A free native B3

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Shupacabras
Established Member

Re: A free native B3

Post by Shupacabras »

In my case KDE Neon 10.04 with repos kxstudio Ardor has no problems with the plugin.
Only excess consumption of resources
tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

The main thing is most HISE developers aren't GNU/Linux users and seem to not be interested in supporting the platform. Please let Sampleson know that there is a market for his plugins on GNU/Linux.
I've e-mailed saying that I am interested in buying Linux versions of a couple of their instruments.
Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

tseaver wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:45 pm I've e-mailed saying that I am interested in buying Linux versions of a couple of their instruments.
Me too. These are some great sounding keys.
listenable at c6a7.org
Bella
Established Member

Post by Bella »

d.healey wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:34 am That's a shame. What CPU are you using?

Could you run this command and let me know what versions of sse your system supports? - cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep sse
Here's the older system's output:

Code: Select all

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep sse
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good nopl cpuid extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy 3dnowprefetch vmmcall lbrv
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good nopl cpuid extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy 3dnowprefetch vmmcall lbrv
And without the grep sse, in case that's helpful:

Code: Select all

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
cpu family	: 15
model		: 107
model name	: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
stepping	: 2
microcode	: 0x83
cpu MHz		: 2600.000
cache size	: 512 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 2
core id		: 0
cpu cores	: 2
apicid		: 0
initial apicid	: 0
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 1
wp		: yes
bugs		: fxsave_leak sysret_ss_attrs null_seg swapgs_fence amd_e400 spectre_v1 spectre_v2
bogomips	: 5200.13
TLB size	: 1024 4K pages
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps

processor	: 1
vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
cpu family	: 15
model		: 107
model name	: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
stepping	: 2
microcode	: 0x83
cpu MHz		: 2600.000
cache size	: 512 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 2
core id		: 1
cpu cores	: 2
apicid		: 1
initial apicid	: 1
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 1
wp		: yes
bugs		: fxsave_leak sysret_ss_attrs null_seg swapgs_fence amd_e400 spectre_v1 spectre_v2
bogomips	: 5200.12
TLB size	: 1024 4K pages
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps
The system is about 10 years old, so I'm not terribly surprised when things don't run as intended. It's basically just a test platform for new distros and whatever.

Cheers!
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

It seems your system supports sse and sse2 so I'm not sure why the plugin didn't work. Maybe I made a mistake when I recompiled it, I'll double check later today.
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

I finally got around to installing this, works great in Ardour 6! Thanks for making the plugin installable without the standalone.. :D I'm not a keyboard player really but we have an actual Hammond L-100 (same tonewheel guts as a B3 in a smaller console) and a Leslie in our studio so I know what the real thing sounds like. None of the B3 emulating plugins I have (VB3 Windows VST. SetBFree, and now CollaB3) sound like the real thing convincingly enough to replace it but all of them have some great strengths and certainly can convey that great Hammond sound in recordings . CollaB3 seems to have a nice clear tone independent of the drawbar settings that sits in a mix nicely and I'm kind of glad it doesn't have built-in overdrive, it's Leslie emulation isn't as accurate as SetBFree but again it has a quality that seems to give a good aural approximation.

For years on Windows we had some pretty slim to bad pickings for 'free' VST Plugins doing Hammond even marginally well, VB3 and Native Instruments were both prohibitively expensive VST Plugins and now we have 2 top shelf great choices in Linuxdom that are free!! That's pretty happy news!

Thanks @d.healey and fellow developers!!

I had a recording open I was re-Mastering and it had a B3 MIDI track so I dropped in CollabB3 and I've linked an exported mix in case anybody wants to hear it in a mix as a background support instrument (which Hammonds shine at like no other). As I've said I'm no keyboard player especially as a soloist so this tune is not indicative of CollaB3 in the skilled hands of somebody like Jimmy Smith, Barbara Dennerlein or Joey DeFrancesco..

http://bandshed.net/music/OTHER_MIXES/C ... ollaB3.mp3
Baggypants
Established Member

Post by Baggypants »

It might interest you to know SetBfree’s Leslie is available as a separate plugin.
Electron13

Post by Electron13 »

