Drumkit Licensing

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, deva

tavasti
Established Member

Drumkit Licensing

Post by tavasti »

Hi!

I like DrumGizmo, but drum kit licensing is problematic: requirement for attribution is impossible when releasing music for example in spotify.
I release my music thru Routenote, and there is absolutely no possibility to add some additional attribution for drum samples. It is possible to add composer or featuring artist, performer, orchestra, but I don't like putting DrumGizmo DRS Kit as featuring artist.

Therefore, I need to use something else for my drums :-(

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

TAERSH
Established Member

Re: Drumkit Licensing

Post by TAERSH »

Is there a need for the used drum samples to add credits/attribution?
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

TAERSH wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:15 pm Is there a need for the used drum samples to add credits/attribution?
Those drum kits are with https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Yes, then it seems you have to use something else for your drums as long as you can't give appropriate credit.
Not good! I don't like those creative commons licenses very much.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Seems like the attribution requirement is if you make a derivative drum kit, rather than making music with the drum kit.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Michael Willis wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:46 pm Seems like the attribution requirement is if you make a derivative drum kit, rather than making music with the drum kit.
That would make sense, but in drum kit readme it does not say anything about such limitation.

deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

tavasti wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:45 pm drum kit licensing is problematic: requirement for attribution is impossible when releasing music for example in spotify.
I'm afraid that what you describe is the correct interpretation of the license. Could you not simply have a website referenced that could hold the licence information? I do not think they need to be stated directly in the title of songs.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

Code: Select all

I do not think they need to be stated directly in the title of songs
How the "BY" in CC-By must be given needs to be specified by the author of the samples.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

deva wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:45 pm
tavasti wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:45 pm drum kit licensing is problematic: requirement for attribution is impossible when releasing music for example in spotify.
I'm afraid that what you describe is the correct interpretation of the license. Could you not simply have a website referenced that could hold the licence information? I do not think they need to be stated directly in the title of songs.
No, there no option for any extra metadata, and if there would be, I don't see how it would be visible in spotify.
routenote_upload.jpg
routenote_upload.jpg (85.13 KiB) Viewed 9142 times
And my main point is not really 'how I could' but get that fixed for everybody. I have seen few other people also saying same, have to use something else because of license restrictions. I would like to hear is that really intentional, or is it so that nobody haven't thought what that means.

deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

nilshi wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:23 pm How the "BY" in CC-By must be given needs to be specified by the author of the samples.
I just made it explicit that "When using the samples in a composition, attributions must be made in the album credits." for all the kits that I am the author of.

@tavasti that means that you should be able to post your songs on spotify without showing the attribution there, but only add it in places where musicians and such are otherwise listed.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

@tavasti
You could use the .sf2 sound file I made from the huge Sonor 3007 drum kit.
I recorded all those samples from my drum kit and it's license is the "What the Fuck License", as I don't care about if anyone is using it in his/her songs or creating any other work based on that samples etc.pp.
JamesPeters
Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

My DrumGizmo kit (linked in my signature) is using that same license but has no additional stipulation about attribution. Use it how you wish. The only thing I ask: if you want to donate any money for the kit, donate it to the person who recorded the samples of his drum kit (his website donation link is included in the readme document).
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

deva wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:49 pm I just made it explicit that "When using the samples in a composition, attributions must be made in the album credits." for all the kits that I am the author of.

@tavasti that means that you should be able to post your songs on spotify without showing the attribution there, but only add it in places where musicians and such are otherwise listed.
When loading to spotify (and same to to dozen other services, musicians are listen like 'featuring/with' etc, and that is visible in spotify.

If there is some mitigations to license terms, that should be present in readme file where license is stated.

This thing is not about me, it is for all. I have seen many times comments 'I cannot use drumgizmo because of the license'. I wanted to bring this to discussion, and if this is how things are intented, fine. If this is not what is wanted, then some changes might be needed.

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

TAERSH wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:14 pm @tavasti
You could use the .sf2 sound file I made from the huge Sonor 3007 drum kit.
I recorded all those samples from my drum kit and it's license is the "What the Fuck License", as I don't care about if anyone is using it in his/her songs or creating any other work based on that samples etc.pp.
Thanks, but I have purchased some commercial windows drum plugins from Ugritone, so that I can release my music where ever I want.

With sf2 I would assume it is impossible to get round robin samples. Does it have multiple velocity layers?
Last edited by tavasti on Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

JamesPeters wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:53 am My DrumGizmo kit (linked in my signature) is using that same license but has no additional stipulation about attribution. Use it how you wish. The only thing I ask: if you want to donate any money for the kit, donate it to the person who recorded the samples of his drum kit (his website donation link is included in the readme document).
It is also licensed with https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/ which requires attribution, so it has this very same problem.