Pi Zero W vs Pi 3 B for bluetooth audio reciever/dnla renderer + crossover filtering

Discussion of all things Raspberry Pi / Raspberry Pi 2 related

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ssj71
Established Member

Pi Zero W vs Pi 3 B for bluetooth audio reciever/dnla renderer + crossover filtering

Post by ssj71 »

Hi all, I'm just trying to field some opinions about which device is the one for this project. I plan to use a usb soundcard and the pi as a dnla renderer, bluetooth audio client, and maybe remote wifi spotify player. I will probably have bruteFIR going (long IR convolution) to be a crossover on the stereo signal, prepping it for bi-amped speakers. Its just playback so even a few seconds latency isn't a big deal (but I don't know a ton about bruteFIR yet).

I'm just a little concerned that the Zero won't have the guts with a single core to do the filtering AND the streaming stuff. But I think the full pi 3 is a bit overkill too. What do you guys think?

(I was originally going to use Next Thing Co's CHIP but it seems they aren't available and the company isn't telling why. I'd just buy both PIs but I know one will sit around for a long time... and I'll have to answer to my wife why I bought 2 when I said 1 :shock: :) ).
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

Re: Pi Zero W vs Pi 3 B for bluetooth audio reciever/dnla renderer + crossover filtering

Post by mike@overtonedsp »

But I think the full pi 3 is a bit overkill too
Just go for the Pi3 - they cost practically nothing when you consider the computing power you are getting. I currently have several of them running Rune Audio for various audio / media duties.
GMaq
Established Member

Re: Pi Zero W vs Pi 3 B for bluetooth audio reciever/dnla renderer + crossover filtering

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Can't answer your question directly but when the Pi 3b is well under $50 USD wouldn't you just buy the more advanced and powerful one anyway? You certainly won't regret having more CPU power and if you ever choose to re-purpose it then it's not some e-waste relic that isn't powerful enough to use for anything meaningful.

It's your money and I know from your other posts you can do some some pretty cool stuff on the cheap but you can tell your wife that I gave you permission to buy the better model this time... :wink: :lol: