Status of DG Edit?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, deva

GMaq
Established Member

Status of DG Edit?

Post by GMaq »

Hi guys,

I've been intending for 3 yrs now to do a DG kit and now have a better studio and better mics so I hope this winter to finally get to it and add 2 DG kits to my AVL Drumkits. One thing that has held me back is the status of DG Edit, when I watched your workshop at LAC 2014 it appeared DG Edit was quite mature already and functional, it certainly would make kit creation much easier since arranging and collecting samples for a DG Kit is not a trivial task. Are there plans to release an official version of DG Edit?
chaot4
Established Member

Re: Status of DG Edit?

Post by chaot4 »

Hey :)

That would be great if you create your own DG drumkits!

DGEdit is in a functional state and can definitely be used to create a new drumkit. We also already had some users who created their own drumkits using DGEdit. On the wiki page you can find a rough guide on how to do that. Of course, feel free to contact us in case you need help in the process.

Regarding the plans of an official version: that should be answered by deva.
deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

The editor hasn't changed since we made the presentation at lac2014.
It's development is currently frozen because we want to change the drumkit format a bit in the engine and then after that continue development on the editor to reflect those changes.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi deva!

So... are you recommending to wait until the format changes? I read the wiki, I generally understand the process but whoa that's a lot of text editing! Even my SFZ kits are mostly generated with scripts with a bit of finer details done by hand.

Another option is that I will almost certainly be resampling my kits because even for the next SFZ and Soundfont2 releases I want to add more velocity layering and round-robin samples. If I uploaded the entire Ardour 5 session with all the tracks and the samples nicely marked and organized along the timeline would you guys be interested in taking it the rest of the way?
muldjord
Established Member

Post by muldjord »

Hi GMag,
Without making any promises, we don't expect that the way the actual .wav files are stored will change. What /will/ change is the xml for both the kits and, as far as I remember, the instruments themselves. And, again, as far as I remember, we are mostly talking about additions to elements and nodes, not a huge restructuring. So converting to the new format once it has been implemented won't be a huge task.

Also, we always strive for backwards compatibility, so we will probably support the old format going forward aswell. But I would certainly recommend updating the kits once the new format is in.

So, why are we interested in a new format to begin with? Well, first and foremost, we do not have any metadata in there right now. That means that people have to visit the website or check the readme's to know how the kit is setup. That's not overly user friendly. So we want metadata to be presented in the gui. We are also discussing other stuff, but I can't remember exactly what they are right now. Check the roadmap on the website for hints. :)

As far as doing the DGEdit stuff for users, we simply don't have the time to do that even though we would love to. Of course I can't speak for the entire team, but please read the instructions on the website carefully. I've made a pretty good walkthrough of the process and used it myself a couple times.

Hope this helps. :)