Tool to convert drum kits from Hydrogen to DrumGizmo

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

peter.zenk
Established Member

Tool to convert drum kits from Hydrogen to DrumGizmo

Post by peter.zenk »

Here is an desperate attempt to create a little tool that takes a virtual drumkit and converts it from one format to another one.

The first version imports an Hydrogen drumit DB (*.h2drumkit, there are > 100 available on the internet) and spits out a crude database usable for DrumGizmo. Yes, DrumGizmo has multi-channel outputs so you can treat snare, kick, toms etc differently in the mixdown, which I think is very useful. You cannot do that with sound fonts, can you? That's why I wrote that tool.

I have tried it on more than 100 Hydrogen kits, but only checked a few of them inside DrumGizmo

Nothings for free, you need to create a map file to map instruments to output channels, but a template can be created by the tool, you just need to edit it.

Please check out: https://github.com/peter-zenk/genDrumkit
Save the planet - make music !
lazyklimm
Established Member

Re: Tool to convert drum kits from Hydrogen to DrumGizmo

Post by lazyklimm »

>You cannot do that with sound fonts, can you?

you can, midi track->midi splitter plugins (one per instrument)->multiple soundfont players
peter.zenk
Established Member

Post by peter.zenk »

Oh yeah, each track handles exactly one Midi note = one instrument, one sample player, and then I could mix all snare flavours into one bus, all high hats. etc...

So the effort here is in creating the setup, which probably could be scripted.

But then, how to handle instrument groups like HiHats, that abort playing an already executing sample from the same group. e.g. stopping the open HH with the event of a closed HH ?
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

lazyklimm wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:39 am >You cannot do that with sound fonts, can you?

you can, midi track->midi splitter plugins (one per instrument)->multiple soundfont players
Which programs allows this kind of MIDI splitting?

@peter.zenk I think it's a very good program to have! Thank you!

Are you going to adopt a more pythonic install system (i.e. setup.py) in the future?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
peter.zenk
Established Member

Post by peter.zenk »

Basslint wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:34 pm Are you going to adopt a more pythonic install system (i.e. setup.py) in the future?
Although I have experience in other areas, I'm pretty new in Python3 programming*) and releasing. This also is the first time I use github for a private project, means, yes, I'm learning a lot , so if you could send me some pointers about what exactly needs to be done, I could look into that.

Thanks

*) well, I did some stuff with Python2 quite a while ago ...
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

peter.zenk wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:36 pm
Basslint wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:34 pm Are you going to adopt a more pythonic install system (i.e. setup.py) in the future?
Although I have experience in other areas, I'm pretty new in Python3 programming*) and releasing. This also is the first time I use github for a private project, means, yes, I'm learning a lot , so if you could send me some pointers about what exactly needs to be done, I could look into that.

Thanks

*) well, I did some stuff with Python2 quite a while ago ...
Sure!

Basically, you write a file called setup.py in the top directory which has a setup function inside of it which tells the Python package manager (pip) some information (like name, description, license) as well as which files to install. In your case, you would need to pass the "scripts" keyword to the setup function for the executable and to pass the "packages" keyword to the setup function for the GDK directory.

Although there can be a problem with the fact that you called your module "GDK" because it's the name of the popular GNOME library as well. You should probably rename the directories in a more Pythonic way - the convention is lowercase full-length words separated by an underscore (like gen_drumkit).

Here you can find the official docs for setup.py. If you have any trouble, just send me a PM!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
peter.zenk
Established Member

Post by peter.zenk »

Basslint wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:41 am [

Here you can find the official docs for setup.py. If you have any trouble, just send me a PM!
Thanks a lot !

Will look into this within the next couple of days. (No time at the moment :D )
lazyklimm
Established Member

Post by lazyklimm »

Basslint wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:34 pm
lazyklimm wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:39 am >You cannot do that with sound fonts, can you?

Which programs allows this kind of MIDI splitting?
Any that supports (at least) LV2 plugins, then https://x42-plugins.com/x42/x42-midifilter is a way to go