Using sample cds

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

CraigPid
Established Member

Using sample cds

Post by CraigPid »

I was browsing on archive.org and noticed the mountains of sample cds available. I downloaded a couple and am wondering about workflows for using them. I have not delved very deeply in this aspect of music production.
For using loops the scenarios that I'm aware of are, loading loops in Fabla and triggering them with a keyboard, playing then in Seq-64 or possibly just arranging them on the Ardour timeline.
As for wav samples of instrument, I'm not so sure. I could load a sample in SampleV1, but only one sample, not the entire range of the instrument. The other possiblity I thought of would be to create an sf2 from the multiple samples of each instrument and play them in LinuxSampler. I don't suppose that there is a plugin that I could just drag 12 violin samples into without having to create an sf2 or sfz?
TAERSH
Established Member

Re: Using sample cds

Post by TAERSH »

I would not recommend to use any samples from so-called Sample-CDs.

In 2008 I bought a version of Sony Soundforge Audio Studio 9. It came with some samples that could be used in Songs for commercial use - at least that's what the documents on the CD said. I created a sound from some of that samples. In fact it was Wind/Storm, Rain and Thunders. In my Song The Seventh Wise Man I used the Wind sample in the beginning of the song and a combination of Wind/Storm, Rain and Thunders at the end of the song.

The very next day after I uploaded this song to YouTube I got a copyright claim. The part of the copyright infringement of the song was exactly this combination of Wind/Storm, Rain and Thunders. I made a protest about this copyright claim and a few days later that copyright claim was gone. The song remained for appr. 3 years without any trouble. Then, appr. 3 years later I got again a copyright claim on that song. And the part of the new copyright infringement of the song was exactly the same part as it was 3 years before that.

Again I made a protest about this copyright infringement, but this time nothing happened for some weeks. In addition they made my song age restricted. Since there was nothing within that song being justifiable for age restriction and they didn't remove the copyright claim I deleted my YouTube account.

Nowadays either I don't use samples anymore, or just using samples being in the public domain or being created by myself.

I fear the day when there will be copyright claims for the use of C Minor 7 or some standard melodic scales. It will be YouTube/Google and all that crap companies who will give the death blow to music created by independent musicians. Hopefully I will passed away already that day!
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

I was mostly planning on just playing with them but I wonder why someone would release samples and not allow them to be used. What is next? Plug in developers claiming copyright? I would imagine that editing the samples might make them undetectable on YouTube. I got a copyright strike recently on YouTube for playing Hideaway to a backing track. Something similar happened on Soundcloud a few years ago. I moved the pitch of the track down by about 10 cents and re-uploaded.
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

CraigPid wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:18 pm I wonder why someone would release samples and not allow them to be used.
This isn't always the case. What can happen is another musician will use the samples in their tune and add their tune to YouTube's content ID system. This then flags up the sample in other people's content and triggers a copyright claim. I had the same thing happen with some stock footage I was using in a video.

One solution is don't post your videos on YouTube ;)
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

TAERSH wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:39 pm In 2008 I bought a version of Sony Soundforge Audio Studio 9. It came with some samples that could be used in Songs for commercial use - at least that's what the documents on the CD said. I created a sound from some of that samples. In fact it was Wind/Storm, Rain and Thunders. In my Song The Seventh Wise Man I used the Wind sample in the beginning of the song and a combination of Wind/Storm, Rain and Thunders at the end of the song.

The very next day after I uploaded this song to YouTube I got a copyright claim. The part of the copyright infringement of the song was exactly this combination of Wind/Storm, Rain and Thunders.
Don't know what it is real, but guessing: someone had made song starting and ending with same sample. When you used same sample without midification, then content-id matched that part to be that song. So it is nothing done by sample cd publisher.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

As far as dumping in 12 violin samples.... have you tried Linux Sampler? Or Petri-Foo? Or Cumulus? Or maybe Borderlands?
Just some thoughts..

Brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com