A call to arms! Midi files

DrumGizmo development and support forum.
http://drumgizmo.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, Glocke, deva

muldjord
Established Member

A call to arms! Midi files

Post by muldjord »

Now that DrumGizmo 0.9.14 has been released and we are slowly expanding our roster of drumkits, we've been discussing internally how to best present the kits to the users. How do we help YOU choose the kit you want to work with inside of DrumGizmo. As of now it is a bit of trial and error to find the kit that best suits any particular need, mostly relying on the text on the drumkit page and some pre-cooked samples we upload.

One thing we all agree on, is that samples are a definite plus when choosing a kit. Discussions regarding how exactly we're going to do that are ongoing, but for some initial input, we would like to invite you, our trusty userbase, to help us out a bit.

What we need are human recorded midi files (recorded by someone playing an electronic kit) with different types of beats and fills. The requirement for such files are that we are allowed to use them in any way we see fit. In other words, NO midi files from commercial products please! They need to be licensed in a way that allows us to redistribute them freely and even change them before doing so. We will of course add the authors to our special thanks list!

The basic idea here is that we might include renderings of each drumkit using bits of these midi files to allow for better judgment of the kits BEFORE committing to a huge download.

Interested in helping us out? Send any midi files to muldjordlars@gmail.com. Be sure to include details about the loop. Author, description, style, type, whatever you see fit! Also, if you do happen to have any restrictions on the use of your midi files, tell us about that aswell.

Thank you!
Drew_pew_pew
Established Member

Re: A call to arms! Midi files

Post by Drew_pew_pew »

I will see what I can do. I'm in the process of making an album with my band, but we only just started using drumgizmo and an electric drum. So it will take some time but if we have something usable I will definitely send it to you.
muldjord
Established Member

Post by muldjord »

Awesome! That would be greatly appreciated. :)
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

If you want to stay in a free territory I suggest not accepting files that are not free cultural works.
lucianodato
Established Member

Post by lucianodato »

I'll see what I can do. I myself don't have an electronic drum but a friend of mine does. I guess I can layout some grooves for you guys.
Arguy (IRC)
ivoaudio
Established Member

Post by ivoaudio »

muldjord wrote:What we need are human recorded midi files (recorded by someone playing an electronic kit) with different types of beats and fills.
Easy. I play in an alternative metal band and now have some songs from where to draw MIDI loops. The only thing is that I recorded using a MIDI drumkit that I had not configured, so I had to manually edit some of the music after the fact.
muldjord wrote:They need to be licensed in a way that allows us to redistribute them freely and even change them before doing so. We will of course add the authors to our special thanks list!
Do I have to state the license, or will tou be satisfied that I tell you you are free to use the MIDI files?
muldjord wrote:Interested in helping us out? Send any midi files to muldjordlars@gmail.com. Be sure to include details about the loop. Author, description, style, type, whatever you see fit! Also, if you do happen to have any restrictions on the use of your midi files, tell us about that aswell.
You´ll hear from me soon.

By the way, you may already know me as the guy who sent DrumGizmo devs an e-mail asking (using another account) for help bulding DrumGizmo for Mac Os X.