Free acoustic drum bank for DrumGizmo, 1.7 GB, round robin

DrumGizmo development and support forum.
http://drumgizmo.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, Glocke, deva

JamesPeters
Established Member

Re: Free acoustic drum bank for DrumGizmo, 1.7 GB, round robin

Post by JamesPeters »

Yes, if you're swapping kits (this one and other DrumGizmo kits) and expecting the outputs to be mapped the same way, they will not be. There is no sensible standard channel mapping for all possible kits (made by different people) that I can imagine, since they will contain different kit pieces (and some don't have overhead/room but others do, etc.), so I chose the mapping that made the most sense for the order of child tracks I wanted to see in the mixer. The order of the channel mapping is easy to change; edit the particular kit.xml file and change the order of the channel names at the top between the "<channels>" and "</channels>" tags (move the info on each line up or down in that list as you desire).

Similarly the MIDI note mapping is going to be different from other kits. Thankfully changing the MIDI note mapping is very easy to do, since it just requires editing the midimap.xml file in question and changing the note numbers to what you want.

I would urge people to read the 12-page readme.pdf (or at least the channel_map_info.txt file) that I included so that you will understand the channel mapping and other aspects of this kit. It will save confusion.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Michael Willis wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:19 pm
funkmuscle wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:50 pm yep. I loaded this kit and only heard snare. Loaded DRS and heard the entire kit using the same instant of drumgizmo. Gonna try again.
In this kit, the first two channels are snare mics. The first two channels in DRSKit are the ambient mics.
Yes I know that but all the regular drum Gizmo kits load in muse but this one when I load up the main kit it only gives me the snare drums. I do the same thing in Ardour and Reaper and the main kid loads properly. I've always been using Muse to do my drum editing so I know how to load it in there but for some reason when I load the main Kit from this one here I only get the snare drum
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

funkmuscle wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:57 pm Yes I know that but all the regular drum Gizmo kits load in muse but this one when I load up the main kit it only gives me the snare drums. I do the same thing in Ardour and Reaper and the main kid loads properly. I've always been using Muse to do my drum editing so I know how to load it in there but for some reason when I load the main Kit from this one here I only get the snare drum
Oh, that's weird. I don't know much about how Muse integrates with plugins, so I don't know why that would happen.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Michael Willis wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:57 pm
funkmuscle wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:57 pm Yes I know that but all the regular drum Gizmo kits load in muse but this one when I load up the main kit it only gives me the snare drums. I do the same thing in Ardour and Reaper and the main kid loads properly. I've always been using Muse to do my drum editing so I know how to load it in there but for some reason when I load the main Kit from this one here I only get the snare drum
Oh, that's weird. I don't know much about how Muse integrates with plugins, so I don't know why that would happen.
The problem is probably from the person sitting in my seat! Wait a minute, that's me! :mrgreen:
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

I finally gave this kit a quick test. It sounds great! I gave it a little bit of Dragonfly Room with nice results, but honestly it already has enough of a room sound that I'm not sure how much it needs the reverb (probably depends on what else is going on in the mix). I already have a few ideas rolling around in my head about ways to use it.
Last edited by Michael Willis on Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
JamesPeters
Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

I used Dragonfly Hall in a separate bus, set for a "big" almost 80s sort of vibe, sending all the tracks to it, and it is really neat. But for a more realistic sound, even of a medium/large-ish room, it has plenty of that going for it already especially in the room buses. I really like using the "full" version with separate DrumGizmo instances to decide how much OH/room sound I want for snare versus kick (and so on). Plus it's nice if you want to EQ the toms, and also the OH/room sounds for the toms (for consistency) without affecting the OH/room sounds of anything else, as another example.

On the other hand: if someone wants a really smaller room sound or a very specific room sound that the current OH/room buses don't provide, Dragonfly is perfect. Turn down the OH/room buses, and send the proximity tracks to a bus with Dragonfly.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

JamesPeters wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:53 am I used Dragonfly Hall in a separate bus, set for a "big" almost 80s sort of vibe, sending all the tracks to it, and it is really neat. But for a more realistic sound, even of a medium/large-ish room, it has plenty of that going for it already especially in the room buses. I really like using the "full" version with separate DrumGizmo instances to decide how much OH/room sound I want for snare versus kick (and so on). Plus it's nice if you want to EQ the toms, and also the OH/room sounds for the toms (for consistency) without affecting the OH/room sounds of anything else, as another example.

