were I'm the admin, I would have delete the post and the user, without further reading.

So before you go one to spread your hate against the FOSS community, claim down, rethink yourself, and come on, just be a part of it.

I'm happy we've the Marketplace here now, it's a good place to share information about commercial software from any OS, and your post in question wouldn't be closed, when you've given a bit more information about what it is meant.

So, even the Marketplace is a forum, not a "share your links and run away" site.
On the road again.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

I haven't reported the post either, actually I had read most of the linked page (no time to finish it, unfortunately). SONAR is the first DAW I used in my life, SONAR 4 to be accurate. It was pretty cool, it had a notation editor too. I am not exactly sad it is fading out, as I stopped liking it years ago, but I brings up feelings of nostalgia to me.
tramp wrote: Your post comes without any information, just a link. That's bad. If you've something to tell, do it, but ain't force us to follow a link you gave just for what?? That's the way usually Spam comes along, and, in the forum were I'm the admin, I would have delete the post and the user, without further reading.
I think that's the point, glowarak guy. If you look at your post again it does look exactly like what a spam bot would deliver, not even an human being. It is just a link and a slogan. In most websites and forums employing automatic anti-spam bots that post would have been auto-deleted, without not even passing through a moderator. Nobody here is offended by you posting a link related to a commercial product (I think, I hope...) but mostly by the fact that it is done in a "spammy" way, even though your original intent was completely different.

Other users maybe think that it is also unrelated to us as it is a commercial product for Windows, so maybe not really related to the contents of the website. Still, as you say, maybe it could run somewhat on Wine... or be of some use with VirtualBox... I think it could still have some relevance.

So, I think the problem was just the way you opened up the discussion: it wasn't clear at all what the actual topic was and it looked suspiciously spam, despite its intent.

My 2 cents, hope they are of some use.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

42low wrote:Common guy's. Stop being agitated and stop arguing. It's almost Christmas. Let's start early with the Christmas feeling. Piece. :mrgreen:
Trying to came up with constructive points to try to figure out how to properly communicate on a forum is not properly arguing. We are not randomly being confrontational, at least not me. Nor we are trying to demonstrate why glowark guy is bad, because he is not. I think nobody has anything against glowark guy. Or at least, not me.

I think that glowark guy had a point in his first post but that came across in the wrong way due to how he presented it, that's it. We are trying to be helpful here, in proper Christmas mood.

Regards.
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

CrocoDuck wrote: We are trying to be helpful here, in proper Christmas mood.
From falkTX to the OP:
Do you get any compensation for sharing this stuff?
From tramp to the OP:
...spread your hate against the FOSS community...
From sysrqer to the OP:
This is linuxmusicians not paidshillsforwindows.
Yep, sounds like the proper Christmas mood at LM.

Best,

dp
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

davephillips wrote:From tramp to the OP:

...spread your hate against the FOSS community...
Thanks for clipping my words out of context, really helpful. :lol:
On the road again.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

'kinnell :?
{thinks: Have I accidentally got on to gearslutz?}
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I go by the numbers. glowrak guy has 1039 posts here, since 2014. One would consider that this gives some "familiarity". That even though the original post was very brief, that one would have the proper attention span to consider that this person who is here since 2014 and has written 1039 posts could possibly mean something. Something else than being a "shill".

At least considering the option isn't it.

Instead of abruptly considering him a stranger. Perhaps even hyperventilating in doing so.

This behaviour is a bit described in the further comments by glowrak guy. Tending to your own backyard with this behaviour can be OK, you might end up with a nicely detailed backyard, but it will prevent any expansion, any integration with the forces around.
bhilmers
Established Member

Post by bhilmers »

Did this site get renamed to FOSSmusicians.com? As someone who primarily uses non-FOSS audio tools on Linux I still consider myself a Linux Musician. A few of the tools I use have builds for multiple platforms, but only some of those are FOSS (like Ardour).

The Marketplace is literally labeled "Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!" My first experience with computers and music was Cakewalk v3 back in the early 90s. I currently have the CD and it's installed on a Win98 laptop -- I still use it! I am one of the users who was interested in the Cakewalk post.

Just my 2¢.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

jonetsu wrote:I go by the numbers. glowrak guy has 1039 posts here, since 2014. One would consider that this gives some "familiarity". That even though the original post was very brief, that one would have the proper attention span to consider that this person who is here since 2014 and has written 1039 posts could possibly mean something. Something else than being a "shill".

At least considering the option isn't it.

Instead of abruptly considering him a stranger. Perhaps even hyperventilating in doing so.

This behaviour is a bit described in the further comments by glowrak guy. Tending to your own backyard with this behaviour can be OK, you might end up with a nicely detailed backyard, but it will prevent any expansion, any integration with the forces around.
Having written many posts does not prevent incomprehension, which I think is what happened. Things like this happen all the time, to anybody.

Nobody is bad or stupid if they write an ambiguous post, whose intent can be misinterpreted.
Nobody is bad or stupid if they glimpse over and make a quick, maybe bad decision.

I think we can just all learn how to introduce topics properly from this and move on.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

CrocoDuck wrote: Having written many posts does not prevent incomprehension, which I think is what happened. Things like this happen all the time, to anybody.
Yes. Incomprehension is an internal state that can be managed by, for instance, taking a step back and looking at the numbers. Member since 2014, a thousand posts. And then ask. What do you mean by that post ? Instead of getting the kalachnikov immediately :)

Cheers.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

jonetsu wrote:
CrocoDuck wrote: Having written many posts does not prevent incomprehension, which I think is what happened. Things like this happen all the time, to anybody.
Yes. Incomprehension is an internal state that can be managed by, for instance, taking a step back and looking at the numbers. Member since 2014, a thousand posts. And then ask. What do you mean by that post ? Instead of getting the kalachnikov immediately :)

Cheers.
True, but not completely. Having many post since 2014 doesn't necessarily exclude misbehavior in the present (which isn't what happened, just talking in principles).

Also, incomprehension goes both ways: you can either not understand your interlocutor, or the interlocutor is not clear enough or (as most often is) both.

But I agree with your main point, which is: look at things deeper, ask. To which I add, "try to be as clear as possible in the first place".