A free native B3

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

stanlea
Established Member

A free native B3

Post by stanlea »

Sampleson made a free B3 emulation, not bad at all :

https://sampleson.com/collab3-free-tonewheel-organ.html
lordbullingdon
Established Member

Re: A free native B3

Post by lordbullingdon »

Cool. When I run the .sh file (with execute permission enabled), all I get is the terms and conditions, though?

UPDATE: Nevermind. Just press ctrl+c, and you will be asked if you want to install.
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Hi,

The instrument was made as a collaboration between Sampleson and 3 other devs (including me, although I didn't do much). The GNU/Linux installer at the Sampleson site doesn't include JACK support in the standalone app (because I forgot to add it) but the installer linked on my site - https://librewave.com - and direct from the github repo does - https://github.com/augustofilocamo/superOrgan/releases

The next version on the Sampleson site will support JACK too.

Good to know that ctrl+c skips the license stuff (I always just hold spacebar until it gets to the end!).
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
lordbullingdon
Established Member

Post by lordbullingdon »

d.healey wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:59 pm Hi,

The instrument was made as a collaboration between Sampleson and 3 other devs (including me, although I didn't do much). The GNU/Linux installer at the Sampleson site doesn't include JACK support in the standalone app (because I forgot to add it) but the installer linked on my site - https://librewave.com - and direct from the github repo does - https://github.com/augustofilocamo/superOrgan/releases

The next version on the Sampleson site will support JACK too.

Good to know that ctrl+c skips the license stuff (I always just hold spacebar until it gets to the end!).
Nice. I've just played with it for a few minutes, but I think it sounds very good! Good work.
Bella
Established Member

Post by Bella »

I downloaded both versions (first, the one on Sampleson and then the one from librewave). I get through the install fine, but when I try to run the standalone executable I'm getting an "Illegal instruction (core dumped)" message. I checked that the file permissions is set to run it as an executable, and I've tried running it both by just double clicking it and via terminal. In either case, and with having tried both versions of the installer, I am unable to open the standalone package, and I'm not sure why or what I may be missing.

Outside of that, Ardour seems to want to blacklist the CollaB3.so. If I clear the blacklist cache, I can see that Ardour initially finds it, but then blacklists it again.

Any suggestions for getting CollaB3 up and running with either the standalone, or the plugin thru Ardour (5.12.0)?

Thanks!

Basic System specs:
LinuxMint 19.3 (Tricia) MATE 64bit
Kernel: 4.15.0-96-lowlatency
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
Memory: 3GB
Graphics: NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] Driver: NVIDIA 304.137
Audio Interface: Mackie Onyx Satellite (Firewire)
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Outstanding work. The sounds are excellent and the graphics are lovely as well. Works great standalone and Mixbus sees the plugin fine on my end.
listenable at c6a7.org
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

I'm getting an "Illegal instruction (core dumped)" message.
I guess it needs a bit modern CPU with SSE4.
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Kott wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:38 am
I'm getting an "Illegal instruction (core dumped)" message.
I guess it needs a bit modern CPU with SSE4.
SSE4.1 is the minimum required. I can make another run with support for older CPUs. I'll post when I've updated the installer.

Ardour is a PITA for blacklisting plugins without explanation. I have plugins that are fine in A5 but A6 blacklists them, I have no idea why.
David Healey
Bella
Established Member

Post by Bella »

d.healey wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:09 am SSE4.1 is the minimum required. I can make another run with support for older CPUs. I'll post when I've updated the installer.

Ardour is a PITA for blacklisting plugins without explanation. I have plugins that are fine in A5 but A6 blacklists them, I have no idea why.
Thanks for the feedback - -

I'd been testing out a new Linux setup on an older machine before switching to a more modern system, so the old-CPU-as-culprit makes sense. That said, I'm almost done configuring the setup on a new computer, so I'm eager to see how CollaB3 works on it. I'll pipe back in with my results.

