samples/samplers for beginners

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

samples/samplers for beginners

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

Greetings all!

Where to find a beginners tutorial, explaining in plain English how to set up Linuxsampler and whatever else associated to play musical instrument sample in Ubuntu? My usual platform is DreamStudio 12.04 LTS.

- My music production machine doesn't have functional online connection. Linuxsampler is not in Software Centre, so has to be downloaded from elsewhere, apparently, and then transferred. Where best to go to for this?

- In order to play/record samples, KXStudio has been mentioned. I'm still in the dark as to whether KXStudio is a substitute for DreamStudio or just another application within DreamStudio.

- My background is in jazz. Therefore, the main (sfz?) musical instruments I'd need would be:

trumpet;
trumpet (muted);
trumpet (growl);
clarinet;
alto sax;
tenor sax;
baritone sax;
bass sax;
trombone;
trombone (muted);
sousaphone or Bb tuba;
(jazz) violin (solo);
double bass (solo, plucked);
orchestral violin section;
orchestral viola section;
orchestral cello section

Where to get those from? Incidentally: guitar, banjo, bass guitar, drums and (to some extent) piano are 'live'.

tnob
gasperooch
Established Member

Re: samples/samplers for beginners

Post by gasperooch »

I'm kind of in the same boat here. I want to try linuxsampler but I'm running mint and I have failed miserably at adding KXstudio to my repository in order to download and install linuxsampler. I'm much more musician than linux user so it is very difficult for me to understand many of the how-to's on the matter... I hope someone can help us here.
raboof
Established Member

Re: samples/samplers for beginners

Post by raboof »

tnob wrote:Where to find a beginners tutorial, explaining in plain English how to set up Linuxsampler and whatever else associated to play musical instrument sample in Ubuntu?
Usually you don't use linuxsampler directly, but instead use a GUI frontend like qsynth. I'm not sure of any beginners' tutorials though, perhaps someone else can help.
tnob wrote:My music production machine doesn't have functional online connection. Linuxsampler is not in Software Centre, so has to be downloaded from elsewhere, apparently, and then transferred. Where best to go to for this?
That's inconvenient. I haven't had to deal with this yet, but 'apt-offline' sounds like it might be of use to you. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... pt-offline .
tnob wrote:My background is in jazz. Therefore, the main (sfz?) musical instruments I'd need would be
Those are a lot of wind instruments. In my personal experience, sampling wind instruments often gives somewhat disappointing results - but that might be because I'm a woodwind player myself, so I might be more picky :). I remember you were pleased with the sounds from Sibelius. Could you link to some sound examples from that, so we can get an idea of what kind of quality you're looking for?