Yoshimi/ZynAddSubFx problem on synchronizing

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

TAERSH
Established Member

Yoshimi/ZynAddSubFx problem on synchronizing

Post by TAERSH »

Hi.

Yoshimi and/or ZynAddSubFx do have some great sounds like Sequence2 VDX plus some others similar to this sound.

Though, I often have problems to synchronize such sounds to the tempo used in e.g. Qtractor and revert.
E.g. 118,7 is too slow, 118,8 is too fast for the played sequence of such sounds. Qtractor doesn' t allow e.g. 118,72 etc. for a tempo to get close to the sequence.

Is it possible to synchronize such sequenced sounds to the tempo used in a Sequencer like Qtractor?
If yes, how do I do this?

Otherwise: where/how would I edit such sounds to modify the tempo of the sequence inside Yoshimi/ZynAddSubFx directly?

Any help much appreciated!
folderol
Established Member

Re: Yoshimi/ZynAddSubFx problem on synchronizing

Post by folderol »

Where did you get that patch from? I've not heard of it. It's difficult to suggest anything without looking at it :D
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

I simply don't know where I got this from. Over the years I collected everything that comes in my way and as long as it is working I'm adding those sounds to the banks shipped with the synths. Meanwhile I have 3608 Sounds in 85 Banks for ZynAddSubFx and Yoshimi and am using those banks/sounds in both synthesizers - which is 16MB uncompressed. Of course there might be some doubles.

Shall I sent you some of these sequenced sounds packaged into a .tar.gz archive or even all the banks/sounds?
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Just a couple of the ones you're particularly interested in please.

A word of caution for anyone using both synths. If you save an instrument in Zyn 3.x it might not play properly in either older versions of Zyn, or in Yoshi. They've changed the format of some of the data in a way that is not backward compatible, but retained the same extension.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

I've sent two of them in a .tar.gz archive.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Interesting issue!

The first of these (Sequence1) relies on a fliter LFO for the effect. The frequency is set with a floating point type control but the physical response of the mouse is nowhere near that. There are two ways you can improve the situation.
The first is to MIDI-learn this control to an NRPN. This will give you 14bit resolution.
Currently there is only one way to get full floating point resolution. That is to go manually via the command line interface.

The second patch (Sequence2 VDX) is considerably more complex. It still relies on filter LFOs... five of them :shock:
You might be able to use NRPNS to control these, but it would be a pain to set them all up maintaining the ratios. However there may be a sequencer out there that can send the NRPNS after first making range/ratio calculations.

Alternatively, for fixed settings you could again go through the CLI for full resolution.

MIDI sync is something that has been discussed a few times. It's not easy, and would require some quite significant changes to Yoshimi's code, but it is being investigated.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

folderol wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:52 am If you save an instrument in Zyn 3.x it might not play properly in either older versions of Zyn, or in Yoshi.
Hehe, that's why I renamed the banks from ZynAddSubFx 3.xx. Added a prefix to the directory names: ZynFusion.
lazyklimm
Established Member

Post by lazyklimm »

This is a "Sampler & samples" forum
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Indeed it is. I hadn't noticed and was just answering questions. Maybe a mod could move it somewhere more appropriate.
@ TAERSH: When it's ready :lol:
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

I opened this topic in Samplers & Samples categoriy, as I could not find a Synthesizer/Software Synthesizer category on the forum.
lazyklimm
Established Member

Post by lazyklimm »

TAERSH wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:00 pm I opened this topic in Samplers & Samples categoriy, as I could not find a Synthesizer/Software Synthesizer category on the forum.
viewforum.php?f=48 not a big deal, though