0.9.15 plan

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, deva

deva
Established Member

0.9.15 plan

Post by deva »

I would like to have the main focus of 0.9.15 to be MacOSX support.
That means:
- Make cocoa backend
- Extending unit tests to run on the macosx platform
- Add AAX or AU support to plugingizmo.
- Add CoreAudio backend to cli

On top of that we will of course be able to "inject" other tasks as well as we see fit ;)

What do you think?
chaot4
Established Member

Re: 0.9.15 plan

Post by chaot4 »

Awesome plan! :) I'm really excited to make OS X support happen.

Even though I am currently more motivated to continue with bleed control, velocity maps, ... ; I think OS X support is another huge step for DG. So, let's do this! :)
deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

chaot4 wrote:Awesome plan! :) I'm really excited to make OS X support happen.

Even though I am currently more motivated to continue with bleed control, velocity maps, ... ; I think OS X support is another huge step for DG. So, let's do this! :)
I agree with the "more motivated" statement. But I consider the OSX support the last "unknown" wrt. the project development and it would be really great to have that obstacle out of the way before we continue into the wild (and world domination :p )
chaot4
Established Member

Post by chaot4 »

I completely agree!
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

hey guys I'm using the 0.9.15 git and on your website about the Humanized timings:

Code: Select all

Add slider to set “maximum latency”
Add slider to set timing mean and stddev.
Setting max latency should affect both directions even though it is only actually limited in the “too early” sense.

Setting mean to “+5ms” and stddev to “0ms” will play all strokes 5ms late, and probably sound “laid back”.

Setting mean to “+0ms” and stddev to “20ms” will play all strokes “in time” but seem “sloppy”.

Setting mean to “-5ms” will make it sound “up beat”
what slider?

Add slider to set “maximum latency”
Add slider to set timing mean and stddev.
what does it mean?

Setting mean to
Reason I'm asking is I'm getting major latency with humanizer on when programming beats in MusE
deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

funkmuscle wrote:Reason I'm asking is I'm getting major latency with humanizer on when programming beats in MusE
You can just bypass it by clicking the little on/off icon at the upper left corner of the "Timing Humanizer" box.
You may need to save, and reopen the project in order to get the DAW to recalculate the plugin latencies.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

deva wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:Reason I'm asking is I'm getting major latency with humanizer on when programming beats in MusE
You can just bypass it by clicking the little on/off icon at the upper left corner of the "Timing Humanizer" box.
You may need to save, and reopen the project in order to get the DAW to recalculate the plugin latencies.
I love the humanizer on it so I want to use it I just wanted to understand how it's working or how to use it properly. It's one of my favorite things about the plugin.
deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

funkmuscle wrote:
deva wrote:
I love the humanizer on it so I want to use it I just wanted to understand how it's working or how to use it properly. It's one of my favorite things about the plugin.
It inserts fixed a delay of 250ms in order to be able to move notes forward in time. This number may change in the future until we make the final release but it is needed.
If you re-open an old session with the new plugin version, you need to create a new project, in order for it to work. This issue will be fixed before the release but we haven't addressed it in current git yet.
The problem is that the old plugin stored the value in "number of samples" which was in the vicinity of 10000 samples. Just loading the old project will interpret this as a fixed 10s delay which is a bit much...
deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

I just pushed a change to master that ignores the value from the stored plugin settings, so now the old sessions should work again.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

deva wrote:I just pushed a change to master that ignores the value from the stored plugin settings, so now the old sessions should work again.
sweet, seem to be better now. will continue to test and send feedback if any issues.
thanx Deva
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

hey guys, I want to use the timing humanizer but with it on, the first beat is off to the metronome or late.

Setting mean to “+5ms” and stddev to “0ms” 

"Setting mean to"... What is mean?
I see the stddev but nothing says mean on the plugin. That's what's throwing me off.

EDIT: this only happens in MusE where I create my drum tracks
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

funkmuscle wrote:hey guys, I want to use the timing humanizer but with it on, the first beat is off to the metronome or late.

I see the stddev but nothing says mean on the plugin. That's what's throwing me off.

Maybe you should wait for a response from someone who actually knows, but they seem statistical terms:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation
deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

finotti wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:hey guys, I want to use the timing humanizer but with it on, the first beat is off to the metronome or late.

Maybe you should wait for a response from someone who actually knows, but they seem statistical terms:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation
Yes, it is indeed statistical terms and the engine do use those internally. They are, however, not exposed directly in the UI. Instead they are called "Tightness" which indirectly controls the stddev and "Timing regain" which will move the mean value back towards perfect timing with some weight. Laidback-ness likewise indirectly controls the mean value by adding an offset to it.

The document you are referring to is not meant as documentation for the user, but was rather used as a design document for the feature while we discussed how to implement it. This is why the UI doesn't correspond to it.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

great info guys, thank you.. I've got it working great in Ardour but MusE where I create beats, DG doesn't respond to changes made. Even after closing MusE and re-opening.
deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

How do you use it with MusE? To the best of my knowledge MusE doesn't support LV2 yet?