Paying drummers on Fiverr

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, deva

uns4ph3
Established Member

Paying drummers on Fiverr

Post by uns4ph3 »

So I'm gonna community source some suggestions for types of drums that we're missing on DrumGizmo. I'm thinking I may do this 1x a month, just to get us a serious bank of 48khz quality drum kits that we can use.

I'm going to start with a metal kit, because as I've used both of the metal kits, I'm noticing (A) they're in 44.1 which is cool if you work with that, but I definitely can hear the oversampling happening on that, and possibly because of A, (B) the kits are kinda screwy volume wise. I found the aasimonster exceptionally difficult to mix compared to the CroecelKit.

To the devs: Obviously, I need to have people record each drum at various volumes - thinking 6 volumes should do the trick per drum and cymbal? What other things should I ask for when I pay for it?

To the community: what other kits would people want to see? I'm on a budget, so I can't make any promises
Search for Fusterclucker on your favorite streaming platforms to hear my awful music, and go visit my blog for my inane rants.
deva
Established Member

Re: Paying drummers on Fiverr

Post by deva »

It sounds like a really interesting project :-)
You can see an introduction on how to record the drums and then use DGEdit to cut them into samples in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lQOik5TEaw

I have a new 48kHz metal kit in the works btw. I'm not completely satisfied with the cymbals yet, so I haven't released it yet. You can read more about it in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=22609
uns4ph3
Established Member

Re: Paying drummers on Fiverr

Post by uns4ph3 »

I'm listening to the sonoj presentation right now. Basically, I'd need to get the drummer to play 16 hits on the main drums starting at very quiet and going to very loud, and then 6 or so volumes for each cymbal? And then make sure I get all the stems for the entire drum kit?

I'm thinking that in order, my priority of kits for this little money sink will be:
- A jazz kit that's oriented towards jazz, played with both sticks and brushes that uses flams and rolls.
- A funk/rock kit, that incorporates flams and rolls
- A world drums kit including djembes, cajons, and other hand drums
- A tabla kit - this earns its own kit because when i went and made a tabla kit in Hydrogen that just used samples I found on FreeSound, it was almost 16 instruments unto itself.

What kinds of kits would people want to see recorded in 48khz that aren't in that list?

My budget is around 50$ a month, and I'm happy to do the hosting if that's an issue (I need to make a website for my musical project anyway, and not just have it floating around on the streaming services).

Only mildly related to the topic at hand ... Should I do feature requests here or on your tracker? It would be great to have different types of hits go onto different MIDI channels of the same note (so we would be able to use 16 different types of hits on each note, therefor making it possible to have a standard note mapping across kits). Think having rimshots and bells on channel 2, rim clinks and open hihats on 3, slurs and rolls on channel 4, flams on channel 5.
Search for Fusterclucker on your favorite streaming platforms to hear my awful music, and go visit my blog for my inane rants.