Does Netjack2 connect ARM to x86

Requested forum for discussing ARM Hardware other than the PI/PI2

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Gilles
Established Member

Does Netjack2 connect ARM to x86

Post by Gilles »

Has anyone been able to use Netjack2 to connect an ARM device to an x86 or any other device with different CPU architecture? My goal is to be able to connect several ARM units (Odroid U3, RPi2, OrangePi) and my two Lenovo lap tops to my IBM P4 2.6GH server through a switch for multi-track recording. I got the laptops working at the moment but the Odroid u3 keeps giving me the Netjack error: “slave 'Odroid' is running with a different protocol 6 != 7” even if the versions show up the same with the -V option. I'm trying to find out if this is a hardware issue or a software issue. Any information or help in achieving this would be greatly appreciated.
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Re: Does Netjack2 connect ARM to x86

Post by Frank Carvalho »

I don't know, but as I have a RPi set up for music, I'll I can check if it will run netjack2 with my x64 DAW.
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
Gilles
Established Member

Post by Gilles »

Thank you Frank I really appreciate the help. I also have two Rpi2 and two Opi-PC I want to link to the server. Let me know how it turns out.
PS. I saw Selmer in your signature, do you play wind instruments?
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

No, guitar and bass! :mrgreen:

/Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
Gilles
Established Member

Post by Gilles »

Oops! :oops: my bad. Didn't read all the way before I posted but I looked it up after and that amp looks vintage.
Here is my Selmer tenor sax and my Akai EWI-USB :mrgreen: Looking forward to your test results with Netjack :wink:
Attachments
Tenor sax and EWI.gif
Tenor sax and EWI.gif (23.39 KiB) Viewed 10440 times
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

So far, I haven't had any luck. It's like the two ends of the line just don't see each other. I start the master and it checks OK. The I start the RPi slave, and it starts OK, and says waiting for master.

And that is all that happens.

However, I have noticed, that the slave seems to report that it listens on a strange port on a very strange IP-adress, that certainly does not work on my local network. And I can find no options on jackd to force a particular IP-adress and netmask. It is strange though, as I have no problems doing this from my master to my other 64bit slave machine. They reckognise each other immediately.

Does anyone know how to set a specific listen ip and host ip on the slave jackd?

And indeed the Selmer amp is from 1966. Same model used by Syd Barretts Pink Floyd.
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

OK, so it seems that there is indeed an issue with the protocol between ARM and x64. The ARM slave waits and waits for the x64 master, but when I shutdown the master, it proceeds to report a failed attempt to initialize a connection, followed by a floating point error message. So the master and slave actually connects, but seem unable to negotiate the connection.
That is a pity. I had hoped to be able to use netjack2 and an RPi for a remote audio unit, but with this issue that does not seem to be possible for the moment.

/Frank
Gilles
Established Member

Post by Gilles »

Frank, I loaded Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet on an Orange pi PC and I did the same on an other IBM PC I have, got jack from the repository on both and they seemed to connect although the Orange pi PC still has issues with Jack. The OpiPC shows up in the jack audio connections window of the net manager unit which gives me hope. :) I guess by loading the same OS version it loaded the same Jack version from the same repository and put it at the same place with the same paths. :? Now I need to figure out how to do this without having to upgrade to 15.04. I tried to build from github and it seems to work but I always end up with the same versions.
0xx0

Post by 0xx0 »

Hello Gilles,

just to confirm : yes it is possible. I have been running my rpi with netjack connected to ubuntu 14.04 and win xp. It works with netjack1 and netjack 2, i followed the guides in the excellent posts Frank made and the info on the jack page. In my case i got the best result after using the -S ( sync ) parameter.
Gilles
Established Member

Post by Gilles »

Hi 0xx0, thanks for the confirmation, it encouraged me to continue trying to get this going. After failing to get things working by installing the latest Jack2 version on GitHub (I guess I need a good tutorial because it should be possible but I never got it right) I decided to take another route. I installed Ubuntu Studio 14.04 on all my x86 machines and after a 14hr upgrade on the Odroid got it to connect with my server through Netjack. :D
So Frank don't despair, it is possible unless there is a problem between 32bit and 64bit which I can't confirm because all my units including the Odroid U3 are 32bit.
Again guys thanks for all the input.
Gilles
0xx0

Post by 0xx0 »

Glad to hear you got it working Gilles!

In my setup ubuntu-rpi-xp Netjack2 really works well ( better than i expected ), the time spent on trial and error was certainly worth it.. Out of curiosity: are you using wired, wireless or a mixed lan?

-0xx0
Gilles
Established Member

Post by Gilles »

I'm using a wired lan but I will be testing with wireless soon. By the way were are those "guides in the excellent posts Frank made" that you followed?
Gilles
Established Member

Post by Gilles »

Hi again 0xx0 and Frank, now that I have netjack working between the two machines I still have a problem. When I run Jack with the Alsa driver I see my keyboard in the Midi window and I can connect it to Yoshimi and then in the Audio window connect Yoshimi to Audio out. When I use the Net driver the midi connection for the keyboard disappears from the Midi window and there's no way to connect the keyboard to Yoshimi. If I use Yoshimi's virtual keyboard I hear it come out on the Master with practically no latency. I don't want to send midi over netjack just the audio. Any idea how I can connect my midi gear to the softsynths on the slave in order to send their audio output to the master over netjack?
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

A couple of thoughts that may (or may not) be relevant.

x86 is little-endian but ARM is big-endian. Protocols should take this into account of course!

For both Jack and Alsa Midi you can tell Yoshimi to look for a specific named device when it starts up. It reliably finds my dumb USB keyboard with "Hua Xing"
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Gilles
Established Member

Post by Gilles »

Hi folderol, nice to see you here. :wink:
Actually the Odroid U3 is Little Endian, so is my IBM machine, and they do communicate. I just can't understand why as soon as I use net driver mode (which I presume is netjack2) the midi connections go missing which means I can't connect my USB midi keyboards or even use a sequencer like Seq24 to drive the different softsynths. :cry:
There is probably a way I haven't figured out yet. I tried a2jmidid and the input and output ports show up in the midi window but still nothing in the alsa window to connect to it. I thought of telling Yoshimi to look for a specific named device when it starts up and use that for one of my keyboards and the EWI but that leaves my other applications like Qsynth useless without Seq24 to drive them. In resume I want to use the IBM with a good quality audio card as master to bypass the Odroid's sound card, run all the applications on the Odroid and send the audio results directly to the IBM master through netjack to be recorded in Ardour4. The audio side of it works because if I use the virtual keyboard I hear Yoshimi come through the IBM with no noticeable latency, probably because both machines are on the same Ethernet hub. Maybe I have to open a terminal and start jack with midi I/O parameters, but because I didn't want to send midi over the net and just use it locally on the Odroid I didn't think it mattered so I start everything with qjackctl where there isn't any midi I/O selection in the setup menu. SOOoooooo, :roll: If anyone can shed some light on this for me it would really help me complete my final setup.