external dac and use 5.1 sound card with an ubuntu PC

Bring your custom casings, arduinos, raspberry pi's, axoloti's and other creative hardware projects

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Denis974

external dac and use 5.1 sound card with an ubuntu PC

Post by Denis974 »

Hello, I use an Ubuntu as a multimedia interface, and I buy an external dac of good cality to optimize the cality of the sound. I would like to keep my 5.1 sound card which allows me to broadcast and equalize my favorite music in my house.
Can someone tell me if with Jackaudio or other it is possible to decode the sound with the dac before it goes into the sound card ...
I wondered if by plugging the dac on the original sound card and reconnecting it on the external input of my old X-Fi I could take advantage of all the advantages it gives me.
I hope you will understand my translated English ...
I am French and I live on an island in the Indian Ocean "Reunion Island"
thank you
thumbknuckle
Established Member

Re: external dac and use 5.1 sound card with an ubuntu PC

Post by thumbknuckle »

It is not 100% clear what you are trying to do, but I am pretty sure the answer is no.

The 5.1 sound card is also a DAC, one with 6 analog outputs.

If your external DAC sounds better and you only need 2 channels of output you can use that. If you need all 5+1 channels from the internal card you can use that. There is no way to combine the two in a way that will give you the better sound of the external card with all 6 channels of output from the 5.1 card.

Do you know about this band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbSopDjYsZA

From Reunion!
Faster than a laser bullet.
Louder than an atom bomb.