The video samples of the B3 sound amazing, so I'm excited about trying it out!
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

I've updated the GNU/Linux installer - https://github.com/augustofilocamo/supe ... tag/v1.0.0

Please let me know if this now works on your older hardware.

Thanks.
David Healey
Bella
Established Member

Post by Bella »

d.healey wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:28 pm I've updated the GNU/Linux installer - https://github.com/augustofilocamo/supe ... tag/v1.0.0

Please let me know if this now works on your older hardware.

Thanks.
Ok, I used the updated installer you linked to, on my older system. Installs fine, but as far as getting the standalone executable to run after install finishes - no dice. I get nothing when double-clicking it, and when I try to run it via terminal, I get the 'core dumped' message again. For the hell of it, I checked to see if Ardour would run the plugin from this current installer, but it would not.

However, I did install it on the newer system, which is also running the same linux version and kernel as the old system [LinuxMint 19.3 (Tricia) MATE 64bit], [Kernel: 4.15.0-96-lowlatency], and the standalone fired right up. Worked great with my MIDI keyboard and sounded fantastic!

Same issue with Ardour in the new system though -- it just doesn't want to allow the plugin for some reason.

Edited/Update:

Good news though, in Ardour, I was able to use the Carla Rack plugin to load the CollaB3.so plugin, and it's working out just fine.

As for the standalone on my new system, the only issue I happened upon was switching from ALSA to JACK (when I thought I had JACK running, but didn't), the error window that pops up is very difficult to read. The "driver initialisation error" bit reads fine, but below it, the "the audio driver could not be opened" text as well as the "OK" button to close out the error window, are very, very faint. Almost didn't notice them.
Last edited by Bella on Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

This looks great! I ran into a snag earlier today and didn't have time to revisit..

Does the installer need to run as Root? It complains about not being able to install the plugin on my system, I have no interest in the standalone..

Would it be possible just to provide the plugin .so file in a zip so people who just want the VST can put it where they want?
tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@d.healey Thanks for helping package the instrument for Linux!

On another note: I'd like to try out some of Sampleson's other HISE-based instruments, but they don't advertise Linux support. I'm assuming that HISE is capable of generating a Linux-compatible VST with very little addtiional effort on their part: am I wrong about that?

Tres.
Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
Shupacabras
Established Member

Post by Shupacabras »

HI.
The vst plugin is not too usable on my AMD A10, 4gb ram with kde neon, it consumes a lot of resources and generates a lot of xruns, both with Carla and Ardor.
But the standalone version works perfectly.
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Bella wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:13 am I get the 'core dumped' message again.
That's a shame. What CPU are you using?

Could you run this command and let me know what versions of sse your system supports? - cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep sse
Same issue with Ardour in the new system though -- it just doesn't want to allow the plugin for some reason.
Need to ask the Ardour guys about this.
GMaq wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:12 am Does the installer need to run as Root?
Only if you're installing it in a root owned location, like /opt for example.
Would it be possible just to provide the plugin .so file in a zip so people who just want the VST can put it where they want?
To keep things simple for users we're just offering one installer per OS. I could add additional files but it would make things less clear for users of other OS and I can predict the questions from Windows and Mac users asking if they also need to download the extra file(s).
tseaver wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:27 am On another note: I'd like to try out some of Sampleson's other HISE-based instruments, but they don't advertise Linux support. I'm assuming that HISE is capable of generating a Linux-compatible VST with very little addtiional effort on their part: am I wrong about that?
The process for exporting on each of the three OS is pretty much identical. The main thing is most HISE developers aren't GNU/Linux users and seem to not be interested in supporting the platform. Please let Sampleson know that there is a market for his plugins on GNU/Linux.
Shupacabras wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:52 am The vst plugin is not too usable on my AMD A10, 4gb ram with kde neon, it consumes a lot of resources and generates a lot of xruns,
I get quite high CPU usage too, I think it's due to the real-time DSP stuff. I hope future versions will be more streamlined/efficient.
David Healey