Casting Windows Audio to Multiple Pi using Jack

Discussion of all things Raspberry Pi / Raspberry Pi 2 related

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

dononeil

Casting Windows Audio to Multiple Pi using Jack

Post by dononeil »

Hi all... help!!

I've been trying to figure out a way to cast with low latency audio from a windows machine to multiple Raspberry Pi's (under the latest Raspian), in sync with each other at the same time.

Based on my research it looks like Jack2is the way to go, but I simply cannot figure out how to make it work on either side. I have it installed, but the Pi doesn't show up in the audio output options in the router in Windows... and everything I've found online seems to be tailored to an older version (i.e. dialog boxes are different, instructions to get it working, etc...)

Has anyone done this? Can anyone point me to a viable set of instructions?

Thanks!!!
tavasti
Established Member

Re: Casting Windows Audio to Multiple Pi using Jack

Post by tavasti »

I have problems understanding what you are trying to do.

- From where is audio coming, and where it is going?
- What is transport method, audio signal, USB, network, firewire, something else?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

dononeil

Re: Casting Windows Audio to Multiple Pi using Jack

Post by dononeil »

I'm just looking for a nice, straightforward guide on how to configure Jack as a network receiver on Pi, and Jack as a network sender on Windows.... so I can can broadcast from Windows to multiple Pi's over LAN/Wifi. I'm planning on using this for distributing audio to speakers from a live playback and mixing system, so latency is critical.

The audio should come from the Windows system playback (a virtual audio cable, or just capturing system audio is fine). It should transport over the LAN/Wifi to the Pi, and then playback through the Pi's built in audio jack/HDMI/HAT DAC.

There seem to be various solutions doing this with RTSP or Pulse, but none are low latency, they all have 2-3 seconds of delay. I've got it working fairly well with TuneBlade and Shairport-Sync, but the delay is still in the 1/2 second range. I've tried Max2Play, Volumio, etc... and they all have the same latency issues.

This is where Jack seems to be the be the best solution, since it's synchronous. The documentation for Jack is pretty horrible on their website, not very intuitive, and incomplete. I've seen various articles where others have done this, but I'm unable to recreate their success (most articles are many years old).