noob questions about samples

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Norbert

noob questions about samples

Post by Norbert »

Hi, I've been looking into where to get samples. I know websites like ccmixter.org and freesound.org have samples, but I run into two problems: 1. lots of those samples are arrangements/songs by themselves instead of basic samples, 2. do I really need to manually search for one good sample after another? Is there a multiple gigabyte package I can download to get 1000+ of the 'best' (high quality) CC licensed samples of various instruments/music genres? If not, then I'm curious why not. Did nobody take the time to create one yet? (Because, isn't everyone running into the same things of having to search for high quality CC licensed samples? I know such things are available for $.) Also, maybe I'm wrong, but a lot of songs at SoundCloud seem to use samples that are more crisp/clear and high quality than what those sample websites have to offer?
aprzekaz
Established Member

Re: noob questions about samples

Post by aprzekaz »

I'm not sure if there is anything like this. It may be that many people have a different idea of what the best samples are. I've just been piecing together my own libraries from the sources you mentioned and making my own with Audacity. For some modern sounds I recently found this:

http://www.freesound.org/people/crispydinner/packs/
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Re: noob questions about samples

Post by AnthonyCFox »

Norbert wrote:Is there a multiple gigabyte package I can download to get 1000+ of the 'best' (high quality) CC licensed samples of various instruments/music genres?
No.
Norbert wrote: If not, then I'm curious why not.
Hosting, bandwidth and interest. Hosting and bandwidth cost money. And, even if those things weren't an issue, who wants to do the work? It's not a one time job either. People make samples pretty frequently and how would you stay on top of that? And why? Not many people want ALL the instruments.

I can suggest that linuxmusicians.com and kvraudio.com are two excellent places to find samples. Digital Sound Factory has reasonable prices too. The packs that are for Cakewalk Dimension are SFZ format and will work in LinuxSampler, Carla, and Sfozando Player, which works great in Wine.
War, crime, disease, starvation, extreme poverty; these are serious things.
Music? Not so serious. Have some fun! :D