New Drumkit: CrocellKit

DrumGizmo development and support forum.
http://drumgizmo.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, Glocke, deva

chaot4
Established Member

New Drumkit: CrocellKit

Post by chaot4 »

CrocellKit is here!!!
No rest for the wicked at the DrumGizmo camp! We've cooked up an entirely new drumkit for you guys to try out. And it coincides perfectly with the implementation of diskstreaming in the recently released DrumGizmo 0.9.13. Why? Because this kit is a whopper! Taking up no less than 8.4 GB of space, this is by far the most thoroughly sampled kit we've ever created. Just the snare alone consist of almost 100 different hits. 100!!!

You can listen to a sample of the kit here.

And, when you've managed to clean up some space on your harddrive, download the kit HERE!

A special thanks goes out to the Danish metal band Crocell who just so happened to celebrate their 10th anniversary on April 29! One of the finest death metal acts on Danish soil. Also thank you to Jacob of JBOSound, who generously let us into the studio one evening, after the guys had wrapped up drum recordings for their upcoming album.
finotti
Established Member

Re: New Drumkit: CrocellKit

Post by finotti »

That's really great! Although I am quite new to music in Linux, I am amazed how good DrumGizmo is! I am having a lot of fun with it and can't wait to try tbe new kit.

Thanks for the amazing work and service to the community!
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

can't wait to try this but 8GB, that will take some space planning.
thanx guys again
sekret
Established Member

Post by sekret »

Hey guys, thanks for the new kit, I'll try it out asap!

Right now I use the MuldjordKit2 for everything and I'm pretty dependent on the trigger. Is there an easy way to include it in this kit? I find it very hard to make the kick sound right and cut through the mix.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sekret wrote:Hey guys, thanks for the new kit, I'll try it out asap!

Right now I use the MuldjordKit2 for everything and I'm pretty dependent on the trigger. Is there an easy way to include it in this kit? I find it very hard to make the kick sound right and cut through the mix.
For me the new kit and the drs when I edit or create a drum pattern, I use both kicks on the piano roll or if using Hydrogen. I find that one is the beater and one is the inside mic. Ever since doing that I get the click of the beater and no need for that click provided by the trigger.
sekret
Established Member

Post by sekret »

Nice idea, I'll try that, thanks!
sekret
Established Member

Post by sekret »

But there's one thing I have to say, it's kind of a bug report:

For future drum kits, _please_ hit the snare, toms and kick harder! Especially the snare and kick. Death Metal drummers tend to not hit very hard, but I and my drummer, we play with a _lot_ of power and in order to make the drums sound like played by us is nearly impossible.

This is no complaint, just an fyi. I get a good drum sound with the MuldjordKit2! But drums sound different (better!) if they are hit very hard imo :wink:
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

sekret wrote:But there's one thing I have to say, it's kind of a bug report:

For future drum kits, _please_ hit the snare, toms and kick harder! Especially the snare and kick. Death Metal drummers tend to not hit very hard, but I and my drummer, we play with a _lot_ of power and in order to make the drums sound like played by us is nearly impossible.

This is no complaint, just an fyi. I get a good drum sound with the MuldjordKit2! But drums sound different (better!) if they are hit very hard imo :wink:
Hi,

Actually getting a really hard hit to fully translate in samples is very difficult, you would be amazed at how different hitting a snare with Thor's hammer in the room sounds like once you get it sampled, I'm sure there is some psycho-acoustic reason this happens some kits are better than others but it is a common complaint that sampled drums of any kind don't translate 'clobbering' very well.

BTW the new kit sounds great DG guys!
KoldoRivas
Established Member

Post by KoldoRivas »

I´ve achieved lots of drum power with Avldrums-Black Pearl and parallel compression on snare and kick. Maybe this kit would help Sekret.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

hey guys, I have never used the ride cymbal on CrocellKit, only the bell.
Well in my latest project, I used the cymbal and it's quite noisy.
There is a hum. I would hit the ride bell and no hum.. I hit the ride cymbal and a hum can be heard. In fact it was very audible when soloing the kit.
Tested in Ardour, MixBus and MusE. All the same noise results.
muldjord
Established Member

Post by muldjord »

Hey, I just checked the ride cymbal channel of the CrocellKit in one of my compositions. I can't hear any hum except for the expected builtup of the cumbal resonating in the lower frequencies. If this is what you mean, you should just high-pass that or pinpoint eq it away.

If this is not what you are referring to, could you export an example of this hum and also what is the velocity of the the note you are using? And specifically what channel does the hum come from?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

muldjord wrote:Hey, I just checked the ride cymbal channel of the CrocellKit in one of my compositions. I can't hear any hum except for the expected builtup of the cumbal resonating in the lower frequencies. If this is what you mean, you should just high-pass that or pinpoint eq it away.

If this is not what you are referring to, could you export an example of this hum and also what is the velocity of the the note you are using? And specifically what channel does the hum come from?
velocity 110 max but varies!
on it's own it's ok but when used with the bell, the filter kills some frequencies. I'm gonna experiment a bit to see. It just really stuck out in the mix but I'm using a fade out now also so that eliminated the noise,
the hum is only on the ride channel.