Adjust Volume of different instruments

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, deva

xfapeh
Established Member

Adjust Volume of different instruments

Post by xfapeh »

Hi all,

first of all thanks for this great piece of musical software!

I just created my first own sample kit with DGEdit and I ran across an issue:

I want to combine samples/instruments of different kits, which are recorded not at the same volume
(e.g. combine a "loud" Tama Kick with a "quiet" Pearl Snare). The channel setup is identical (e.g. overhead microphones are always channel 5+6).
The wav samples consist of 8 velocity layers (but as being said the maximum loudness is not the same). I can provide the raw files if this helps.

Question:
Can I adjust the level of the snare relative to the Kick?

Of course I can use bleeding control to adjust the snare mic. But this doesnt work if I want to combine two snare drums with different recording volume.

Sorry if this is a silly question, perhaps it is trivial and I need just a hint...

Thanks folks
deva
Established Member

Re: Adjust Volume of different instruments

Post by deva »

There is no "easy" way of doing this using DrumGizmo features, so I'm afraid that the easiest approach for you would be to increase the snare volumes directly in the wav files on-disk.
Maybe http://sox.sourceforge.net can be used for this to be at least slightly automated?
xfapeh
Established Member

Re: Adjust Volume of different instruments

Post by xfapeh »

Ok thanks for the quick reply.

That is not too much effort for me, as I am already preparing and rearranging and resampling the input wav files for DGEdit within a bash script using ecasound. So it is only one more line for me.

question to the experts: Which one would you prefer in terms of quality: ecasound or sox?

In my case the input files are already prepared as mutlichannel wav files in seperated hit velocities (samples from BFD), but in order to read it with DGEdit I have to seperate the files to 1-file-per-channel an then recombine all the different hits from one channel/mic into one file.