[SOLVED] Fabla-1/2 ignore MIDI pad release?

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Flan_TheDude
Established Member

[SOLVED] Fabla-1/2 ignore MIDI pad release?

Post by Flan_TheDude »

Greetings, everyone.

I am trying to solve a small problem I'm having with Fabla, the OpenAV drum sampler, and I am convinced that it is merely user error (I hope).

I have the Akai MPD218 USB MIDI pad controller, which works with the exception that when releasing a pad, Fabla will stop playing the sample. In Fabla 1 from the KXStudio repos, this results in clicks and pops (as well as incomplete sound). In Fabla 2, there are no clips/pops but it still cuts off the sample early. To play an entire sample, the pad needs to be held which runs the undesirably high risk of multiple triggering. The Hydrogen Drum Machine can ignore the pad MIDI note off event, but I would prefer to use Fabla for live input if I can.

I have tried using Fabla as an instrument in Carla, and as a plugin in Ardour, but I have thus been unable to figure this out.

Can anyone help shine a light on what I'm not seeing?

Thanks in advance,
Flan.
Last edited by Flan_TheDude on Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hardware synth explorer and Linux obsessive. Using Ardour, Dragonfly Reverb, Linux Studio Plugins, airwindows and Calf Studio Gear plugins, Roland Rubix 44 USB interface and Lenovo ThinkPads.
LAM
Established Member

Re: Fabla-1/2 ignore MIDI pad release?

Post by LAM »

I made some tests with Fabla (1) and I hear clicks too when note is released, especially if it's done very fast and with low frequencies samples, like a bassdrum.
I tried also playing with different settings of sustain/release but unfortunately the clicks are still there.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

One solution is delaying note-offs with a midifilter like MIDI Sostenuto. It works with Fabla 1. 8)
If it doesn't works you can try Sitala or Drumkv1.

Flan_TheDude
Established Member

Post by Flan_TheDude »

LAM wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:45 pm One solution is delaying note-offs with a midifilter like MIDI Sostenuto. It works with Fabla 1. 8)
Ahh, thank you! I will investigate these.

Compiling Fabla 2 resolves the clicking/popping but it has other problems including stability (and obeys MIDI note off events).

I have seen Sitala before but for better or worse, I only wish to use FOSS solutions.

Thanks again, I will report my experiences 8)
Hardware synth explorer and Linux obsessive. Using Ardour, Dragonfly Reverb, Linux Studio Plugins, airwindows and Calf Studio Gear plugins, Roland Rubix 44 USB interface and Lenovo ThinkPads.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

The "MIDI Sostenuto" filter should work for every plugin, you can configure N seconds of delay for note-off.
If you play drum samples 4-5 seconds should be more than enough, but MIDI Sostenuto can go much further if you need, and you can also retrigger notes before note-off.

sjaehn
Established Member

Post by sjaehn »

I have my eyes for a while on Fabla. I looks like it's not maintained anymore. It would be a pity.
Flan_TheDude
Established Member

Post by Flan_TheDude »

RESULTS :)
LAM wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:45 pm One solution is delaying note-offs with a midifilter like MIDI Sostenuto. It works with Fabla 1. 8)
LAM, your suggestion of using the MIDI filter was an interesting one and one I will bear in mind for the future however for now I will relegate it to the realms of my fickle memory. BUT... Drumkv1 is excellent! I found it a little confusing at first and perhaps more expansive than I was originally looking for, but I am rapidly warming to it and am more-or-less completely decided on using it from now onwards. Thank you for your suggestions, much appreciated :D

Interestingly, I did discover how to solve the problem in Fabla 2.0 (and just by accident). When a sample is selected, in the section labelled "Mt-Of-Trg-Swt"(?) the third box can be turned to "1" and this will sustain the sample playback to its completion. Fabla 1 does not seem to support this at all as far as I've found ... and as such is a candidate for use with the MIDI Sostenuto filter.
sjaehn wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:50 am I have my eyes for a while on Fabla. I looks like it's not maintained anymore. It would be a pity.
It is unfortunate, but with last development on Fabla 2.0 being 3 to 6 years ago, it's probably safe to assume it's a dead project. A shame really as I like it (although I think I prefer Fabla 1 for it's simplicity) except the fonts are so difficult to read.

So Drumkv1 it is, for me.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

@Flan_TheDude glad you found what you were looking for. :D
@rncbc , the developer of Drumkv1, is doing an excellent job (just think about all the Q stuff he is releasing).
Flan_TheDude wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:21 am When a sample is selected, in the section labelled "Mt-Of-Trg-Swt"(?) the third box can be turned to "1" and this will sustain the sample playback to its completion
Good to know, i missed that option. :wink:

uns4ph3
Established Member

Re: [SOLVED] Fabla-1/2 ignore MIDI pad release?

Post by uns4ph3 »

I recently spoke to the dev of Fabla, Harry because I am interested in forking his project to create something a little more different and customizable than Fabla - he's still around, but so busy he can't continue development of the project. I'd move to DrumKV1, LSP Multisampler or just using Hydrogen.
Search for Fusterclucker on your favorite streaming platforms to hear my awful music, and go visit my blog for my inane rants.
sjaehn
Established Member

Re: [SOLVED] Fabla-1/2 ignore MIDI pad release?

Post by sjaehn »

I also thought about a fork to continue Fabla. I've some bugfixes but it wouldn't make sense for a pull request at openAVproductions if HvH doesn't have any time to merge it. But anyway ...