Raspberry Pi as midi host for MC101 (Roland)

Discussion of all things Raspberry Pi / Raspberry Pi 2 related

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mrangryrussian
Established Member

Raspberry Pi as midi host for MC101 (Roland)

Post by mrangryrussian »

Hi all,

My apologies if this is a duplicate thread, newbie/dumb question, completely missing the boat--this world of DIY computing, music hardware is completely new to me. Still learning what works, what brands are good and what to avoid. An expensive hobby at that--goddamit. Perhaps use this as an example of what not to do!

So I am attempting to route midi information, from my Arturia Microlab midi controller, through a raspberry pi 4b, through a usb midi interface cable into a Roland mc101 groovebox (midi in). I've tried, and come up short. So the issue, from what it seems, is that the mc101 doesn't understand the midi info conveyed by the audio interface cable--I am trying to circumvent plugging the mc 101 via the usb, though this doesn't get the devices talking either. I suspect that the drivers are not sufficient to facilitate this type of communication.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting? I am also unable to use the interface cable on my Arturia Microbrute synth. So perhaps its the interface cable. Though when I press a key on the midi controller, there is a current that passes through the interface cable, though I am unsure if this is just a current.

Basically, I am a novichok, who would really appreciate some help.

Cheers.
Baggypants
Established Member

Re: Raspberry Pi as midi host for MC101 (Roland)

Post by Baggypants »

If you're just intending to use the pi as a dedicated router it might be worth looking at ZynthianOS as it's set up to run on the pi and is capable of routing things around. You don't need the full Zynthian kit, a pi, a screen and a mouse will be enough

https://wiki.zynthian.org/index.php/Zynthian_Software

https://wiki.zynthian.org/index.php/Zyn ... sers_Guide
mrangryrussian
Established Member

Post by mrangryrussian »

Okie dokie--I'll give Zynthian a try, hopefully it works. It has been a headache to get to this point.
Baggypants
Established Member

Post by Baggypants »

You also haven't mentioned what software you've been using to try and link the midi signals of the two together. QJackCtl? Pachage?
mrangryrussian
Established Member

Post by mrangryrussian »

So the way I have been going about doing this is via the terminal, using the command aconnect. Would you recommend Jack?
mrangryrussian
Established Member

Post by mrangryrussian »

Update: still haven't managed to get the groovebox talking to the midi controller.

After installing QJackCtl I tried using it to route the midi signals, however in the midi section there are no midi choices for any of my devices.
The ALSA option does show that all devices are picked up by the drivers, however. I tried running some code to assign a midi connection to all devices via default, and have tried to use alternative Jack drivers--from another thread on this wonderful forum--but I struggled with this method.

Here, I admit that my coding is poor, and I've tried looking for a workaround. Basically, I launch QJackCtl through the terminal but then my ability to run commands as the main user disappears, hence I can't code for different drivers or to arm all devices with a midi option via default. Maybe I can do this before hand.

I don't know, I will keep digging around on forums I guess--still a newbie.
Baggypants
Established Member

Post by Baggypants »

run

Code: Select all

qjackctl &
to detach the command from the shell and run it in the background.
mrangryrussian
Established Member

Post by mrangryrussian »

Thanks Baggypants,

So I did that, having followed a comprehensive guide online--I am executing "a2jmidid -e" on start up to force the midi bridge.
Jack doesn't recognise the midi devices via name--"midi_apture_device_X". When I randomly route midi info across the devices, I can get the audio interface cable (connected into the groovebox) to light up, I assume its sending midi info. But the groovebox doesn't read this. I have also noticed that the Rx setting for receiving midi info on the groovebox are a quite scant--not sure if this is because its supposed to be plug and play.

I am starting to think that the MC101 is just a turd. I don't know. Want to give up really.
Baggypants
Established Member

Post by Baggypants »

Have you updated the MC101 to firmware v1.60 or above? It's not class compliant on earlier firmware versions which may explain the MIDI issues under linux.

https://www.roland.com/global/products/ ... downloads/
mrangryrussian
Established Member

Post by mrangryrussian »

Indeed, I have got firmware update 1.60--I have tried using both the generic and the vendor USB drivers.
mrangryrussian
Established Member

Post by mrangryrussian »

So it ended up OK--I am hooking up the entire system through plain USB, not the midi interface cable. Didn't manage to get it to work that way. Woop Woop. Thank you everyone!!