Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

Re: Looking for versatile sampler plugin

Post by jonetsu »

tavasti wrote:Tried Redux again, trying to trace conditions when crash hapens and when not. Also opening 'import sample' dialog can cause same thing. So for some reason, does not work in my setup.
As a side note, the latest "jam300" I posted has a great part of the drums/percs done using Renoise.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

tavasti wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:29 am
jonetsu wrote:
tavasti wrote: It was playing ok for me also, but for example importing sample or sfz, import dialog fails commonly. Not every time, but pretty often. Was it same problem for you?
It never was able to load successfully any SFZ. I tried perhaps 2 or 3 times. I might also have asked on the Renoise forum. That was years ago.
So I use it only as a sampler, with wav files.
Tried Redux again, trying to trace conditions when crash hapens and when not. Also opening 'import sample' dialog can cause same thing. So for some reason, does not work in my setup.
Great news!

I tested also Renoise itself, and got crashes there. Googled with error messages, looked what libs it was linked, and found out similar case in opensource project. It is bug in code which does not appear with all window managers, but AwesomeWM was in that group.

Communicated all that to Renoise, they tried out and fixed problem. Now I am running working non-public beta version of Redux which works without any problems. I don't know when will be official release, but I suspect it is pretty soon.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Cyberkeys
Established Member

Post by Cyberkeys »

Hi guys!

I was just testing a demo version of Bliss 1.8 (99$), as some people in this forum also use this sampler and recommended it.

However, it feels a bit clumsy to use. In the editor, I cannot rightclick samples to show options or delete them. I cannot click "delete" on the keyboard to delete them. I have to choose that option from menu.
I tried to load a free .sfz for aria engine, where I deleted all the aria specific opcodes beforehand. It didn't load the sfz well, and all the samples played at once. I tried to set the key-regions, but every parameter has to be chosen from a dropdown menu (with all 127 notes....yeah), so it will take until demo time runs out (I gave up before). There was no auto-detect for the root key, and no auto loop detection. Polyphone editor can do that.

The VSCOv3 .sfz files it loads with no problem. I used some effects and knobs. This (knobs) is a feature that Linuxsampler does not have, although it can be coded in the .sfz files by hand. Or I just didn't find that knobs yet.

Thus, for keyboard layout of sfz files, I would have to use a graphical editor like polyphone for zone editing and finding loop points, then could use Bliss for its effects. Another thing about Bliss is, that it does not have time stretching yet. But I'm not sure if I need that with evenly spaced samples.
(I guess I am not convinced because I'm not using Bliss as it was intended to :? .)

Next I wanted to try sforzando (0$) and TAL (60$?) as plugin. I already got kontakt 6 to run, but I dont want to buy some libraries due to uncertainty if I can use them in the future (lack of linux support).

Regards
cyber cyber
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Cyberkeys wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:23 pm I already got kontakt 6 to run, but I dont want to buy some libraries due to uncertainty if I can use them in the future (lack of linux support).
Is there anything special on getting Kontakt to work, or is it as easy as windows plugin can be in Linux?

Cyberkeys
Established Member

Post by Cyberkeys »

Hi tavasti,

depends on what you think is "special", but I managed somehow with the help of this forum and "the internet".

A short description on how I installed Kontakt (player?):
First, you have to get Native Access to run. This was fine with wine and wine-staging. I had to set all paths in settings correctly for the download to happen (the default paths were wrong and I got an error). Next, in Native Access you can "install" Kontakt and other plugins. This will download some .iso and/or .zip and then try to mount it and fail. Because Native Access for Windows cannot mount stuff in linux. But you can mount the files yourself and then start the installer. I also installed wineasio beforehand because I have read it might be a requirement.

The installer will do some activate stuff in the meantime. So it will try to open Native Access, but it didn't work for me. I started Native Access myself but there was nothing to do....next day I got an email saying everything was activated. Well....okay then.

When the installer is done you will have some .dll files. Use linvstconvert (from package linvst-stable [0]) or linvstconvert-cli in the .dll folder to get .so files which you can use as plugins. I was able to use the Kontakt.so in Carla und just tested it with Ardour6. Be sure to put the path in your vst-search-path. Kontakt will also open a second window in the back, asking for licensing. Be sure to close that window.

I am still not sure if Kontakt 6 ist the same as Kontakt Player 6. When the plugin is started, its name is Kontakt. When I look in Native access, I could only download Kontakt Player, and it tells me that the player is installed. So I guess its the same application. I haven't checked yet if audio stops after 15 mins.

I did not yet buy any sample libraries for Kontakt, everything for the Kontakt player is a minimum of 100$ due to their licensing policy (anything under 100$ requires full Kontakt). But this way, I cannot test library activation with Native Access with some cheap library.

Other samplers:
I also installed sforzando .sfz player plugin with this approach and linvst. It works like a charm an can even read the keyswitch ("KS") files of VSCOv3. This is what I would call "nothing special to do". And sfz-libs will always give you some samples and plain-text-code. I like that :).

