Free acoustic drum bank for DrumGizmo, 1.7 GB, round robin

DrumGizmo development and support forum.
http://drumgizmo.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, Glocke, deva

JamesPeters
Established Member

Free acoustic drum bank for DrumGizmo, 1.7 GB, round robin

Post by JamesPeters »

This is a drumkit I made from the tchackpoum.fr samples for DrumGizmo, a free drum plugin. It is composed of up to 18 velocity layers per kit piece, and 2 round robin hits per kit piece. The total size is 1.7 GB so it should work for computers with a minimum 4 GB of RAM (it should even work on computers with 32-bit Windows and 32-bit Reaper). It uses significantly less CPU than some DrumGizmo kits since it doesn't have channel bleed (which means far fewer audio streams are playing at once); instead the ambient support for the kit is handled by room and overhead bus channels.

This kit has two different approaches of working with it:
  • Use a single comprehensive kit in a single instance of DrumGizmo, which has 16 outputs, so the room and overhead channels of most kit pieces are pre-mixed into room and overhead buses, or
  • Use multiple kits in multiple instances of DrumGizmo, one for each kit piece type, which gets around the 16-channel limit of a single DrumGizmo instance. This allows for individual room and overhead buses for each kit piece type for maximum control over the sound (a total of 38 audio channels).
Reaper track templates are included to quickly set it up. You'll have to browse to the kit files to load them in each DrumGizmo instance, but that's about all the work it should take. (And decide in the track manager how many child tracks you want visible in the TCP, etc.) Don't forget you can always save a new track template with any changes you make to it, including the overall mix you create and EQ and compression plugins you use.

A couple MP3 demo clips (just a little EQ on the kick but otherwise "dry"):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=122XiJ ... VruIQhIzHG

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13VMpk ... bGzeZY1jo-

I think it's well suited to rock, blues, metal, and so on. It's probably not the best for jazz due to the lack of jazz-type articulations (no brushes used instead of sticks, etc.) It'll probably take some EQ and compression to sculpt it just right. This is about as raw sounding as it gets; it's good sounding, but raw. It's a very good starting point for using reasonable amounts of EQ/compression any mixing engineer would have to do on a good neutral recording of real acoustic drums.

Download the drumkit here (752 MB zip file):

Tchackpoum DrumGizmo kit version 1.3

Download the documentation here (71 KB zip file):

Tchackpoum DrumGizmo documentation version 1.3

Google Drive has file download limits, so I expect this link may not work from time to time.

This kit requires the DrumGizmo plugin (a free plugin), version 0.9.18.1 or newer (the current DrumGizmo version is 0.9.19).

To download DrumGizmo for Windows or Mac, see this page.

If you use Linux and want the Linux VST version of DrumGizmo (for Reaper for Linux), you can get it in the KXStudio repo (Note: only the LV2 version is in the official Linux repos, but not the Linux VST version).

The kit's midimap will be different from any other you use for any other product. Sorry about that. There's an explanation about that in the readme.pdf file.

And if you don't like this: you can have your money back. :)

For people who use other DAWs: sorry but it takes a bit more work to set it up. Instructions and channel maps are included for reference. Scripts and midnam files for Ardour and Mixbus can be downloaded from here courtesy of luciorgomes.
Last edited by JamesPeters on Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:29 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Free acoustic drum bank for DrumGizmo, 1.7 GB, round robin

Post by Michael Willis »

Ooh, this sounds great! I love Drum Gizmo; a new kit to play with is very exciting.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Thank you James!!!!! Been waiting for a new kit. Round robin too?! Sweet
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Very good! Congratulations, sounds killer! Definitely checking it out, thanks for sharing.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I'm definitely loving it but I love the kit with the bleeding because it just sounds more natural especially in a mix. That's from a hard rock heavy metal point of view but this kit would sound amazing doing some R&B and some old school funk.
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Hi, I tested the kit in Ardour using AvLinux 2020RC1, I followed all the instructions found on readme but I couldn't get the whole kit to work, I can only hear the snare sounds that start at C0, the last one to work is 21 snare_ss. So yeah, gotta check that out see what's wrong.

Thanks for sharing this awesome kit!

