Raspberry Pi USB midi host trouble shooting

Discussion of all things Raspberry Pi / Raspberry Pi 2 related

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mrangryrussian
Established Member

Raspberry Pi USB midi host trouble shooting

Post by mrangryrussian »

Hi all,

A while back I managed to hook up my midi keyboard to my groovebox, using a rasberry pi as a midi usb host. I only managed because of help from this forum. Thank you!

I am now trying to connect a drum pad controller--akai mpd218--to my groovebox (Roland Mc101). Though I haven't managed to get them to communicate with "aconnect"--although linux does recognise the pad controller as a device. The devices are tethered in aconnect, but hitting pads doesn't produce any sounds. I am not sure if its possible to change the midi channel on the drum pad.

What would be the trouble shooting steps for this? Is it possible to monitor directly the midi output from the device?

Quite lost here, hence would appreciate greatly any advice!

Thanks
mrangryrussian
Established Member

Re: Raspberry Pi USB midi host trouble shooting

Post by mrangryrussian »

I've set up a virtual midi port for troubleshooting and I am able to dump the mpd's midi messages into the console--a tleast its sending midi messages. However, routing the drumpad to the groovebox with aconnect doesn't work--I don't think its possible to change over which midi channel the messages are sent from the mpd. This latter point, is what allowed me to connect my midi keyboard to the groovebox, a while back.

Still hoping someone might be able to help--nearly there.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

You could try qmidiroute or another MIDI routing program.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

mrangryrussian
Established Member

Post by mrangryrussian »

I will try this.

In theory, would it possible to route the set up using QJackCtl, via the patchbay?