Is anybody here using Koala?

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Primeval_Mudd
Established Member

Is anybody here using Koala?

Post by Primeval_Mudd »

Hi,

I bought the Koala sampler app for Android a few days back on a whim (it's among the least expensive whim-based music gear/software purchases I've made) and am extremely impressed!

I'm using a TRSS 3.5mm jack to RCA/phono cable (I think it came with a video camera many years ago) to get mono audio in and stereo audio out via Reaper but haven't had time to properly play with it yet.

Is anybody else here using it?

https://www.koalasampler.com/

Dave Plummer/Primeval Mudd*

Ubuntu Studio | Reaper (Linux native)

Facebook | YouTube

• Should you be wondering, Primeval Mudd is an anagram of David Plummer.
Natelok
Established Member

Re: Is anybody here using Koala?

Post by Natelok »

I'm not using it YET, but it's definitely on my want list. Freebeats YouTube channel did a video on it a few days ago and it looks very cool, and useful too. Just gotta dig out some minijack cables....

I particularly want to play with the performance section. I think I'll probably pick it up next pay cycle, cos my account is a bit low at the moment.

I've used Caustic for years as a kind of scratchpad, but I've never used the audio from it, just exported midi files of riffs and beats that I've come up with sitting at work or whatever. But I can see koala making my phone a part of my recording and live rigs.
Nate!

Music Nerd, Guitarist, Fixer of Things, DJ, currently employed by Donnybrook Balingup Community Radio (Station Manager & Drive Time DJ, Recording Engineer for a small attached studio for local artists)

DAW: Mixbus at home, Mixbus32C at work
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Not using koala, but reminds me, I used ufxloops on early days of my musical journey. At that time I had plenty of time spent on driving kids from and to hobbies, and used that app when waiting them to get out. That app was not really my thing, Caustic was much more. And now I don't have to spend time anywhere with only phone with me, so not using even Caustic anymore. Last time I used it was holiday trip to Tenerife, where I did not have anything more computer than android tablet.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Natelok
Established Member

Post by Natelok »

Well, I bought it and I love it already. I managed to put together a 3 minute, glitchy, Aphex Twin kind of tune that is probably 80% complete in the first 5 minutes I had it. It needs some clean up, maybe chopping up sections and reordering them, because I didn't have a goal in mind, I just made 4 quick samples (a burp, finger snap, cigarette lighter flick and pinging a glass full of soda) and then made 3 basic pattern, then I hit record and pushed buttons at random. But it sounds amazing, I got some really cool stuff out of it.

I think I'm going to get a lot of use out of this little app. I ended up paying about 15 bucks total with the timestretch add-on. It's very easy to use, very intuitive and has a really nice range of effects and performance tools, but mostly I think it's going to be my main scratchpad going forward. I'm actually considering removing caustic entirely, although I think making melodic samples in caustic and exporting them for use in koala is probably going to be a thing. We'll see over the next few weeks I guess. I'll definitely be using this a lot.
Nate!

Music Nerd, Guitarist, Fixer of Things, DJ, currently employed by Donnybrook Balingup Community Radio (Station Manager & Drive Time DJ, Recording Engineer for a small attached studio for local artists)

DAW: Mixbus at home, Mixbus32C at work