[user error] LV2 and clicky-kit: resizing issue

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, deva

JamesPeters
Established Member

[user error] LV2 and clicky-kit: resizing issue

Post by JamesPeters »

(edit)This was my mistake. The solution to this is in post 7. The color map clicky-kit image needs to be transparent except for the colored shapes.(/edit)

-------

First I want to mention that DrumGizmo LV2 works well in Reaper for Linux, as well as the VST version. (I'm using DrumGizmo 0.9.19 with this fix added to it for the directed choke issue.) There are 2 minor exceptions:

1) the VST version seems to load slightly faster sometimes than the LV2 version (this is only noticeable when loading a project which already has DrumGizmo in it with a large kit), and

2) if the drumkit has a clicky-kit image, it will resize to be too small (see attached image).

Every time the LV2 is closed and reopened, if it has a clicky-kit image, it results in that scrunched-up mess.
Attachments
lv2.jpg
lv2.jpg (41.42 KiB) Viewed 8171 times
Last edited by JamesPeters on Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
deva
Established Member

Re: LV2 and clicky-kit: resizing issue

Post by deva »

Does this only happen in Linux Reaper with LV2? I don't remember ever seeing something like this in Ardour...
JamesPeters
Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

I hadn't tried this in Ardour. I just tried it now. It seems this only happens in Reaper for Linux, so I guess I should report it to Cockos. If you have any hints I could provide to them for fixing the bug, I'm sure it would be appreciated if I pass them along in the report. I haven't noticed this with any other plugin in Reaper, VST or LV2. And this only happens when that extra tab appears for the drumkit (due to having the clicky-kit image as part of the kit).
deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

I just tried it in the latest Reaper (6.27) loading a drumkit with a clickmap and it appears as it should - no resizing issue. Maybe the issue is not related to the click-map?
JamesPeters
Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

I just tried the one in the Manjaro repo in case my own build was causing it. It still has that bug.

Did you try: loading the kit, closing the window, then opening the window again? Initially upon loading the kit, it looks fine. It's only when you open the window after DrumGizmo has the kit loaded, when this happens.
deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

I just tried that as well and that also looks and behaves correctly.
Which kit are you using? And could it be something else than the clicky-kit image that triggers the issue?
JamesPeters
Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

It's my kit, revised with the clicky-kit functionality.

I just found the problem...

I'd made both clicky-kit images with a background (a grey-white gradient) behind the drums. When I made a new version of the color map image, with only the drums themselves (and with transparency around all the kit pieces), the problem went away.

So I suppose the color map was always intended to have transparent content except where the drum kit pieces (colored shapes) are. I didn't realize this. Now I do. :) When I saw the color map image example on the DrumGizmo site (changelog for 0.9.17) I saw a "white background" when viewing the PNG, and didn't realize that was just the default displayed color in my browser for the transparent background. There was also no description for the color map image, saying it should be transparent other than the colored shapes.