Rakarrack on Raspberry Pi?

Discussion of all things Raspberry Pi / Raspberry Pi 2 related

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Michael Willis
Established Member

Rakarrack on Raspberry Pi?

Post by Michael Willis »

Has anybody tried running Rakarrach on a Raspberry Pi? I have a Raspberry Pi 3 B that I bought a couple of years ago for a pet project. I used it for about a month and then I haven't really done much with it since. I'm thinking about wiring up an audio interface and trying to run Rakarrack, to use it as a sort of mobile guitar effects device.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Rakarrack on Raspberry Pi?

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

I've got a R. Pi 1 model B+. Tried to attach my USB audio device to it. It's the Behringer 404 (class compliant). Went well of course: I use it w/ my desktop and laptop too. However, as soon as I start Jack and try to do something with it (DAW or something) I loose connection w/ the audio device. I'm convinced that this is a power issue. Because cheap little USB "audio devices" that are as small as a USB memory stick do work w/ Jack and the Pi (link Aliexpress). A better power adapter for the Pi might work but I think I've already got a reasonable power adapter. Also, the Behringer 404 audio device has got it's own power inlet & adapter and if I use that still no luck w/ Jack and the Pi...

So I wouldn't buy an audio device especially for the Pi if I were you. But if you've got one lying around it's pretty straight forward for us Linuxers to install Raspbian on a Pi and install Rakarrack on it.

Let us know it it worked. Good luck! :)
Last edited by Linuxmusician01 on Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

If power is a problem, it seems like it could be solved with a powered USB hub, or an interface that has its own power supply.

I will report how it goes after I try.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Michael Willis wrote:If power is a problem, it seems like it could be solved with a powered USB hub, or an interface that has its own power supply.

I will report how it goes after I try.
My interface (Behringer 404) has its own power supply but loses connection w/ my Pi nonetheless...
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: My interface (Behringer 404) has its own power supply but loses connection w/ my Pi nonetheless...
Really? I'm surprised to hear that, I wonder what the problem is? Whatever the case, I'll report results with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4.
thumbknuckle
Established Member

Post by thumbknuckle »

Michael Willis wrote:
Linuxmusician01 wrote: My interface (Behringer 404) has its own power supply but loses connection w/ my Pi nonetheless...
Really? I'm surprised to hear that, I wonder what the problem is? Whatever the case, I'll report results with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4.
I use a Behringer XR18 with my Raspberry Pi 3 without issue. I'm using it to run Pure Data headless with a control surface (Behringer BCF2000), keyboard (M Audio Keystation), and XBox controller.

I am using a 3 amp power supply.

I start jackd with: /usr/local/bin/jackd -dalsa -r44100 -p64 -n3 -Xseq -D -Chw:X18XR18,0 -Phw:X18XR18,0

It is my understanding that you always want to be using 3 periods with USB devices.
Faster than a laser bullet.
Louder than an atom bomb.