Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, deva

Largos
Established Member

Re: Drumkit Licensing

Post by Largos »

https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/L ... nd_context
Attribution and marking
Attribution reasonable to means, medium, and context

In 4.0, the manner of attribution is explicitly allowed to be reasonable to the means, medium, and context of how one shares a work.

In the 1.0, 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0 licenses, attribution may be reasonable to the medium or means, and applied to all elements other than certain notices where the requirement is firm. In 4.0, this explicit permission applies to the medium, means, and context of use. We believe this to be a clarification rather than a change: attribution reasonable to the means, medium, and context of use should be permissible for works under any CC license. Additionally, the pre-4.0 licenses specified that credit in adaptations and collections should be at least as prominent as credits for other authors; 4.0 is not specific in this regard.
I would think this is meant to give flexibility for situations for this. Else, how far do you take this? You require a DJ to read a credit when a song is played on the radio?

It seems a bit of an odd license to use for samples. I would have thought what people want from a license is to stop people taking their gratis samples and selling them on as is rather than requiring written credits from musicians
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Largos wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:06 pm It seems a bit of an odd license to use for samples. I would have thought what people want from a license is to stop people taking their gratis samples and selling them on as is
That would definitely be bad
Largos wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:06 pm rather than requiring written credits from musicians
I don't know: creating good samples is a ton of work, if someone gives that away for free I think it's totally reasonable to ask recipients to give them a mention somewhere in the credits.

I think it would be good if people using 'attribution' licenses would specify exactly how/when they want to be attributed.
JamesPeters
Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

tavasti wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:41 am
JamesPeters wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:53 am My DrumGizmo kit (linked in my signature) is using that same license but has no additional stipulation about attribution. Use it how you wish. The only thing I ask: if you want to donate any money for the kit, donate it to the person who recorded the samples of his drum kit (his website donation link is included in the readme document).
It is also licensed with https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/ which requires attribution, so it has this very same problem.
That isn't what was intended by the license. Using the drumkit for creative purposes, even commercial, requires no attribution. That is different from distributing the drumkit itself (modified or not).

Anyway I just changed the license. WTFPL Version 2. I don't care and neither does Vincent (who recorded the samples). I was trying to at least have him credited if people redistributed the drumkit. But if this makes people question whether they can use it creatively, it's not worth the hassle explaining this again.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

raboof wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:29 pm I think it would be good if people using 'attribution' licenses would specify exactly how/when they want to be attributed.
As I already wrote in this thread, it is not only "good" but required by the CC-License. The license says the author needs to say what "attribution" means.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

@tavasti
Does it have multiple velocity layers?
No, it doesn't.

I made this from the samples used to create the Hydrogen drum kit first. Hydrogen can't have multiple layers on a single key of the keyboard.
At least I didn't know how at times, when I created the Hydrogen drum kit.
Nowadays I'm using Hydrogen only to have a MIDI metronome controlled by the sequencer program.
I'm very happy with the use of the .sf2 sound file by now. It was the first one ever I created.
Perhaps I will record and build everything from scratch one day in the future.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

JamesPeters wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:40 pm Anyway I just changed the license. WTFPL Version 2. I don't care and neither does Vincent (who recorded the samples). I was trying to at least have him credited if people redistributed the drumkit. But if this makes people question whether they can use it creatively, it's not worth the hassle explaining this again.
Now took a look of that license, indeed, this move really enables use of this drumkit. Thanks for your change, I would sure have accepted
I have to test it!

Another drumkit that is compatible with releasing in spotify etc is MuldjordKit, which says:
Attribution requirement as per January 2021: When used in compositions, attribution must be made in the album credits (or similar album liner notes) as “Drum samples provided by DrumGizmo.org”. In cases where album credits (or similar album liner notes) aren't available it can be left out completely.
So now we have two drumkits which are available for my music. Thanks, I will also inform other people who have complained same problem!

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

tavasti wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:58 pm Another drumkit that is compatible with releasing in spotify etc is MuldjordKit, which says:
Attribution requirement as per January 2021: When used in compositions, attribution must be made in the album credits (or similar album liner notes) as “Drum samples provided by DrumGizmo.org”. In cases where album credits (or similar album liner notes) aren't available it can be left out completely.
So now we have two drumkits which are available for my music. Thanks, I will also inform other people who have complained same problem!
Update to situation: Now on DrumGizmo website all drumkits seem to have same clause, meaning they can be used also for music released to spotify and other streaming services where is no possibility to give attribution to drum samples. Great work!

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

tavasti wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:32 pm Update to situation: Now on DrumGizmo website all drumkits seem to have same clause, meaning they can be used also for music released to spotify and other streaming services where is no possibility to give attribution to drum samples. Great work!
Great that you found this useful - enjoy :-)