GMaq wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:55 am Hi,

I finally got around to installing this, works great in Ardour 6! Thanks for making the plugin installable without the standalone.. :D I'm not a keyboard player really but we have an actual Hammond L-100 (same tonewheel guts as a B3 in a smaller console) and a Leslie in our studio so I know what the real thing sounds like. None of the B3 emulating plugins I have (VB3 Windows VST. SetBFree, and now CollaB3) sound like the real thing convincingly enough to replace it but all of them have some great strengths and certainly can convey that great Hammond sound in recordings . CollaB3 seems to have a nice clear tone independent of the drawbar settings that sits in a mix nicely and I'm kind of glad it doesn't have built-in overdrive, it's Leslie emulation isn't as accurate as SetBFree but again it has a quality that seems to give a good aural approximation.

For years on Windows we had some pretty slim to bad pickings for 'free' VST Plugins doing Hammond even marginally well, VB3 and Native Instruments were both prohibitively expensive VST Plugins and now we have 2 top shelf great choices in Linuxdom that are free!! That's pretty happy news!

Thanks @d.healey and fellow developers!!

I had a recording open I was re-Mastering and it had a B3 MIDI track so I dropped in CollabB3 and I've linked an exported mix in case anybody wants to hear it in a mix as a background support instrument (which Hammonds shine at like no other). As I've said I'm no keyboard player especially as a soloist so this tune is not indicative of CollaB3 in the skilled hands of somebody like Jimmy Smith, Barbara Dennerlein or Joey DeFrancesco..

http://bandshed.net/music/OTHER_MIXES/C ... ollaB3.mp3
Hey @GMaq Can you explain how you go CollaB3 working at a Plugin in Ardour. I downloaded the .sh installer and ran it. It installed the Standalone to my home directory and runs well, I didn't know where to put the plugin for Ardour so I just told it to put it in my Documents and I can see a CollaB3.so file but nothing else. Do I need to put the CollaB3.so file somewhere so Ardour can scan it and see it when scanning for Plugins? Im running Ardour 6 on Ubuntu 20.04
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Electron13 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:03 am Do I need to put the CollaB3.so file somewhere so Ardour can scan it and see it when scanning for Plugins? Im running Ardour 6 on Ubuntu 20.04
The usual location for VSTs on Debian based GNU/Linux distros is /home/user/.vst

But you can tell Ardour to look in other locations too.
Screenshot from 2020-08-30 13-48-15.png
Screenshot from 2020-08-30 13-48-15.png (55.02 KiB) Viewed 4666 times
David Healey
PeteTheGreek

Post by PeteTheGreek »

Hi,

Should this work on a Raspberry Pi (running Rasberry Pi OS)?

I can get the installer to run, and end up with a 34.1 mb "CollaB" file for the standalone, and a 39.6 mb "CollaB.so" file for the plugin, but can't figure out what to do next. Any help is appreciated.
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

PeteTheGreek wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:58 pm Hi,

Should this work on a Raspberry Pi (running Rasberry Pi OS)?

I can get the installer to run, and end up with a 34.1 mb "CollaB" file for the standalone, and a 39.6 mb "CollaB.so" file for the plugin, but can't figure out what to do next. Any help is appreciated.
I don't think the standalone will run on a Raspberry pi because it wasn't compiled on an ARM system. The .so is a VSTi which I think should work in any DAW you have that supports VSTi.
David Healey
Natelok
Established Member

Post by Natelok »

lordbullingdon wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:48 pm Cool. When I run the .sh file (with execute permission enabled), all I get is the terms and conditions, though?

UPDATE: Nevermind. Just press ctrl+c, and you will be asked if you want to install.
Damn. I went through the whole thing with the enter key and then again to install the standalone which somehow I missed, and then again when I forgot to sudo to install it to usr/local/bin and then again because I forgot the trailing slash.

It sounds awesome though. I think I'm gonna be using this a whole lot.
Nate!

Music Nerd, Guitarist, Fixer of Things, DJ, currently employed by Donnybrook Balingup Community Radio (Station Manager & Drive Time DJ, Recording Engineer for a small attached studio for local artists)

DAW: Mixbus at home, Mixbus32C at work