How to combine two snare sounds dynamically?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, deva

DrumTimo
Established Member

How to combine two snare sounds dynamically?

Post by DrumTimo »

Hi,

posted this originally in the wrong forum, but could not delete it any more. Sorry for the cross post!

How do I configure Drumgizmo to play "snareRest" samples when I hit the snare lightly and "snare" samples when hitting harder?

First time on this forum, drummer since 1982. Been making noises with Linux since the first releases of Planet CCRMA and now exploring AVLinux as a platform. I own an acoustic drum kit I can no longer play due to tinnitus and a Yamaha DTXpress II electronic kit. The Yamaha drum sounds are getting old but the MIDI interface of the kit is all right, so I thought I'd find a good drum sampler to play with it. After some googling I found Drumgizmo, and I am i total awe! For the first time in years I get to play with real acoustic drum sounds and near real touch and feel. What a great sampler Drumgizmo is!

While playing the DRSkit, Muldfjord3 and others I found my snare technique does not quite fit to the way Drumgizmo is working. Drumgizmo puts the SnareRest and Snare sounds on different pads of the kit, which feels very unnatural to me and playing ghost notes next to impossible. I tried to edit the snare.xml files to use the "SnareRest" samples when playing lihgtly and the "snare" samples with higher velocity or force. Did not work, only plays snare anyway. This has to be a FAQ, but I could not find a tutorial on how to do this. I would be really happy if someone could give me some advice on how to tweak the Drumgizmo kits to support playing ghost notes on the snare.

The DTXpress has a cymbal choke function, too. Could that be used with Drumgizmo in some way?

br. Timo
Last edited by DrumTimo on Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
lazyklimm
Established Member

Re: How to compbine two snare sounds dynamically?

Post by lazyklimm »

> Drumgizmo puts the SnareRest and Snare sounds on different pads of the kit, which feels very unnatural to me and playing ghost notes next to impossible.

If you are familiar with MIDI protocol, you can use https://x42-plugins.com/x42/x42-midifilter or https://x42-plugins.com/x42/x42-midimap plugins to map the input events from your kit to the ones you need to be send to DrumGizmo
DrumTimo
Established Member

Post by DrumTimo »

Thanks for the reply!
With the DTXpress II own sounds playing ghost notes is easy, just play lightly on the snare and that's it. With DrumGizmo the snare sound plays one hit with all velocities, provides typical "machine gun" effect when trying to play ghost notes. The idea I have is to replace the softest snare wavs with the SnareRest wavs to emulate playing ghost notes. This turned out to almost work, but it still does not quite sound or feel right.

My style of playing includes a lot of ghost notes and a lot of rimshots, which both are important to me. The rimshot seems to be lacking from all DrumGizmo kits I've found. This is a bigger problem, which I have not been able to solve at all. Any ideas would be welcome.

br. Timo
lazyklimm
Established Member

Post by lazyklimm »

Sounds like a bug in Drumgizmo
deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

DrumTimo wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:13 pm ...With DrumGizmo the snare sound plays one hit with all velocities, provides typical "machine gun" effect when trying to play ghost notes.
Hi Timo

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner - life happened...

Did you bypass all the humanization? Using the plugin with a midi drumkit doesn't make much sense, since you are adding the human aspects of it yourself you could say.

Also I think that the new powermap feature of the latest release, 0.9.19 might help make the mapping between your hits and the sampled velocites more natural. It least that was the intention of that feature.
You can read a bit more about it here: https://drumgizmo.org/wiki/doku.php?id= ... ap_feature