Page 2 of 3

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:13 am
by tavasti
Ok, have to study sfz specs, most likely it has enough features.

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:26 pm
by tavasti
jonetsu wrote:Redux is very nice. On the commercial side still, and moreover as a windows VST, there's MSoundFactory that will shortly get a sampler module, for 40€ more than Redux but having all the synth generators and a whole array of effects. In that case the investment would be about a very capable multi tool and not only a sampler.
Returning to this topic. Downloaded Redux demo, and immediately run to problems. Dialogs opened are pretty likely to cause problems. They open empty/half dead, and then whole plugin or whole Mixbus is dead. https://youtu.be/GIf7mO6qdGo?t=140

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:23 am
by jonetsu
Last time I used Redux, it worked fine in Bitwig 2.x. In fact just tried it now:
redux.jpg

So it might be Mixbus. Also, this is the previous Redux version, not the most recent.

And, the subject are samplers in general. So no 'returning to this topic'. MSoundFactory is also a sampler.

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:54 am
by tavasti
jonetsu wrote:Last time I used Redux, it worked fine in Bitwig 2.x. In fact just tried it now:
...
So it might be Mixbus. Also, this is the previous Redux version, not the most recent.
Most likely it is some incompatibility with Mixbus and Redux. However, if that is not fixable, then Redux won't be sampler for me. Could you try if Redux works for you in Mixbus?
jonetsu wrote:And, the subject are samplers in general. So no 'returning to this topic'. MSoundFactory is also a sampler.
Subject is that I am looking for suitable sampler for myself :-P

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:09 pm
by jonetsu
Looks like it works, bringing it up, playing a sample. This is not the recent Mixbus32C but the previous one.
redux_mixbus32C.jpg
I remember there's a keyboard entry problem with Mixbus as I posted about that years ago in the Renoise forum. It was acknowledged by Ardour and Renoise although I have no idea if it was solved since then.

As for a sampler, MSoundFactory has a sampler module. It also loads SFZ files. But it's also a synth and has a whole bunch of FX, is more expensive than Redux and, it needs the wine/linvst layer. On my i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz with 16GB RAM and Xubuntu 18.04, it works well. The demo can be tried.

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MSoundFactory

OTOH, Redux is a dedicated sampler with a lot more features, but no synth. I also wasn't too successful at loading SFZ files in Redux though.

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:20 pm
by tavasti
jonetsu wrote:Looks like it works, bringing it up, playing a sample. This is not the recent Mixbus32C but the previous one.
...
OTOH, Redux is a dedicated sampler with a lot more features, but no synth. I also wasn't too successful at loading SFZ files in Redux though.
It was playing ok for me also, but for example importing sample or sfz, import dialog fails commonly. Not every time, but pretty often. Was it same problem for you?

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:43 am
by jonetsu
tavasti wrote: It was playing ok for me also, but for example importing sample or sfz, import dialog fails commonly. Not every time, but pretty often. Was it same problem for you?
It never was able to load successfully any SFZ. I tried perhaps 2 or 3 times. I might also have asked on the Renoise forum. That was years ago.
So I use it only as a sampler, with wav files.

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:23 pm
by stanlea
jonetsu wrote:
tavasti wrote: It was playing ok for me also, but for example importing sample or sfz, import dialog fails commonly. Not every time, but pretty often. Was it same problem for you?
It never was able to load successfully any SFZ. I tried perhaps 2 or 3 times. I might also have asked on the Renoise forum. That was years ago.
So I use it only as a sampler, with wav files.
Redux can only load small sfz, it has no disk streaming. So if it can't load, it crashes sometimes.

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:38 pm
by tavasti
jonetsu wrote:
tavasti wrote: It was playing ok for me also, but for example importing sample or sfz, import dialog fails commonly. Not every time, but pretty often. Was it same problem for you?
It never was able to load successfully any SFZ. I tried perhaps 2 or 3 times. I might also have asked on the Renoise forum. That was years ago.
So I use it only as a sampler, with wav files.
Ok, when that dialog did not fail, I successfully loaded some NoBudgetOrch soundfont, so it is possible that there has been some fixes.

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:13 pm
by jonetsu
tavasti wrote: Ok, when that dialog did not fail, I successfully loaded some NoBudgetOrch soundfont, so it is possible that there has been some fixes.
There was a more or less recent update, which I do not run yet.

You might be interested with the VPO. That's what I use with MSF.

http://virtualplaying.com/virtual-playing-orchestra/

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:44 pm
by tavasti
jonetsu wrote:You might be interested with the VPO. That's what I use with MSF.

http://virtualplaying.com/virtual-playing-orchestra/
Yeah, I have that also. Now it is only matter of picking what sampler to use with them. MSF is not option, too pricey, and I try to avoid windows plugins if possible. I have some, but I hate of thought I will meet situation where I have project half way (most them are), and done with windows plugins, and due some change in position of stars plugin does not work :-(

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:29 pm
by glowrak guy
tavasti wrote:
jonetsu wrote:You might be interested with the VPO. That's what I use with MSF.

http://virtualplaying.com/virtual-playing-orchestra/
Yeah, I have that also. Now it is only matter of picking what sampler to use with them. MSF is not option, too pricey, and I try to avoid windows plugins if possible. I have some, but I hate of thought I will meet situation where I have project half way (most them are), and done with windows plugins, and due some change in position of stars plugin does not work :-(
No stars involved, just stop the endless willynilly upgrading
of your music production environment.

No rocket science involved either.
Linux lets you install multiple distros on cheap external drives.
Let them be the update spear-catchers :roll:

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:38 am
by tavasti
glowrak guy wrote:
tavasti wrote:MSF is not option, too pricey, and I try to avoid windows plugins if possible. I have some, but I hate of thought I will meet situation where I have project half way (most them are), and done with windows plugins, and due some change in position of stars plugin does not work :-(
No stars involved, just stop the endless willynilly upgrading
of your music production environment.
I don't have separate music production env, and I can be using music production stuff also while doing other work, so it is not option to keep it frozen. If I would have separate machine or some dual boot config, I would not ever make any music. Now doing stuff in small fragments, so everything has to be there right away, not needing some setup time.

Anyway, we are now pretty far from topic :-)

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:10 am
by jonetsu
tavasti wrote:I don't have separate music production env, and I can be using music production stuff also while doing other work, so it is not option to keep it frozen. If I would have separate machine or some dual boot config, I would not ever make any music. Now doing stuff in small fragments, so everything has to be there right away, not needing some setup time.
It could be vice-versa. It is possible to maintain a stable main workstation while updating KVM instances for work.

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:29 am
by tavasti
jonetsu wrote:
tavasti wrote: It was playing ok for me also, but for example importing sample or sfz, import dialog fails commonly. Not every time, but pretty often. Was it same problem for you?
It never was able to load successfully any SFZ. I tried perhaps 2 or 3 times. I might also have asked on the Renoise forum. That was years ago.
So I use it only as a sampler, with wav files.
Tried Redux again, trying to trace conditions when crash hapens and when not. Also opening 'import sample' dialog can cause same thing. So for some reason, does not work in my setup.