SF2 soundfont support added to qsampler

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

danboid
Established Member

SF2 soundfont support added to qsampler

Post by danboid »

qsampler did have some minimal, almost accidental support for SF2 soundfonts but now Rui has added more complete support for loading SF2 files into Linuxsampler in the latest qsampler svn. You should now be able to load all the instruments (well, one at a time of course) within multi-instrument soundfonts and see their names.

You could already load SF2's into Linuxsampler with jsampler but I for one greatly favor Qt over Java so I always appreciate one less reason to have Java installed.

Thanks to RNCBC for very quickly adding this feature in less than 24 hours after I bemoaned its absence!

:!: :?: :D

http://qsampler.sourceforge.net/qsample ... s.html#SVN
tux99
Established Member

Re: SF2 soundfont support added to qsampler

Post by tux99 »

That's good news, thanks Rui!
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Rui has pointed out on the qsampler forum that Christian (the Linuxsampler author) has now patched qsampler to make it possible to switch instrument/preset right from the sampler channel strip.

I was going to suggest this myself so it was nice to hear of its addition.
akiz
Established Member

Post by akiz »

but qsampler doesnt exist as a vst or dssi plugin.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

LS is available as a VST, DSSI and LV2 plugin which you add to the desired track(s) in your DAW then you use qsampler to configure LS (because LS doesn't have its own, integrated UI).

Note that there is no need to open qsampler to re-open LS using sessions unless you need to change something so there's no need for a session manager to use LS/qsampler.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I had only lightly tested LS' SF2 support up until recently when I tried to create a session using multiple LS/SF2 plugins and discovered LS to be very crash-prone when using soundfonts.

I asked the LS dev about this and he says its SF2 support is to be regarded as alpha and no-one is known to be working on improving it so it is expected to stay that way until a developer shows interest in fixing it up.

I'm not sure soundcrab ever worked properly either so maybe there is no current, stable VST plugin to use SF2 files under Linux? dssi and LV2 supporting hosts can use the fluidsynth plugins.