Non-bleeding versions of drumkits?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, deva

tavasti
Established Member

Non-bleeding versions of drumkits?

Post by tavasti »

Has anybody created version of drumkit definitions where is no bleeding? I find it bit stupid to use Harrison Tom Gate to remove bleeding of snare from kick, etc.

Specially DRS and Crocell kit are interesting for me.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Non-bleeding versions of drumkits?

Post by Michael Willis »

James Peters just announced a kit with the intentional decision to have no bleed.
JamesPeters
Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

I'd have liked the ability to have bleed in that kit, if it were available. (Even though I usually use a tiny bit, if any.) The samples were recorded without bleed, so that decided it. :)

Anyway, the current version of DrumGizmo has a "bleed" fader you can adjust. Are those kits not made with appropriate code in the XML files to obey that control? Also I noticed both those kits have a patch available (replacement XML files) which adds the bleed control. Did you update the kits on your hard drive with those patches? You'd need to overwrite the old files with the new ones of the same name. Then try the bleed control again (and you'll have to turn the control on with the little power button on the top left of that section).
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Michael Willis wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:47 pm James Peters just announced a kit with the intentional decision to have no bleed.
Point was not that. Point was, has anybody already done xml files for existing kits for not to have bleed.

JamesPeters
Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

Did you read my post? It seems that the kits you're asking about have been updated so that you can turn bleed off, or blend it to your tastes. If not, that's different.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

JamesPeters wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:23 pm Did you read my post? It seems that the kits you're asking about have been updated so that you can turn bleed off, or blend it to your tastes. If not, that's different.
That's exactly how I do it. You can use the bleed on/off and slide it all the way to the left and that gets rid of the bleeding that's why I couldn't understand this thread to begin with. I like the bleed so I leave a bit of it in there but you can eliminate it completely.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

funkmuscle wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:40 pm That's exactly how I do it. You can use the bleed on/off and slide it all the way to the left and that gets rid of the bleeding that's why I couldn't understand this thread to begin with. I like the bleed so I leave a bit of it in there but you can eliminate it completely.
Ok, my mistake, did not realize it was possible to remove bleed just with the setting. Good work DrumGizmo!

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

tavasti wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:32 pm
funkmuscle wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:40 pm That's exactly how I do it. You can use the bleed on/off and slide it all the way to the left and that gets rid of the bleeding that's why I couldn't understand this thread to begin with. I like the bleed so I leave a bit of it in there but you can eliminate it completely.
Ok, my mistake, did not realize it was possible to remove bleed just with the setting. Good work DrumGizmo!
Apologies for reviving this very old thread, but I only recently found out about the bleed setting, and I had some doubts: I thought about opening a new post, but a search led me here. I suspect I must be using it wrong, because it seems not to have any effect for me... Whether it's 100% or 0%, the snare is still audible in other channels as well and relatively weak on the snare channel itself, making it very hard to properly mix it (especially to a mixing dummy like me :mrgreen: ). Is bleed only supposed to have an impact on some channels, e.g., ambience, or on all of them? This happens with both CrocellKit and MuldjordKit3, both of which do support the bleeding setting if I've read correctly.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

@Rainmak3r, if you hadn't bumped this thread, I would have. I also want to learn more about how the bleed feature works. In my case, I want to know if I can reduce the amount of DSP load by setting the bleed to 0%, or will DrumGizmo still do the work of processing all the samples and then silence the bleed channels in the end?
uns4ph3
Established Member

Post by uns4ph3 »

I noticed no difference in DSP loads with bleed on and off, but what I did notice is that without bleed, I had to do a lot more processing to get the kick to thump.
Search for Fusterclucker on your favorite streaming platforms to hear my awful music, and go visit my blog for my inane rants.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

The room XML file I had to edit because you need all the bleed happening in the room microphone and I found out by reducing the bleed it cleaned it out of everything so I asked the boys that created this amazing app on how to do it and I think it was Deva who told me how to edit the XML file.

I don't even bother with using that bleed control anymore after seeing this video and it works amazingly and I use it on the kick drum and the snare drum. You can also use it on the toms

Code: Select all

https://youtu.be/WByt3ShEy0o 
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

funkmuscle wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:58 am The room XML file I had to edit because you need all the bleed happening in the room microphone and I found out by reducing the bleed it cleaned it out of everything so I asked the boys that created this amazing app on how to do it and I think it was Deva who told me how to edit the XML file.

I don't even bother with using that bleed control anymore after seeing this video and it works amazingly and I use it on the kick drum and the snare drum. You can also use it on the toms

Code: Select all

https://youtu.be/WByt3ShEy0o 
That's an interesting technique but I feel that, depending on the kit, it may cause the number of tracks to explode: there's already many busses for DG channels, and duplicating those you want to remove the bleed from can add many more (unless as you said you only limit it to some). With the Muldjord Kit for instance I think this may take more work, as IIRC the snare channel itself doesn't seem to have bleed, but is very "weak", while other parts of the drums are scattered across other channels, which means those are the ones I'd have to filter out somehow (so more than just one).

Thanks for the tip, though, I'll have to give it a try someday!
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

PS: I found out why the bleed control didn't seem to have any effect for me... I was tweaking the slider back and forth, but wasn't pressing the "on" button! :oops: In my defense, it's quite tiny :mrgreen:
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Returning to this old thread.

Non-bleeding version of drumkits would be beneficial also on terms of sample file sizes. Instead of having all channels present on every sample, just to have primary, overheads and ambient/room would shrink total drumkit size to about half. And sure this same benefit would be in memory/disk io usage when using.

And sure, my original question of modifying xml would not make change in file sizes :-)