On the other hand: if someone wants a really smaller room sound or a very specific room sound that the current OH/room buses don't provide, Dragonfly is perfect. Turn down the OH/room buses, and send the proximity tracks to a bus with Dragonfly.
So you're saying you can get that big belly, fat ass sound of John Bonham with this? Please say yeah, I'm getting happier here. :D
JamesPeters
Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

With its own room sounds turned up, you can get fairly close especially if you compress the proximity channels (and maybe even the room channels). Choose the appropriate kick (a couple are better for this), the appropriate snare, and be liberal with room channel usage. :) I wouldn't say I've nailed a LZ sound when testing (I'm not a LZ fan so I didn't attempt to do that specifically), but I know I can get something similar if I want. Adding Dragonfly Hall (or room) with the right settings on another bus, with various channels sent to it (kick/snare/toms for sure, maybe even the room/OH buses of those too), and it'll sound quite "big".

This kit will allow for lots of rock, metal, blues etc. sounds. It will just require some thought about how you mix it. Your experience with mixes will pay off. Even the most basic EQ and compressor plugins will go a long way, if you use them appropriately.

Also you might have noticed I already mentioned this on page 11 of the PDF document. :) Note the additional recommendation of a "crunch bus" too.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

funkmuscle wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:50 pm
finotti wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:51 am
funkmuscle wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:01 am Will you be making a version back to work in Muse? When I load the main kit in Muse I hear nothing but of course if I load it in Reaper and follow your instructions which is what I did and also in Ardour it sounds amazing..
I haven't tried it yet, but did you configure the 16 channels in Muse (like usual for Drumgizmo)?
yep. I loaded this kit and only heard snare. Loaded DRS and heard the entire kit using the same instant of drumgizmo. Gonna try again.
That's because the first two tracks of the DRS are the room tracks, so you can hear it all, but only two tracks are really working. Watch this: https://youtu.be/hXDCTmcBmLg?t=471
12strings2hands
Established Member

Post by 12strings2hands »

James Peters, this is great! I had no problem getting this running in Ardour. Very nice samples recorded by Vincent Sermonne. They seem to have a nice room sound, and the velocity levels capture a lot of the differences in how the drum or cymbal is struck.
As you suggested could be customized, I changed the order and assignments of channels and instruments to line up with the existing Gizmo kits. Your documentation and layout of the xml files is superb. Can't thank you enough.
JamesPeters
Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

You're welcome! I'm very glad you appreciate it!
luciorgomes
Established Member

Post by luciorgomes »

Scripts and midnam files for Ardour and Mixbus updated. Tchackpoum kit included --> https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts/662
JamesPeters
Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

Thanks for that! First post updated.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

After so many years of arranging tracks with virtual drum kits that follow the General Midi drum spec, I kept feeling lost while experimenting with this kit. If anybody is interested, I made a main_kit_GM_midimap.xml to better match my prior experience. Of course it uses only about half of the samples, because the general midi spec doesn't account for things like cymbal edge hits and such, but I'm ok with that since I tend to be more of a minimalist anyway.

I wanted to include the cowbell, but then I realized that all 16 output channels are already used by the configuration of the main kit.

If anybody else is interested, it is small enough that I'm attaching the file here as well as showing it inline. I'm open to making improvements if anybody has suggestions.

main_kit_GM_midimap.xml
Midi map for Tchackpoum DrumGizmo kit that follows the General Midi drum spec.
(978 Bytes) Downloaded 127 times

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<midimap>
  <map note="31" instr="snare_ss" />

<map note="35" instr="kick_prem_free" />
  <map note="36" instr="kick_prem_damp" />
  <map note="37" instr="snare_supr64_rim" />
  <map note="38" instr="snare_supr64" />

<map note="40" instr="snare_supr64_edg" />
  <map note="41" instr="tom_16_prem_edg" />
  <map note="42" instr="hihat_zild_clo" />  
  <map note="43" instr="tom_16_prem" />
  <map note="44" instr="hihat_zild_ped" />
  <map note="45" instr="tom_13_prem_edg" />
  <map note="46" instr="hihat_zild_op2" />  
  <map note="47" instr="tom_13_prem" />
  <map note="48" instr="tom_12_prem_edg" />
  <map note="49" instr="crash_14_zild_edg" />
  <map note="50" instr="tom_12_prem" />
  <map note="51" instr="ride_20_pais_bow" />
  <map note="52" instr="cymb_18_zild_efx_edg" />
  <map note="53" instr="ride_20_pais_bel" />

<map note="57" instr="crash_15_sabi_edg" />
  <map note="59" instr="ride_20_pais_edg" />
</midimap>
JamesPeters
Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

Thanks for the GM MIDI map!
Last edited by JamesPeters on Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.