Pi as MIDI message converter for a live rig?

Discussion of all things Raspberry Pi / Raspberry Pi 2 related

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nycumMusic69420

Pi as MIDI message converter for a live rig?

Post by nycumMusic69420 »

Hi! I have a MIDI footswitch capable of sending program change, cc, and note messages. I'd really like to use it to control a parameter on my drum machine, but the parameter responds to system exclusive messages, which my footswitch can't send. Anyone know if I could use something like QMidiRoute on a Pi to map the messages coming from my footswitch to sysex messages, and forward the sysex messages to my drum machine? Thanks!!
Transit_of_Io
Established Member

Re: Pi as MIDI message converter for a live rig?

Post by Transit_of_Io »

nycumMusic69420 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:38 am Hi! I have a MIDI footswitch capable of sending program change, cc, and note messages. I'd really like to use it to control a parameter on my drum machine, but the parameter responds to system exclusive messages, which my footswitch can't send. Anyone know if I could use something like QMidiRoute on a Pi to map the messages coming from my footswitch to sysex messages, and forward the sysex messages to my drum machine? Thanks!!
Pure Data can output sysex, allegedly. (I use it for other kinds of midi routing/conversion from a pedal, but haven't done sysex stuff myself). Just connect the pedal's midi output to one of pd's inputs, use the [notein] or [ctlin] or [pgmin] object to receive the message, and use it to trigger the output.

If you have a plugin host or use JALV, there's an LV2 plugin called Midi Event Generator that can be triggered with midi input and send sysex messages.