SFZero does not work in Ubuntu 18.04

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Post Reply
tavasti
Established Member
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:56 am
Location: Kangasala, Finland
Contact:

SFZero does not work in Ubuntu 18.04

Post by tavasti »

Wanted to try SFZero for using sfz. Downloaded it from https://github.com/osxmidi/SFZero/releases and found out that MixBus blacklists it.
Struggled to compile it myself, and same results.
$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/Mixbus-5.1.0/lib/:/lib:/usr/lib /opt/Mixbus-5.1.0/lib/ardour-vst-scanner -f vst-linux/SFZero.so
[ERROR]: Could not open existing LXVST plugin: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37: undefined symbol: g_output_stream_write_all_async
[WARNING]: Cannot get LinuxVST information from 'vst-linux/SFZero.so': load failed.
Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM
More my music https://audiu.net/users/tawaste

tavasti
Established Member
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:56 am
Location: Kangasala, Finland
Contact:

Re: SFZero does not work in Ubuntu 18.04

Post by tavasti »

It is ubunty package, so bug report to ubuntu?
tavasti@hermo:~/install/midicontroller-041011$ apt search libwebkit2gtk
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37/bionic-updates,bionic-security,now 2.22.2-0ubuntu0.18.04.2 amd64 [installed]
Web content engine library for GTK+

libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37-gtk2/bionic-updates,bionic-security,now 2.22.2-0ubuntu0.18.04.2 amd64 [installed]
Web content engine library for GTK+ - GTK+2 plugin process

libwebkit2gtk-4.0-dev/bionic-updates,bionic-security,now 2.22.2-0ubuntu0.18.04.2 amd64 [installed]
Web content engine library for GTK+ - development files

libwebkit2gtk-4.0-doc/bionic-updates,bionic-updates,bionic-security,bionic-security 2.22.2-0ubuntu0.18.04.2 all
Web content engine library for GTK+ - documentation
Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM
More my music https://audiu.net/users/tawaste

ubuntuuser
Established Member
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:46 am

Re: SFZero does not work in Ubuntu 18.04

Post by ubuntuuser »

tavasti wrote:Wanted to try SFZero for using sfz. Downloaded it from https://github.com/osxmidi/SFZero/releases and found out that MixBus blacklists it.
Struggled to compile it myself, and same results.
$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/Mixbus-5.1.0/lib/:/lib:/usr/lib /opt/Mixbus-5.1.0/lib/ardour-vst-scanner -f vst-linux/SFZero.so
[ERROR]: Could not open existing LXVST plugin: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37: undefined symbol: g_output_stream_write_all_async
[WARNING]: Cannot get LinuxVST information from 'vst-linux/SFZero.so': load failed.
https://discourse.ardour.org/t/vst-plugins/88894/5

tavasti
Established Member
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:56 am
Location: Kangasala, Finland
Contact:

Re: SFZero does not work in Ubuntu 18.04

Post by tavasti »

Tried commenting in modules/juce_gui_extra/juce_gui_extra.h that #define JUCE_WEB_BROWSER 1
Linking SFZero - VST
build/SFZero.a(include_juce_events_fd7d695.o): In function `juce::JUCEApplicationBase::main(int, char const**)':
include_juce_events.cpp:(.text.startup+0x11d): undefined reference to `juce::juce_gtkWebkitMain(int, char const**)'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:114: recipe for target 'build/SFZero.so' failed
So leaving that WEB_BROWSER code out it not an option, needs code change to SFZero or Juce?
Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM
More my music https://audiu.net/users/tawaste

tavasti
Established Member
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:56 am
Location: Kangasala, Finland
Contact:

Re: SFZero does not work in Ubuntu 18.04

Post by tavasti »

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM
More my music https://audiu.net/users/tawaste

User avatar
d.healey
Established Member
Posts: 228
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:33 pm

Re: SFZero does not work in Ubuntu 18.04

Post by d.healey »

Did you try building Projucer yourself with all the web crap disabled? Then opening the SFZero jucer in your compiled Projucer and resaving the make file?
David Healey
Patreon - HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.

tavasti
Established Member
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:56 am
Location: Kangasala, Finland
Contact:

Re: SFZero does not work in Ubuntu 18.04

Post by tavasti »

d.healey wrote:Did you try building Projucer yourself with all the web crap disabled? Then opening the SFZero jucer in your compiled Projucer and resaving the make file?
No, did not. I know nothing about juce. But if commenting out #define JUCE_WEB_BROWSER 1 from JUCE/modules/juce_gui_extra/juce_gui_extra.h makes SFZero not linking, doesn't that smell like it needs that WEB_BROWSER stuff?
Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM
More my music https://audiu.net/users/tawaste

