CrocellKit OH Balance

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, deva

finotti
Established Member

CrocellKit OH Balance

Post by finotti »

I've noticed that when using the CrocellKit that the left/right balance of the overhead mics seems to be off. A single hit on the left crash yields more volume on the right channel than on the left channel of the OH mics. (The room mics seem to be OK.)

Of course, I can send L/R to different tracks (I'm currently sending them to a stereo track) and balance them myself, but I assume that, if it is not user error, this is not the expected behavior.
deva
Established Member

Re: CrocellKit OH Balance

Post by deva »

The channels levels were set as they were on the recording session for the Crocell album, so I'm guessing they were just set to maximum volume without clipping when hitting the cymbals.
This kit has a center OH mic also btw. which also indicates that the producer didn't aim for a perfectly balanced stereo "image" on the Oh mics.

I think the easiest solution would be to just turn down the right OH channel before sending it to the stereo bus (through volume slider or attenuation knob?) - depending on what is available in your DAW of course.
finotti
Established Member

Re: CrocellKit OH Balance

Post by finotti »

Thanks for the reply!
deva wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:42 pm I think the easiest solution would be to just turn down the right OH channel before sending it to the stereo bus (through volume slider or attenuation knob?) - depending on what is available in your DAW of course.
Sounds good! Thanks for your help.