Page 1 of 2

DrumGizmo 0.9.17 Released!

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:09 am
by deva
DrumGizmo 0.9.17 Released!

DrumGizmo is an open source, multichannel, multilayered, cross-platform
drum plugin and stand-alone application. It enables you to compose drums
in midi and mix them with a multichannel approach. It is comparable to
that of mixing a real drumkit that has been recorded with a multimic setup.

In this release we tried to jam in as many of our planned changes to the
xml as possible. There are still a few more to go but this release has
brought us a large step closer to our feature-complete xml format. Quite
a few other major features has also found their way into this release,
which will be much more visible (and audible) to the users.

Highlights:

Improved sample selection algorithm.
Clicky-kit feature.
Midnam support.
Directed choke functionality.
Drumkit metadata support.
Experimental Cocoa UI support for MacOSX.

Also some bug fixes and a lot of code refactoring (replaced eXpat with
pugixml for one).

For a detailed description of all the new shiny features, including
audio samples and lots of screenshots, see the changelog for 0.9.17 [1].

And now, without further ado, go grab 0.9.17 [2]

[1]: https://drumgizmo.org/wiki/doku.php?id= ... zmo-0.9.17
[2]: http://www.drumgizmo.org/wiki/doku.php? ... _drumgizmo

Re: DrumGizmo 0.9.17 Released!

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:07 pm
by funkmuscle
Thanks guys, can't wait to try it out.

Re: DrumGizmo 0.9.17 Released!

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:38 pm
by funkmuscle
ok I'm a bit confused. The

Code: Select all

Clicky-Kit Feature

the changelog shows a script. Am I supposed to add this to the build? Also this too:

Code: Select all

Directed Choke Functionality

Re: DrumGizmo 0.9.17 Released!

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:54 am
by deva
Clicky-Kit and Directed Choke are new functionalities that has been added to the engine which can optionally be used by the drumkit xml files.
If the xml-tags and attributes specified in the changelog are not present the features are simply not used.
The code shown are examples of how this could look inside the drumkit xml.

You do not need to change anything to build them into the plugin.

We will gradually upgrade the drumkits on our website with these new features but so far none have been upgraded.

For now, just think of these features as new features which can be used by users who create their own drumkits.

Re: DrumGizmo 0.9.17 Released!

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:27 am
by funkmuscle
Thanks Deva for the explanation. Looking forward do you guys updating the drum kits.

Re: DrumGizmo 0.9.17 Released!

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:04 pm
by w_line
Awesome! Thanks for all the work and the new release!

I started building clicky-kit images for the kit that I am building - great feature! (and helped speed up testing while building the kit)

Directed choke, the new sample selection for round robins, everything working great!

The one feature that I didn't have luck with was dgvalidator - only tried it briefly, but didn't report any issues on the kit (when it was definitely broken)

Thanks again! You guys are amazing.

Re: DrumGizmo 0.9.17 Released!

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:53 am
by deva
w_line wrote:The one feature that I didn't have luck with was dgvalidator - only tried it briefly, but didn't report any issues on the kit (when it was definitely broken)

I noticed that all the output from dgvalidator is accidentally choked before it reaches the terminal if drumgizmo is compiled without debug mode (ie. without the --with-debug flag to ./configure, which should really not be present in deployment builds...).
This will be fixed for the upcoming bugfix release.

Re: DrumGizmo 0.9.17 Released!

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:29 am
by rizzin
What are the chances of drumgizmo getting Linux VST support?

Re: DrumGizmo 0.9.17 Released!

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:50 pm
by deva
rizzin wrote:What are the chances of drumgizmo getting Linux VST support?

DrumGizmo has in fact already been supporting linux VST for a couple of years now.
Some linux distros, such as KXStudio, ship with the VST in binary form si using that would probably be the easiest solution.
Alternatively you can compile against the VST SDK on the linux platform by running configure like this:

Code: Select all

./configure --enable-vst --with-vst-sources=/path/to/the/VST2.4_SDK

Be aware though, that the VST SDK2.4 is no longer supported/supplied by Steinberg, so you need to get your hands on that on some other way.

Re: DrumGizmo 0.9.17 Released!

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:59 am
by rizzin
Wow, thanks for that! Probably would be a good idea to update the documentation on the website too.

Re: DrumGizmo 0.9.17 Released!

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:16 pm
by deva
rizzin wrote:Wow, thanks for that! Probably would be a good idea to update the documentation on the website too.

We have a task about that actually :-)

Re: DrumGizmo 0.9.17 Released!

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:20 pm
by funkmuscle
hey guys, did something happen with the DRSKit and the latest DG?
I was about to fix a song up I created a while back in MusE.
Opened MusE and no sound. I saw that the drum full xml was red. I tried loading again and still the same. Tried a different kit and had no issues.

I was able to dup the same issue in Carla. DRSKit 2.1 will not load in the latest DG.

Re: DrumGizmo 0.9.17 Released!

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:46 pm
by funkmuscle
funkmuscle wrote:hey guys, did something happen with the DRSKit and the latest DG?
I was about to fix a song up I created a while back in MusE.
Opened MusE and no sound. I saw that the drum full xml was red. I tried loading again and still the same. Tried a different kit and had no issues.

I was able to dup the same issue in Carla. DRSKit 2.1 will not load in the latest DG.

Completely weird. I deleted the DRSkit and downloaded it again and it works. Really strange as I've been using it for sometime now without an issue.

As a side note or a request, any change of adding a mixer to DG? The DRSKit's hihats are really loud that I only use the overhead track and yet it's still louder that the cymbals.
I could lower the hihats by lowering the velocity in the midi events but that's a lot of work. Unless I'm missing something?
And thanks gang for this amazing software.

Re: DrumGizmo 0.9.17 Released!

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:55 pm
by English Guy
funkmuscle wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:
As a side note or a request, any change of adding a mixer to DG? The DRSKit's hihats are really loud that I only use the overhead track and yet it's still louder that the cymbals.
I could lower the hihats by lowering the velocity in the midi events but that's a lot of work. Unless I'm missing something?
And thanks gang for this amazing software.


When you open Drumgizmo in Mixbus or Ardour it gives the option to fan the drums out to multiple channels and you can mix the kit. I have created a template for the DRS kit so that I do not have to set up from scratch. Sorry, I do not know how you do this in Muse.

Re: DrumGizmo 0.9.17 Released!

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:02 pm
by funkmuscle
English Guy wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:
As a side note or a request, any change of adding a mixer to DG? The DRSKit's hihats are really loud that I only use the overhead track and yet it's still louder that the cymbals.
I could lower the hihats by lowering the velocity in the midi events but that's a lot of work. Unless I'm missing something?
And thanks gang for this amazing software.


When you open Drumgizmo in Mixbus or Ardour it gives the option to fan the drums out to multiple channels and you can mix the kit. I have created a template for the DRS kit so that I do not have to set up from scratch. Sorry, I do not know how you do this in Muse.

yeah I know but it doesn't control the instruments in the overhead so the hats are louder in the DRSKit than any of the other kits. I can't control what the overhead mics already recorded than way.... or can I?
I use your template I think. If your template is the one that creates the tracks via the lua scripts thing. I do fan out and get the individual tracks but but the overhead has the hihats too so I use it only because the hats are really loud in the overheads.