User avatar
d.healey
Established Member
Posts: 228
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:33 pm

Re: SFZero does not work in Ubuntu 18.04

Post by d.healey »

tavasti wrote:
d.healey wrote:Did you try building Projucer yourself with all the web crap disabled? Then opening the SFZero jucer in your compiled Projucer and resaving the make file?
No, did not. I know nothing about juce. But if commenting out #define JUCE_WEB_BROWSER 1 from JUCE/modules/juce_gui_extra/juce_gui_extra.h makes SFZero not linking, doesn't that smell like it needs that WEB_BROWSER stuff?
No idea, I never tinker in the code, I just change the options in Projucer.
David Healey
Patreon - HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.

rghvdberg
Established Member
Posts: 978
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 7:11 am

Re: SFZero does not work in Ubuntu 18.04

Post by rghvdberg »

Let me put it VERY black and white : Juce (unmodified) is basically spyware (IMHO)

A while ago I was building Projucer from source and I need to pull in all kind of 'webkit' dependencies. I asked about this on irc (#lad , linux audio developers).
I was asked:
"Are you building a webbrowser?"
After some digging we found out Juce has gone full E.T. mode and wants to phone home.
Juce confirmed this with lame excuses like statistics and what not.

In theory (depends on the implementation of the plugin) Roli knows you are running a juce plugin ..

... let us take a moment to let that sink in ...

The juce plugins provided by kxstudio don't have this because Falktx uses his own fork of Juce and stripped out all the nasty spyware stuff.

tavasti
Established Member
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:56 am
Location: Kangasala, Finland
Contact:

Re: SFZero does not work in Ubuntu 18.04

Post by tavasti »

rghvdberg wrote: After some digging we found out Juce has gone full E.T. mode and wants to phone home.
Juce confirmed this with lame excuses like statistics and what not.
Oh, that sounds nice! Hopefully they implement also remote control there soon...
Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM
More my music https://audiu.net/users/tawaste

tramp
Established Member
Posts: 1641
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:13 am

Re: SFZero does not work in Ubuntu 18.04

Post by tramp »

tavasti wrote:Oh, that sounds nice! Hopefully they implement also remote control there soon...
Reminds me on a wish at the calf issue tracker:
https://github.com/calf-studio-gear/calf/issues/183

:lol: :lol:
On the road again.

ubuntuuser
Established Member
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:46 am

Re: SFZero does not work in Ubuntu 18.04

Post by ubuntuuser »

tavasti wrote:
Tried commenting in modules/juce_gui_extra/juce_gui_extra.h that #define JUCE_WEB_BROWSER 1
Linking SFZero - VST
build/SFZero.a(include_juce_events_fd7d695.o): In function `juce::JUCEApplicationBase::main(int, char const**)':
include_juce_events.cpp:(.text.startup+0x11d): undefined reference to `juce::juce_gtkWebkitMain(int, char const**)'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:114: recipe for target 'build/SFZero.so' failed
So leaving that WEB_BROWSER code out it not an option, needs code change to SFZero or Juce?

Needs a few more changes

juce_gui_extra.h in

/JUCE/modules/juce_gui_extra/

#define JUCE_WEB_BROWSER 1

needs to be commented out so that it looks like this

#ifndef JUCE_WEB_BROWSER
// #define JUCE_WEB_BROWSER 1
#endif

-------------

juce_ApplicationBase.cpp in

/JUCE/modules/juce_events/messages/

#if JUCE_LINUX && JUCE_MODULE_AVAILABLE_juce_gui_extra && (! defined(JUCE_WEB_BROWSER) || JUCE_WEB_BROWSER)

needs to be changed to

#if JUCE_LINUX && JUCE_MODULE_AVAILABLE_juce_gui_extra && JUCE_WEB_BROWSER

there are 2 occurrences of it that need to be changed in the juce_ApplicationBase.cpp file.

-------

Also remove any occurrences of webkit2gtk-4.0 in the Makefile if they exist.

antiesen
Established Member
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: SFZero does not work in Ubuntu 18.04

Post by antiesen »

The binaries on https://github.com/osxmidi/SFZero/releases have not worked for me since version 2017_11_21, but I was able to compile the current version with projucer today.
This was made to end all partys - Einstürzende Neubauten 1985

Post Reply