Page 1 of 2

Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:45 pm
by tavasti
I have played some amount of time with good old petri-foo sampler, and I like feature set it has. However, it is standalone program, and I would prefer to have plugin, which would have pretty similar features. You can load samples, set ranges they are available, you have plenty of parameters to adjust, envelopes to control those parameters, etc.

Any suggestion of native linux (free as beer) samplers which would have something like it, but they would be available as plugin?

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:42 am
by bluebell
Ever tried samplv1? It's available standalone and as a plugin.

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:43 pm
by tavasti
samplv1 is just for one sample, and what I would want is to have multiple samples overlayed on same tone, and several samples on different pitches. So with samplv1, this would require dozen instances, and then putting suitable notes to piano roll of that particular instance. Doesn't sound feasible, better to have separate petri-foo and route midi & audio to/from there.

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:12 pm
by bluebell
You can have that amount of control with Linuxsampler and your text editor of choice.It's not too complicated to create SFZ-soundfonts.

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:55 pm
by lilith
What about redux? Also Reapers sampler can do such things. But both is not free.

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:05 am
by sysrqer
lilith wrote:What about redux?

Yeah renoise/redux is one of the most powerful samplers around. You can can do synthesis with single cycle wave samples, draw your own waveforms to use as samples, record samples, do multisampling with velocity layers and fully adjustable and automatable envelopes/filters/modulation, or all of these at once.

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:18 am
by tavasti
lilith wrote:What about redux?

Most likely would be great, but regarding how much I use sampler, cost is too much for me.

lilith wrote:Also Reapers sampler can do such things.

Does it work outside Reaper? And I suppose it is not available as separate product?

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:24 pm
by jonetsu
Redux is very nice. On the commercial side still, and moreover as a windows VST, there's MSoundFactory that will shortly get a sampler module, for 40€ more than Redux but having all the synth generators and a whole array of effects. In that case the investment would be about a very capable multi tool and not only a sampler.

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:52 pm
by sysrqer
How about the LSP samplers?

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:00 pm
by lilith
tavasti wrote:
lilith wrote:What about redux?

Most likely would be great, but regarding how much I use sampler, cost is too much for me.

lilith wrote:Also Reapers sampler can do such things.

Does it work outside Reaper? And I suppose it is not available as separate product?


I don't think the Reaper sampler will work outside reaper. I did a quick test and the plugin wasn't recognized.
LSP Sampler is also good.

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:12 pm
by tavasti
bluebell wrote:You can have that amount of control with Linuxsampler and your text editor of choice.It's not too complicated to create SFZ-soundfonts.

That would nearly work, but linux sampler is not a plugin, or can it be used so that all settings are in DAW project? How I have used it, it is just like with petri-foo, need to load presets in separate program, and then connect to it.

LSP Samplers seem to be simple ones, not having enough features.

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:27 pm
by Michael Willis
tavasti wrote:That would nearly work, but linux sampler is not a plugin, or can it be used so that all settings are in DAW project?

It can be used that way. I have several projects that use Linux Sampler. I load the plugin in the DAW, configure it with qsampler, then save the DAW session, which remembers the settings. Upon loading the DAW session later, I only have to use qsampler again if I want to change the configuration of the Linuxsampler plugin.

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:45 pm
by tavasti
Michael Willis wrote:
tavasti wrote:That would nearly work, but linux sampler is not a plugin, or can it be used so that all settings are in DAW project?

It can be used that way. I have several projects that use Linux Sampler. I load the plugin in the DAW, configure it with qsampler, then save the DAW session, which remembers the settings. Upon loading the DAW session later, I only have to use qsampler again if I want to change the configuration of the Linuxsampler plugin.

But linuxsampler will get proper config from daw?

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:53 pm
by Michael Willis
tavasti wrote:But linuxsampler will get proper config from daw?

Yes, the DAW saves the Linuxsampler settings. I'm using the Linuxsampler LV2 plugin, I am able to load DAW sessions and my virtual instrument tracks are correctly configured.

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:58 pm
by bluebell
tavasti wrote:
bluebell wrote:You can have that amount of control with Linuxsampler and your text editor of choice.It's not too complicated to create SFZ-soundfonts.

That would nearly work, but linux sampler is not a plugin, or can it be used so that all settings are in DAW project? How I have used it, it is just like with petri-foo, need to load presets in separate program, and then connect to it.

LSP Samplers seem to be simple ones, not having enough features.


Linuxsampler works fine as a plugin. I use it on many tracks in Qtractor and load the soundfonts with Qsampler or Jsampler. Qtractor stores all settings so I don't have to start Qsampler or Jsampler after loading a song.

Pitfall: Check that each Linuxsampler-channel uses the same MIDI channel as its Qtractor track.

l.jpg