Getting Ardour to Show DrumGizmo Main Window

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, deva

MarkR
Established Member

Getting Ardour to Show DrumGizmo Main Window

Post by MarkR »

Hi,

I am working with Linux Mint 17.3 and the DrumGizmo plugin was not available so I compiled from source. I did the full configure/make/make install, and did compile WITH the --lv2-enabled flag on (think that's the right syntax). I looked through the configure --help options and nothing else really stood out to me. There were no errors on the build.

After the install and starting up Ardour, I can create a Midi channel and select DrumGizmo as an instrument, and can assign the 16 channels or auto it. Once the channel is created, it sort of looks good, but the external MIDI device shows Generic (not sure if this right, I would have expected it to say DrumGizmo).

When I go to the mixer page and double click on the DrumGizmo plugin for this channel, I get the simple DrumGizmo screen, the one that has latency, freewheel and the keyboard, and a bunch of other stuff, but I do not get the window to select the drum kit, midi map and humanizer. Nothing I click on will give me that page. I am able to get the drum kit load window up by running the plugingui in the ./plugingui directory, but that does't feed back into Ardour that I can tell.

I'm not sure what might be wrong. Looking through everything, as far as I can tell, the LV2 module is installed correctly under /user/local/lib/lv2, and this path is in the Ardour LV2 path. I do notice in the drumgizmo.ttl file that FreeWheel is listed... is there an option on the "make install" command I need to add to get it to put the other plugin in?

Thanks in advance. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. This is probably just a simple configuration issue.

Mark
deva
Established Member

Re: Getting Ardour to Show DrumGizmo Main Window

Post by deva »

Hi Mark

It sounds as if you compiled Ardour yourself and did not have libsuil when doing so?
Can you see other plugin UIs? or is this only happening for DrumGizmo?

libsuil is responsible for "bridging" lv2 plugin UIs with Ardour, so if Ardour wasn't compiled with it, it won't be able to show any custom LV2 UIs.
Ardour does checking for libsuil when it comfigure but only issues a warning if it doesn't find it which easily drowns out in the vast configure output.

I hope this helps :-)

Cheers // Bent
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

Long shot, but who knows...

Do you see the "Drumkit file" and "Midi map file" fields? Do you click on "Browse" and nothing happens?

What happens to me is that when I click on "Browse" and the window to load the file always appear under Ardour's window. At first I kept cleaning and nothing seemed to happen, but the window was just beneath Ardour's. So, just to make sure, double check that. (I can see it in my taskbar.)

Again, long shot...
MarkR
Established Member

Post by MarkR »

@Bent,

I think you may have it. I did not have libsuil-dev installed when I compiled Ardour. I forgot to mention that and I'm using 5.12. I did read something about needing to build DrumGizmo with the same libraries that Ardour was compiled with and had that covered, but I didn't have the dev files installed. I'll give that a shot. That will take me a bit to remember how I did that and got it run correctly on my system. I'll post here if it works.

@finotti - I don't seem to be having that issue. No other windows show up above or below Ardour, just the generic window and no, the "Drumkit File" and "Midi Map" fields don't show up anywhere.

Thanks all. Hopefully edit this solved soon.
MarkR
Established Member

Post by MarkR »

Well, guess my reply hasn't been cleared yet, so new post. I did the Ardour compile with the libsuil-dev installed, but no change. I did a make clean on Ardour and full rebuild as well. I don't like WAF. Not sure how to get it to tell me dependencies and what it's using. Configure always shows me what it finds.

When I double click DrumGizmo plugin though on the Mixer page, I get this error...

(ardour-5.12.0:14044): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_window_get_origin: assertion 'GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

I can't find where this error is generated from. Seems like it might be failing trying to get the main window to load and then defaults to the freewheel one... though I'm still a bit confused why the drumgizmo.ttl file only says "freewheel" in it. Shouldn't it have the other window listed in it?

I've never created a plugin before so just know enough to be confused.

You asked another question about other plugins. I'm including a screen shot of Ardour with DrumGizmo and Guitarix up. I notice that they both have the same type of properties about latency and manual on the top and are not providing any graphic type interface, just bare bones. Do I need to talk with the Ardour guys?"
ArdourDrumGizmoScreen.jpg
ArdourDrumGizmoScreen.jpg (209.24 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
Mark
deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

I think you need to not just make clean in the ardour source folder but also force a re-configure using 'waf configure' . Simply re-running make might reuse the old settings from the first configure which detected no libsuil.
MarkR
Established Member

Post by MarkR »

That was it! It's working now. Thanks! I am not too familiar with waf and wasn't sure how to force it to reconfigure. I guess the obvious choice was too obvious, lol.

Thanks again. Now maybe I can get to work on music instead of programming!

v/r
Mark
deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

Your're most welcome - I hope you enjoy the 'Gizmo :-)
... and should end up creating something cool with it that you want to share please tell us about it :)