DGEdit export issues

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, deva

uns4ph3
Established Member

DGEdit export issues

Post by uns4ph3 »

Well, I paid a guy on Fiverr to get me some samples to make a DG kit with, and some odd things happened after exporting.
- All typos that had been fixed were in the final folder names. Nothing like smare drag to really sound professional!
- There was no drumkit to load into DG, only the drumkit.xml midimap.

Super stoked to post the jazz kit Ben recorded, but yeah - currently a couple bugs in the way.
Search for Fusterclucker on your favorite streaming platforms to hear my awful music, and go visit my blog for my inane rants.
deva
Established Member

Re: DGEdit export issues

Post by deva »

I'm afraid I do not quite understand what it is you did?
So you imported the files into a DGEdit session and the filenames had type-o's in them?
And then you fixed them in the instrument names but they were exported with the filenames containing errors anyway?
uns4ph3
Established Member

Post by uns4ph3 »

Correct. That and there was no drumkit file to load on export (separate issue)
Search for Fusterclucker on your favorite streaming platforms to hear my awful music, and go visit my blog for my inane rants.
deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

Which version of the editor did you use?
uns4ph3
Established Member

Post by uns4ph3 »

0.10.0-2 from the official Manjaro repos.
deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

I cannot reproduce this. Could you supply more detailed description of the steps you have taken? Maybe even a video? That would be most helpful.
uns4ph3
Established Member

Post by uns4ph3 »

Here is the session file, including the raw stems
Here's the drumkit output
Here is a video of me clicking "export" and verifying that nothing appears.. EDIT: I apologize about the flickering in the video, I am a far cry from mastering OBS.

Did I miss a key step here? I wanna make some more drum kits happen for all of us here working with Linux audio - since I can't code, I feel like this is one area where I can contribute.
deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

Thank you very much for the files, description and video - I can reproduce the issue now.

The easiest short-term fix for you is probably to just open up the dgedit session file in a text editor and alter the line 173, from

Code: Select all

<prefix>Smare Drag</prefix>
to

Code: Select all

<prefix>Snare Drag</prefix>
I will try to fix it in the code, but it will probably be quite a while before a new release is available with the fix...

Anyway; thanks for reporting :-)
uns4ph3
Established Member

Post by uns4ph3 »

I'll fix that tonight with the export, thanks Deva. The second issue that isn't shown is that the xml file that's exported is a midimap but won't load the drums directly. What steps do I need to take to get the other xml file from the export?
deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

uns4ph3 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:13 pm I'll fix that tonight with the export, thanks Deva. The second issue that isn't shown is that the xml file that's exported is a midimap but won't load the drums directly. What steps do I need to take to get the other xml file from the export?
Currently the editor only creates the drumkit file, so you need to make the midimap yourself, which is really easy.
See here for an example of how to make it:
https://drumgizmo.org/wiki/doku.php?id= ... xml_format

It is advised to try and stick as closely as possible to the General Midi mappings as possible in order to make the kit compatible with midifiles from other projects.
See here for example: https://qsrdrums.com/webhelp-responsive ... m_kit.html