Advice with custom compact pc build

Bring your custom casings, arduinos, raspberry pi's, axoloti's and other creative hardware projects

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

S1gmoid
Established Member

Advice with custom compact pc build

Postby S1gmoid » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:16 pm

Hey :)

I'm considering putting together a compact touchscreen musical workstation to complement my music corner. The dream is to have a form factor like the Zynthian only bigger, running Ubuntu Studio, with a Ryzen or i7 cpu, a proper SSD, and a Thunderbolt 3 port or two..

I'm thinking mini-ITX or micro-ATX at worst, and an eDP touchscreen. I have cut my teeth at making cases out of lasercut plywood and 3d printed stuff, but there are a few things I'm still unsure of...

First, getting a good ITX board with an eDP port or some other internal screen connector. The second, getting a good internal soundcard, or a sound module I can integrate into the case, that works on Linux. (Also people are saying that internal sound cards are noisy. I wonder if that still holds up.)

TygerTung
Established Member

Re: Advice with custom compact pc build

Postby TygerTung » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:03 am

Well, I have heard people say that internal sound cards are noisy, but I don't know how true that is. I've used a few, and while the monitoring situation is a bit of a pain, most are fairly quiet. I did have one on an old laptop which had terrible crosstalk between the input and the output channels, all others have been fine.

Return to “DIY projects”