Cheers,

Rodney
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Nevermind I found out what the issue was, when I was creating a new midi Track in Ardour I was selecting "automatic", for output configuration. If you do that the kit won't work correctly. You have to choose "16 channels" now that makes it work correctly.

Thanks a Lot for this kit, it sounds amazing!

Att.: Rodney
JamesPeters
Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

I'm glad you got it working, Rodney! I'm not familiar with DAWs besides Reaper at this point, otherwise I'd have included more information.
funkmuscle wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:36 pm I'm definitely loving it but I love the kit with the bleeding because it just sounds more natural especially in a mix. That's from a hard rock heavy metal point of view but this kit would sound amazing doing some R&B and some old school funk.
There are rock and metal mixes which are done without bleed, or with a small amount of it. It's a matter of the intent of the mix more than anything. Also if you pay attention to enough mixes you might notice that the drums by themselves (if there are no other instruments playing) have more ambience, and suddenly have less ambience when other instruments join in. :) The engineer will purposely make the kit more "dry" sometimes. Drum ambience, if there's too much, can take away from the space of a mix.

Anyway I'd recommend you use the "full" kit approach (7 instances of DrumGizmo) so you have individual control of room/overhead of each kit piece group. If you like bleed, chances are you'll like some of the overhead sounds turned up for some kit pieces at least. It can sound quite similar to bleed.
Last edited by JamesPeters on Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Is there a way to get this kit also working in Hydrogen? That would be awesome! Creating drums on a piano roll is really frustrating.

Thanks again a lot for this awesome kit!
JamesPeters
Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

I'm glad you like it!

I don't know much about Hydrogen. If it can use multi-velocity sample banks using WAV files with multiple audio channels, then yes. You'd have to create a kit for it yourself with the WAV files, and refer to the documentation about which audio channels are responsible for the various parts of the sound (proximity, overhead, room, etc.) per kit piece. If Hydrogen will only work with mono or stereo WAV files, you have the option of making mono or stereo copies of the WAV files by removing the channels you don't need; you'd have to figure that out in whatever audio editor you use.

Anyway doesn't Ardour have some kind of provision for making patterns, an addon or script? I know very little about it. In Reaper there are a few methods of doing that kind of thing, such as using the JS plugin MegaBaby for instance.

I just use the piano roll in Reaper. I set the grid how I want for a particular part (1/4, 1/8, straight or triplet, etc.) and "paint" notes. Then change the grid settings (there's a button at the bottom of the MIDI editor, so it's fast) and do another part. Once you get a feel for how drum beats "are assembled", you can work more quickly with even some basic tools such as this.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Will you be making a version back to work in Muse? When I load the main kit in Muse I hear nothing but of course if I load it in Reaper and follow your instructions which is what I did and also in Ardour it sounds amazing..
JamesPeters
Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

I have never used Muse, and I don't plan to look for any other DAW or any other sampler etc. at the moment. So this was basically meant as "here, this took me a long time to finally complete, it's for DrumGizmo". That sort of thing. :) But you have all the WAV files and mappings for them in the documentation. It's released for free and you can make derivative works. If you want to make banks for other things, be my guest (and Vincent's).

(edit) This should work fine in MusE. DrumGizmo works in MusE, as I've just discovered. See this video.
Last edited by JamesPeters on Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

funkmuscle wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:01 am Will you be making a version back to work in Muse? When I load the main kit in Muse I hear nothing but of course if I load it in Reaper and follow your instructions which is what I did and also in Ardour it sounds amazing..
I haven't tried it yet, but did you configure the 16 channels in Muse (like usual for Drumgizmo)?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

finotti wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:51 am
funkmuscle wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:01 am Will you be making a version back to work in Muse? When I load the main kit in Muse I hear nothing but of course if I load it in Reaper and follow your instructions which is what I did and also in Ardour it sounds amazing..
I haven't tried it yet, but did you configure the 16 channels in Muse (like usual for Drumgizmo)?
yep. I loaded this kit and only heard snare. Loaded DRS and heard the entire kit using the same instant of drumgizmo. Gonna try again.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

funkmuscle wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:50 pm yep. I loaded this kit and only heard snare. Loaded DRS and heard the entire kit using the same instant of drumgizmo. Gonna try again.
In this kit, the first two channels are snare mics. The first two channels in DRSKit are the ambient mics.