sfizz

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

paulfd
Established Member

Re: sfizz

Post by paulfd »

Michael Willis wrote:
paulfd wrote:while still preallocating the required space to hold the LFO states for each voice somewhere
Why is it necessary to preallocate space to hold LFO states? Isn't it just a function of time? Or do you mean having audio buffer space to store the modulation effects influenced by the LFOs?
Assume that an LFO is basically just a frequency and phase that you have to store in between callbacks to compute the "next chunk" of the sine or cosine, possibly modulating the frequency during the rendering. These values need to be stored somewhere, but considering the way LFOs are supposed to work in SFZ v2, it does not make too much sense to store them within the voice object that will render the sample because depending on the region parameters you may have an arbitrary number of LFOs running in parallel. You would rather have some pool of LFOs that voices can borrow when they start a specific region, and give them back when the sample ends. During the lifecycle of the voice it can track the which LFO targets which parameter, etc.

It's this borrowing and parameter dispatching mechanism that I do not have implemented yet. The good news is the SFZ v2 envelopes and probably even the EQs can work in the some similar way, so this distribution pattern can be used for all of the more advanced parts of the SFZ spec.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Thank you all for this, we have been waiting a long time for this. Good luck with sfz specs !
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

I keep thinking that we could make a plugin that incorporates both libgig and sfizz so that it supports GIG and SFZ files. After considering what name to pick, it came to me in a flash...

FIZZGIG.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@paulfd, thanks very much for your work on what seems to be a very promising solution.

I was able to get it built on my "stable" music machine (Ubuntu artful, 18.10) after installing the latest CMake from source and applying the following patch on the develop branch:

Code: Select all

$ git diff
diff --git a/CMakeLists.txt b/CMakeLists.txt
index fe18b6a..9fb15e3 100644
--- a/CMakeLists.txt
+++ b/CMakeLists.txt
@@ -1,6 +1,10 @@
 cmake_minimum_required (VERSION 3.13)
 project (sfizz VERSION 1.0.0 LANGUAGES CXX C)

+# Force latest standard
+set(CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD 17)
+set(CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD_REQUIRED ON)
+
 # External configuration CMake scripts
 set (CMAKE_MODULE_PATH "${CMAKE_MODULE_PATH};${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/cmake")
 include (SfizzConfig)
I found switching quickly between samples with the 'sfizz_jack' client a little tedious: it would be easier if there were a command-line option for the MIDI controller, so that I don't have to reconnect manually.

The LV2 plugin works fine for me in Ardour and Mixbus. I'm not enough of a MIDI / orchestral guy to put it through its paces much, though.
Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

The author of sfizz just made a 0.2.0 release. Download the tar.gz file, open it up, and you will find both a standalone JACK program (bin -> sfizz_jack) and an LV2 plugin (lib -> lv2 -> sfizz.lv2).
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Slight diversion. What's the position with sf2 these days?
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

folderol wrote:Slight diversion. What's the position with sf2 these days?
sf2 isn't nearly as rich in features as sfz, for example I think it doesn't support round-robin, but there are plenty of nice-sounding sf2 instruments out there. Sfizz doesn't support sf2, it is only for sfz instruments. Seems like fluidsynth is still the preferred sf2 player?
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Just tested sfizz, and seems to work great for me. Hurray, no more need for LinuxSampler!

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

tavasti wrote:Just tested sfizz, and seems to work great for me. Hurray, no more need for LinuxSampler!
Sorry, I'm very ignorant but what is bad with linuxsampler?
MusE DAW
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

spamatica wrote:
tavasti wrote:Just tested sfizz, and seems to work great for me. Hurray, no more need for LinuxSampler!
I don't like that I need separate program (qsampler) to select samples. With real sampler plugin, all is in my Mixbus project, and handled there.

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

tavasti wrote:
spamatica wrote:
I don't like that I need separate program (qsampler) to select samples. With real sampler plugin, all is in my Mixbus project, and handled there.
The configuration of the Linuxsampler-plugin is stored with your project. It works definitely with Rosegarden and Qtractor and I am pretty sure it works with other DAWs as well. Loading the saved project in your DAW is all you have to do to.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

bluebell wrote:
tavasti wrote: I don't like that I need separate program (qsampler) to select samples. With real sampler plugin, all is in my Mixbus project, and handled there.
The configuration of the Linuxsampler-plugin is stored with your project. It works definitely with Rosegarden and Qtractor and I am pretty sure it works with other DAWs as well. Loading the saved project in your DAW is all you have to do to.
But still need to config that in some external program instead of just selecting soundfont from plugin.

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

tavasti wrote:
bluebell wrote:
tavasti wrote: I don't like that I need separate program (qsampler) to select samples. With real sampler plugin, all is in my Mixbus project, and handled there.
But still need to config that in some external program instead of just selecting soundfont from plugin.
Yes. The initial configuration per instance has to be done with an external program.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

tavasti wrote:
spamatica wrote:
Ok, apart from the configuration, is there anything else that sfizz improves upon?
MusE DAW
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

spamatica wrote: Sorry, I'm very ignorant but what is bad with linuxsampler?
It's not free software.
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.