Question samples tones

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

42low
Establlshed Member

Question samples tones

Postby 42low » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:18 pm

Busy with samples for LMMS and Ardour. (and busy picking up recording after vacation)
Both can load one sample to use for multi tones.
But my question.

What is best.
Low tone, to sample to high?
Or high tone, to sample to low?

I think the first (low to high). Because i think a long sound wave being shorter won't have significant loss. Were i think a short wave stretched to long does get loss (Disforming sound wave).
I think stretching is filling with nothing, while for compressing there's enough sound information available.

What's the real right answer from the technical view?

Paul Battersby
Establlshed Member

Re: Question samples tones

Postby Paul Battersby » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:07 pm

If all you are doing is re-using a sample for it's actual tone and a semi-tone away, then I'd say, it's better to go high for the reasons you said (though you might not really hear any difference in quality whether you go low or high). So use a G sample as a G and a G#, but if you are using a G sample for 2 semi-tones, what is typically done is to go both high and low. A G sample would be used as an F#, a G and G#.
Paul Battersby
Ny free orchestral sample library @ http://virtualplaying.com

42low
Establlshed Member

Re: Question samples tones

Postby 42low » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:03 am

Paul Battersby wrote:I'd say, it's better to go high for the reasons you said (though you might not really hear any difference in quality whether you go low or high).

Thanks. 2 for high then. :)

Some samples do great, but i ask this while to much others indeef do differ if a bigger range off tones is used. It starts to sound to much unreal then.

Return to “Samplers & samples”