Sonarworks headphone & speaker calibration software.

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

buscon
Established Member

Re: Sonarworks headphone & speaker calibration software.

Post by buscon »

Thanks for your reply and explanation.

I will definitively contact them and try to do my part, letting them know there are more linux users interested in their software.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

funkmuscle wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:52 am
Kott wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:00 am
funkmuscle wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:06 pm They said they would love an experienced Linux dev to help continue this..
they did? where? :)
Corresponding between emails. I was kind of mad that they were updating for the other two platforms but not for us so I messaged tech support because I paid some good money for the thing and that's what they told me. They said we would love to continue the project but right now we do not have any experience developers.

I asked what they were going to do about it and they said we are hoping that down the road we can get an experienced developer. If you are interested just contact them. Simply ask why they've stopped developing for Linux and they will get into more details. That's basically all I asked and that was the answer I got.
I'm really pissed because of that because just 3 months before buying I asked for long-term Linux support g.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

If you need speaker correction there's a very good free option around which sounds as good as sonarworks and you only need one single measurement with REW. :wink:

I stopped correcting my phone cause I loose 10 dB headroom... (DT 880)
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

lilith wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:07 pm If you need speaker correction there's a very good free option around which sounds as good as sonarworks and you only need one single measurement with REW. :wink:

I stopped correcting my phone cause I loose 10 dB headroom... (DT 880)
the headphones thing that was posted hon this site? If yeah, I want to try even though I rarely use Sonarworks as I'm now use to my bedroom and what my speakers sound and should sound like.
I've been training my ears by playing songs which I love the mix on through these speakers so when I mix, I know what the bass and bottom end should sound like, mids, etc.

I guess it's like using a reference track. I just don't know the right way to use the references.
buscon
Established Member

Post by buscon »

lilith wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:07 pm If you need speaker correction there's a very good free option around which sounds as good as sonarworks and you only need one single measurement with REW. :wink:
can you tell where where this option is explained? here on the forum?
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

buscon wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:14 am
can you tell where where this option is explained? here on the forum?
it´s here in this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru ... 894/page-2
melg
Established Member

Post by melg »

Hi
Thanks for your offer to help people use sonarworks
I installed the Reference4vstplugin.so to /usr/lib/vst/
Ardour could not see the plugin.
One by one, I chmod 777 it, chown to my user name and chgrp to audio but it still doesn't appear in Ardour. :(
Would you be able to help me get it going?
Many thanks
chrisanthropic
Established Member

Post by chrisanthropic »

For anyone looking for a linux-native alternative for headphones, check out the AutoEq project - https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq

It lists the frequency response calibration for a ton of headphones with settings for configuring your EQ (I use LSP-eq but any works)

Basically you:
  • use the Github search bar to search the AutoEq repo for your headphones
  • load a desktop app EQ like EasyEffects/PulseEffects or load an EQ on the Master track of your DAW, etc
  • configure the EQ with the settings recommended by AutoEq
  • I like to save the config so I can easily load it whenever I need it
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

chrisanthropic wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:37 pm ...load an EQ on the Master track of your DAW, etc...
I'd suggest to use the monitor bus instead of the master track. That way, you can leave it on during export. Tried that with both Reaper and Ardour, both work fine.
more about me on my blog
novalix
Established Member

Post by novalix »

wjl wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:44 pm I'd suggest to use the monitor bus instead of the master track.
This, and additionally bear in mind that some of these eq moves might be quite extreme (e.g. boosts with steep curves) which can cause phasing issues. There are also impulse response wav files available, which one can load with a convolver plugin (e.g. the x42 one). That would be a better choice.

Also, no pair of headphones is exactly like a second one of the same model.
And even more relevant no head, and pair of ears is/are the same. It is always an approximization to the real scenario.