I will try TAL and Redux Demo version for .sfz samplers next. I noticed with Bliss also some noises and artifacts when playing two or more keys at once, not sure if this is due to demo version or a bug. However, I cannot make music with this if this is also present in the full version.

Regards

[0] (As of three days ago, with archlinux the correct package is linvst-stable, not linvst. The latter didn't work for me.)
cyber cyber
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Cyberkeys wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:47 am depends on what you think is "special", but I managed somehow with the help of this forum and "the internet".

A short description on how I installed Kontakt (player?):
Thanks, this tells pretty much of it.
Cyberkeys wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:47 am Other samplers:
I also installed sforzando .sfz player plugin with this approach and linvst. It works like a charm an can even read the keyswitch ("KS") files of VSCOv3. This is what I would call "nothing special to do". And sfz-libs will always give you some samples and plain-text-code. I like that :).

I will try TAL and Redux Demo version for .sfz samplers next. I noticed with Bliss also some noises and artifacts when playing two or more keys at once, not sure if this is due to demo version or a bug. However, I cannot make music with this if this is also present in the full version.
For using sfz, sfizz and liquidsfz work ok.

lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Tal Sampler is crazy. Will likely buy it.
Cyberkeys
Established Member

Post by Cyberkeys »

@tavasti: I just tried sfizz and liquidsfz, they are both neat little sfz players for out of the box sample playing. Thnx!
But they don't offer simple effects like modifying the envelope. This probably can be done with correct .sfz programming.

@lilith: I also tested TAL sampler and I really liked it. All the buttons <3 and I can even choose a custom color for the interface (I even got used to the hiss noise...). It has a graphical key mapping thingy which makes it easier to map samples, and also key learn. Means, you can click the root/start/end note on your keyboard. The rest of the interface looks like a synth, so its quite familiar to me. It is also a linux native.

I found out why Kontakt is always in demo mode: when you choose a full kontakt lib or load a sample, it changes to demo mode [0]. But mine is in demo mode right from the start. So whatever. I might consider Kontakt again later, as it seems that most sample libraries are focused on and programmed in it.

I also tried Redux sampler - wow, so many buttons and menus. But I got lost with the UI and didnt find a button to start a new instrument. But what I saw from the presets, it seems like a powerful tool and synth. And it comes as linux native plugin and just crashed once in the beginning ^^. I am interested to learn how to use this. I never used a tracker before - having notes from top to button is just so unfamiliar. Pricing is also ok for me. It did not load the keyswitch presets from the VSCOv3. So far, only sforzando could do that.

[0] https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... -Demo-Mode
cyber cyber
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Cyberkeys wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:53 pm @tavasti: I just tried sfizz and liquidsfz, they are both neat little sfz players for out of the box sample playing. Thnx!
But they don't offer simple effects like modifying the envelope. This probably can be done with correct .sfz programming.
Yeah, with editing sfz you can adjust every single parameter, or even bind them to any midi cc, so that they can be adjusted on the fly.

https://sfzformat.com/modulations/envelope_generators
Cyberkeys wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:53 pm I also tried Redux sampler - wow, so many buttons and menus. But I got lost with the UI and didnt find a button to start a new instrument. But what I saw from the presets, it seems like a powerful tool and synth. And it comes as linux native plugin and just crashed once in the beginning ^^. I am interested to learn how to use this. I never used a tracker before - having notes from top to button is just so unfamiliar. Pricing is also ok for me.
Current redux version can crash in opening dialogs, for example loading sample or sfz. However that problem is fixed, and next release will contain fix for that (I have personal point release because I was reporting and tracing problem in detail, and that crash does not happen anymore).

studio32

Post by studio32 »

I did test the demo of Renoise Redux to check how it works with Ableton Link. It seems to work (and sync) well in Carla, but in Ardour 6.5, I can't open the editor window
oddy.o.lynx
Established Member

Post by oddy.o.lynx »

If you really want to build your own, this is the best. It's a lot of work to learn but there are a few good tutorials on YouTube especially DavidHealey's channel.

You would have to build it from scratch and there's also an option to build it using Intel Performance Primitives. This video is excellent.

http://www.hise.audio/
Last edited by oddy.o.lynx on Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

oddy.o.lynx wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:44 pm You have to build it from scratch and use the Intel Performance Primitives. This video is excellent.
Thanks for the mention. You don't have to use the IPP, I don't use them on my GNU/Linux machine because they're proprietary.
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
oddy.o.lynx
Established Member

Post by oddy.o.lynx »

d.healey wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:13 pm
oddy.o.lynx wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:44 pm You have to build it from scratch and use the Intel Performance Primitives. This video is excellent.
Thanks for the mention. You don't have to use the IPP, I don't use them on my GNU/Linux machine because they're proprietary.
Thanks for the correction. I edited the comment. I built it successfully using IPP on Debian Stretch in the past.
eufex
Established Member

Post by eufex »

Deleted: read more of thread: my reply is redundant