New version Linux Sampler 2.1 released

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

Baggypants
Establlshed Member

Re: New version Linux Sampler 2.1 released

Postby Baggypants » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:53 pm

[quote="ssj71"]maybe I'm being picky about semantics here but IMHO
proprietary != nonfree != FLOSS

You're now arguing about the meaning of English words. Meanings do change though the passage of time but I don't see why we need to rope proprietary in to the language dance at this time. Proprietary meaning: belonging or controlled as property. The developers of Linux Sampler specifically want to control the usage of their software. Free licences, such as the GPL specifically remove a developers ability to control the software. What's more bizarre is people being upset that people use a word in it's correct usage when it doesn't conform to what they want it to mean.

tramp
Establlshed Member

Postby tramp » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:37 am

Baggypants wrote:Meanings do change though the passage of time but I don't see why we need to rope proprietary in to the language dance at this time. Proprietary meaning: belonging or controlled as property. The developers of Linux Sampler specifically want to control the usage of their software.

I would agree here, and ain't see any issue with saying that LinuxSampler is proprietary Software. This didn't need to mean negative!!
They wont to protect there work against a special use-case, and they have all rights to do so, so, why not call it as it is?
Baggypants wrote:Free licences, such as the GPL specifically remove a developers ability to control the software.

But, wait a moment, when we splitting hairs already here, we can go on a bit further. Even the GPL comes with some limitations to there users. And this limitation goes in the same direction then the one the LinuxSampler devs have chosen.
You are not allowed to distribute binary's from GPL'ed software, without distribute the source-code as well. Strongly taken, this is a limitation. To limit the use, you need to own it, so that you've the right to limit it. So, it becomes your property. So, even GPL'ed software becomes proprietary Software. :roll:

Even the more freely licence BSD, comes with a limitation, as you are not allowed to remove the Licence and author from the code.
So, is even BSD software proprietary software?

Only software released under the Public Domain could be used without any limitation, without a proprietary bit set on it.

I guess that is what falktx already mentioned when he said
" This is not black and white, there are middle grounds here, and LS stands on one of them."

and I fully agree here. :)

Lyberta
Establlshed Member

Postby Lyberta » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:54 am

nilshi wrote:It is also very nice and convenient that all the surrounding tools are truly GPL and interfacing with LS as user or power-user can be done without any problem.

Actually not. libgig is GPL and GPL is copyleft. LinuxSampler backend is not compatible with GPL so all users of LinuxSampler binary and all users of Carla where LinuxSampler is linked to libgig commit copyright infringement.

milk
Establlshed Member

Postby milk » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:44 pm

all users of LinuxSampler binary and all users of Carla where LinuxSampler is linked to libgig commit copyright infringement.

Code: Select all

*   libgig - C++ cross-platform Gigasampler format file access library    *
 *   Copyright (C) 2003-2017 by Christian Schoenebeck                      *
 *                              <cuse@users.sourceforge.net>               *
 *   This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify  *
 *   it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by  *
 *   the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or     *
 *   (at your option) any later version.                                   *

gpl2 allows for tivoization. i'm not sure if it's possible if "(at your option)" allows for legal interpretation/re-licencing under gpl3 (like I think you can relicense bsd as gpl).
wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio etc. - a collection of mostly Linux and free links (OpenID auth for anti-spam, try DW)
Linux Digital Audio and Music Workstation Comparison Matrix - collaborative Google Sheet

Lyberta
Establlshed Member

Postby Lyberta » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:29 am

milk wrote:gpl2 allows for tivoization. i'm not sure if it's possible if "(at your option)" allows for legal interpretation/re-licencing under gpl3 (like I think you can relicense bsd as gpl).

Yes, this means you can link libgig to [A]GPLv3 code and resulting binary will be [A]GPLv3.

Note that there no language like you have the right to link this library to proprietary LinuxSampler backend that would grant you a right. You have no right to link it right now.

falkTX
Establlshed Member

Postby falkTX » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:53 am

libgig is GPLv2+, not GPLv3.
GPLv2 allows additions to its license (though you should rename it).

I'm tired to discuss this with you since you did not seem to understand last time...
Here's another read for you http://www.mmmtechlaw.com/wp-content/up ... censes.pdf

Lyberta
Establlshed Member

Postby Lyberta » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:10 am

falkTX wrote:libgig is GPLv2+, not GPLv3.

Nobody said that libgig is GPLv3. We were discussing what "or any later version" means.

stanlea
Establlshed Member

Postby stanlea » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:45 pm

falkTX wrote:
LS implemented scripting for GIG first because it was easier to do, specially because they already have a GIG file editor.
If you read the 2.1 changelog, you see that they integrated the scripting parser directly into gigedit.
As we don't have an opensource SFZ editor yet (and I mean more than text editor and manually managing files), I agree their decision makes sense.

Now they added the same scripting support to SFZ files, which is great to see.

This new scripting support seems to be made in order to go against (the real proprietary) NI Kontakt.
Even the name is based on it..

Maybe I read too quickly the changelog. If I understand well their scripting parser can add features to the .gig format, and moreover to sfz. As it's not easy to find new .gig files, does this mean it's possible to make new .gig or .sfz from samples and enhance them by scripting a la Kontakt ?

falkTX
Establlshed Member

Postby falkTX » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:05 pm

That's the point of scripting languages in sampler formats, so yes :)

stanlea
Establlshed Member

Postby stanlea » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:46 pm

falkTX wrote:That's the point of scripting languages in sampler formats, so yes :)

That's pretty good, I'm curious to see if free people will produce new samples banks with enhanced features.

nilshi
Establlshed Member

Postby nilshi » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:00 pm

stanlea wrote:
falkTX wrote:That's the point of scripting languages in sampler formats, so yes :)

That's pretty good, I'm curious to see if free people will produce new samples banks with enhanced features.

I don't think so. The bottleneck is recording the instruments, not the programming side.

stanlea
Establlshed Member

Postby stanlea » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:43 pm

nilshi wrote:
stanlea wrote:

I don't think so. The bottleneck is recording the instruments, not the programming side.

The success of Kontakt is based on its power on scripts, no ?

Lyberta
Establlshed Member

Postby Lyberta » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:48 pm

stanlea wrote:The success of Kontakt is based on its power on scripts, no ?

Scripts help professionally recorded instruments that are most likely proprietary. There is no point in using GIG or SFZ with proprietary samples.

stanlea
Establlshed Member

Postby stanlea » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:28 am

Lyberta wrote:
stanlea wrote:The success of Kontakt is based on its power on scripts, no ?

Scripts help professionally recorded instruments that are most likely proprietary. There is no point in using GIG or SFZ with proprietary samples.

I didn't say that. You can take existing free samples or record your own and then enhance their use with scripts. So a sampler is more than a simple sample player. FWIU

falkTX
Establlshed Member

Postby falkTX » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:50 am

Scripts can help all cases, not just proprietary recordings.

Return to “Samplers & samples”